• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Detoxing off Xanax (amongt other things) how really bad is it?

ShadowedLight

Bluelighter
Detoxing off Xanax (amongst other things) how really bad is it?

Hey all,

I am going into detox very shortly (as soon as a bed is available) for oxy, codeine and Xanax. From what I've read Xanax is truly rotten to detox off.... is it really as terrible as I have read? I am taking roughly 6mg a day and they will be replacing it with Valium for detox I just have such a huge tolerance to Valium I am worried they're not going to medicate enough and it's going to make things oh so much worse iykwim?

Any help greatly appreciated :)

Last edited:
I had to detox from klonopin (similar to xanax) from 3mg/day to nothing after having a scrip for two years. The shaking and sweating was bearable and only lasted a few days. The anxiety that followed lasted quite a while longer though, a heavy anxiety feeling something like a continued panic attack only less acute. I wish you the best friend..

you cant try and taper off it, I suggest using Kava to help with WD'ing it helped me get off alcohol when i was a mad alcoholic, would drink a handle a day and I did that for like 2 years straight.

try to taper at the very least....or get some valium from your dr explaining what you are doing. Xanax is my favorite drug, but had the WORST withdrawals--so I am extremelly careful never to EVER get addicted to those again. In fact, my husband can't deal with worrying about me like that again, so he has my xanax and deals them out to me when I need it so that he makes sure I do not get addicted. I can, however, keep my own klonopin bc , although it works great, I don't have a love affair with it as I do xanax.

Factors that are gong to affect it is how much you've been taking and for how long. Xanax withdrawals can be life threatening. they can cause grand mal seizures, or quitting cold turkey can have a long term backfire type effect (I forgot the word). In your case, with all you are coming off of, I'd definitely recommend and addiction doctor to guide you through safely.

try to taper at the very least....or get some valium from your dr explaining what you are doing. Xanax is my favorite drug, but had the WORST withdrawals--so I am extremelly careful never to EVER get addicted to those again. In fact, my husband can't deal with worrying about me like that again, so he has my xanax and deals them out to me when I need it so that he makes sure I do not get addicted. I can, however, keep my own klonopin bc , although it works great, I don't have a love affair with it as I do xanax.

Factors that are gong to affect it is how much you've been taking and for how long. Xanax withdrawals can be life threatening. they can cause grand mal seizures, or quitting cold turkey can have a long term backfire type effect (I forgot the word). In your case, with all you are coming off of, I'd definitely recommend and addiction doctor to guide you through safely.

Sorry I see they are giving you valium to detox. Take what they prescribe. regardless of tolerance, it's going to keep you from having grand mals. You might want to say your tolerance to valium, but they should be able to tell by taking your blood pressure after valium is in your system. The time I came off xanax in detox, they used phenobarbital on me for aobut 4 days and it worked....I was physically find after that. I never jhear about that being used now.

Sorry I see they are giving you valium to detox. Take what they prescribe. regardless of tolerance, it's going to keep you from having grand mals. You might want to say your tolerance to valium, but they should be able to tell by taking your blood pressure after valium is in your system. The time I came off xanax in detox, they used phenobarbital on me for aobut 4 days and it worked....I was physically find after that. I never jhear about that being used now.

I am sure by tolerance he means amount needed to get him high. Sorry my friend in detox, you will not get any good feels. But they will keep you from feeling the nasty side of the WDs.

Thanks heaps! Yep not looking for any highs or anything, just the least painful as possible (if possible). Trying to be as informed as I possibly can be before I go in there :)

Grab some gabapentin. That and try to withdraw slow as you can afford to. the gabapentin in my case helped speed up and cushion withdrawal symptoms.

I am sure by tolerance he means amount needed to get him high. Sorry my friend in detox, you will not get any good feels. But they will keep you from feeling the nasty side of the WDs.

Oh yeah, they are NOT going to give you a dose that will get you high....that totally negates the purpose. The detox is meant to be medically safe, not to be completely comfortable, so don't think you can ask for higher doses because you aren't high enough. They will decide that for you by your BP and other vital signs. The whole point is to get you OFF the stuff.

I didn't find it too bad, but I'd only been taking Xanax for around three months and I was transitioning onto other medication. Just increased anxiety, no real withdrawal symptoms.

Thanks heaps everyone. Nope not looking to get high or anything, definitely looking to rid myself of the shit that's ruining my life :)

I'd see if the detox can give you librium to get you off xanax. I got that when I got off valium and ambien and it made detox very comfortable. When I left was a different story though.

I took gabapentin after I got off the benzos and it made things much worse for me. I'd be very cautious about what they give you on a long term basis (if anything). Also remember, you can refuse to take any medication in detox.

To answer your original question, benzo withdrawal really sucks but mine began slowly improving after two months of acute w/d.

I commend you for the courage it takes to stand up and ask for help (unlike I did decades ago , and ended up overdosing in ER which forced me into rehab). It really won't be that bad. It'll be 100 times better and safer than doing it on your own. Medically speaking, they do want to be sure you are ok and your vitals will be checked and you will be given the necessary meds to handle your wd symptoms. My question is, after detox, are you going into an inpatient rehab program to address the psychological part of the addiction?

Thanks all, I'll be home managed after detox. I have three kids and live in a small rural town and they thought this would be the best option for me. I already have my MH counsellor come to my home once a week but there will also be an AOD nurse and counsellor also coming weekly from what little I've been told so far.

I guess I'm just worried about what to expect in terms of WD especially being around a group of people where I can't just hide in my dark corner iykwim?