• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Device to stop smoke smell/house smelling like weed

moonyham

Bluelighter
I live in a relatively nice place that I can't smoke inside of. It would be quite obvious if smoke resin was introduced to the walls of the place as it has definitely never been smoked in. Problem is I really like smoking inside. Id much rather be smoking while I watch a movie than go outside for 5min to smoke my joint.

In my head I've dreamed up an umbrella looking device that is attached to essentially a lamp holder that is positioned above where you want to smoke. Ie coming up over from behind the couch and hovering over where you sit.

This 'umbrella' would have a few fans ducting air through a hepa/carbon filter. Because smoke naturally rises it already mostly would go into the umbrella but any hand waving or smoke going a little out of range would in theory be sucked toward it and through the filter.

Does this currently exist? If not, would anyone be interested in such a product?

I found one mention of an invention like this called Spiro from 2013 but it seemed large and more for commercial premises with a smoking area like cafes. My idea is smaller and more personal, as in its designed for an individual smoker to enjoy a cigarette or joint in a particular lazyboy or whatever.

Last edited:
Combustion releases sometimes thousands of chemicals, the VOC's in that cloud stick to any soft furnishings and the dust is so fine that it can pass through even HEPA filters. I dont smoke i only vape weed have done so for last 6/7 years on and off this way and have found if i vape next to something like a small air purifier , really helps the room to not smell afterwards. That being said though a few growers have wanted what you want and simply use a grow filter to help deal with the majority of it. I must stress though that they are not intended for this purpose, if a hot ash ends up in one and it catches with the airflow, bad things could happen.
Buy an air purifier with a carbon filter in and see if it helps it i guess it will be a bit of a weird smoke for you if you have to keep exhaling into one spot lol

These work quite well when taking individual hits from a pipe or bong, but wouldn't work with a joint.

It's basically a mini hepa filter.

An ozone generator could work, but then you will be inhaling ozone and I don't think thats super healthy.

I live in a relatively nice place that I can't smoke inside of. It would be quite obvious if smoke resin was introduced to the walls of the place as it has definitely never been smoked in. Problem is I really like smoking inside. Id much rather be smoking while I watch a movie than go outside for 5min to smoke my joint.

In my head I've dreamed up an umbrella looking device that is attached to essentially a lamp holder that is positioned above where you want to smoke. Ie coming up over from behind the couch and hovering over where you sit.

This 'umbrella' would have a few fans ducting air through a hepa/carbon filter. Because smoke naturally rises it already mostly would go into the umbrella but any hand waving or smoke going a little out of range would in theory be sucked toward it and through the filter.

Does this currently exist? If not, would anyone be interested in such a product?

I found one mention of an invention like this called Spiro from 2013 but it seemed large and more for commercial premises with a smoking area like cafes. My idea is smaller and more personal, as in its designed for an individual smoker to enjoy a cigarette or joint in a particular lazyboy or whatever.

Smoke outside? [I have no idea where you live or whether weed is legal there, so discretion may be a factor].
I smoke (cigarettes) and have been temporarily [read: three fucking years] been stuck back living with my parents to due serious health problems. Neither of them smoke so I feel like it would be disrespectful to smoke in their house, so I always go out back, even if it's raining/snowing or like 3am.

I'd also look into scents that have a stronger or more dominant smell than weed. But ultimate, that shit is gonna get into the wallpaper, carpets, furniture fabric, your clothes and hair etc.
Have you considered alternate forms like edibles?

I do smoke outside but I have no shelter so if it's rainy or windy it kinda sucks. It's fine for the most part but on occasion I'd really love to be chilling on my couch smoking weed ya know?

These work quite well when taking individual hits from a pipe or bong, but wouldn't work with a joint.

It's basically a mini hepa filter.

Yeah I hate bongs, only smoke doobs.

Combustion releases sometimes thousands of chemicals, the VOC's in that cloud stick to any soft furnishings and the dust is so fine that it can pass through even HEPA filters. I dont smoke i only vape weed have done so for last 6/7 years on and off this way and have found if i vape next to something like a small air purifier , really helps the room to not smell afterwards. That being said though a few growers have wanted what you want and simply use a grow filter to help deal with the majority of it. I must stress though that they are not intended for this purpose, if a hot ash ends up in one and it catches with the airflow, bad things could happen.
Buy an air purifier with a carbon filter in and see if it helps it i guess it will be a bit of a weird smoke for you if you have to keep exhaling into one spot lol

I don't think an ember being sucked up above my head is likely but I'll look into it. Ill do a small trial with personal air filter and see how it goes.

only smoke doobs.
That's a problem if you want to reduce smell as joints have a cherry burning that emits smoke even when you're not hitting it. The smell permeates and absorbs into literally everything. Even a glass spoon pipe or chillum would reduce the smoke to a fraction of what a doob or blunt will create.

Second, I have a candle that is made for smoking. I forgot the name of it and I loaned it to a friend because I can't smoke inside where I live now. But you can probably find one in head shop or tobacco shop. It's more powerful than a regular scented candle and is made specifically for tobacco (or weed) smokers. The smoke literally binds itself to the weed smoke and replaces the odor with something more benign.

Third and something one of my friends turned me onto was that certain plants even filter out some of the air. I went and bought a corn plant called a Large Dracaena and a hanging vine plant. In my previous little one bedroom apartment I'm not sure if it helped a whole lot but I'm certain it didn't hurt either. Besides, a couple times a year the corn plant sprouts a flower or bud of some sort from the top that is like a foot long and kind of sappy or sticky. It emits a strong odor almost like incense but more natural since it is a plant after all.

Salutations MoonyHam,

...can't smoke inside... Id much rather be smoking while I watch a movie than go outside for 5min to smoke my joint.

Although i signed a renting contract in good faith our previous Couillard government adopted a law with unanymous support from all other political parties that some retro-active eviction right be given to landlords as a futile electoral gift. So Couillard lost his elections anyway but the result was there's nobody left to blame after confiscating a right that wasn't disputed when providing a signature on renting contracts. Actually a brief delay was granted for individuals to contest the procedure in front of administrators not specially favourable to "$toner$"/"droÿé$"; one of the multiple consequences for elders of the 3rd age who refuse such dishonnest subterfuge like having to care about neighbours more than ordinary ones whould, for example... Not to mention the law dictates a distance of 9 meters from all windows and doors while avoiding potential exposure to legally-vulnerable "minor$" now aged up to 21, euh...

...would anyone be interested in such a product?

An umbrella with forced airflow would be anything but suitable in terms of nuisance, like being energy wasteful and potentially noisy too... Better address the challenge at its root(s).

I found one mention of an invention...

Perhaps ashtrays with carbon filtering fans, but you'd still be seen and potentially video-recorded inhaling.

...designed for an individual smoker to enjoy a cigarette or joint in a particular lazyboy...

Combustion-vs-Vaporization-2017-Feb-28-480x250.png

[ https:// i.postimg.cc/jSSpjYZH/Combustion-vs-Vaporization-2017-Feb-28-480x250.png ]

My "tokeu" used to accomplish that as it even prevented most of my former clothing hole-making habit, as hashich smoker. But i converted to vaporism and satisfy with only dry flowers now, yet a visitor standing a few feet away from me while vaporizing in the appartment would have to focus hard to detect hints of a cannabic nature. Those never exposed wouldn't even be sure if that ain't just the kitchen instead...

Too bad it's exclusive to myself and nodoby wants to be involved with DiY + voiding a waranty anyway.

Good day, have fun!! ☮️

Last edited: