• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe Detoxing after a 3 year heroin/suboxone addiction cold turkey

jorck

Greenlighter
I have been using heroin for 3-4 days a week and suboxone 3-4 days a week for the last 3 years. I was using 1-2grams of heroin and 8-16mg suboxone daily. I did a small detox last year cold turkey and it was horrible, but i made it past the major symptoms and relapsed. I decided to do it again and tapered down to .5mg suboxone for the last day or two and that was now 10 days ago.

I expected to wake up in the morning feeling horrible, but surprisingly I wasn't sick at all for about 5 days. All I got was a little chill now and then, slept like a baby and everything was good. Starting on day 6 I got restless legs, pretty bad chills, constant yawning and pretty exhausted but it is completely bearable. I really expected to get extremely sick, but this is a walk in the park. MY symptoms are slowly subsiding and now all I have is the yawning and exhaustion which I expect to resolve in the next week or so.

I just wanted to post this to give people hope that it is not completely terrible and in my experience tapering down REALLY worked and made my withdrawals pretty much nonexistent compared to how they are usually. Even after 3 years of constant use there is still a light at the end of the tunnel.

Thank you and good luck.

Good job dude, that is great to hear! I hope you stay strong!

so on the days you did subs you did only subs and the days h only h?

it wasn't hard to go back and forth like that?

Good job dude, that is great to hear! I hope you stay strong!

so on the days you did subs you did only subs and the days h only h?

it wasn't hard to go back and forth like that?

Sometimes i would take suboxone overnight then switch in the morning. Not really a problem except the suboxone and h never worked as well as they could switching back and forth. I would do h from friday-monday most of the time then suboxone the rest of the week.

And thanks. I'm still going strong.

Great achievement man! Now it is about staying clean and get involved in non-Drug activities, hobbies and such.

But how is it that I get severe withdrawals from only 0,5mg Buprenorphine when I never even used H? :(
I guess I am just fucked^^

Great achievement man! Now it is about staying clean and get involved in non-Drug activities, hobbies and such.

But how is it that I get severe withdrawals from only 0,5mg Buprenorphine when I never even used H? :(
I guess I am just fucked^^

Depends how long you used and for each person is different I guess. I feel like I dodged a bullet. Stopping from 4mg a day was about 100x worse than .5mg a day for me. I tapered from 8mg a day, to 4mg a day, then 2mg then for 2 days on .5mg. I didn't do a long taper like they suggest. But the week taper worked for me. I was basically symptomless for 5-6 days, then RLS started, lasted until day 11, and now i'm just really tired all the time and can't stop yawning. Also I can only get a decent sleep every other night with the help of diphenhydramine. Stopping at .5mg for me was like a mild cold compared to 4mg which was a terrible flu. Hope this helped.

Also I'm going to guess the taper helps no matter how much you take. I was used to 8-16mg and drastically reduced and you are used to .5mg.

Yeah - jumping off 0.5mg should be quite manageable. I jumped from 2mg, which I regretted, although circumstances kind of forced my hand. That was pretty unpleasant, although quite manageable - just dragged on for way too long. I was in cold sweat every morn for around 4 weeks, took around 3-4 days from my last dose (@2mg) to start feeling 'sick' and peaked after about a week.

There's a reason people use suboxone to taper off their addiction, it does work. And, I've never come off long term MMT (only ever short term), but my wife has - and as I understand it, you're much better off switching to bupe for the last month or two and jumping from that.

Yeah - jumping off 0.5mg should be quite manageable. I jumped from 2mg, which I regretted, although circumstances kind of forced my hand. That was pretty unpleasant, although quite manageable - just dragged on for way too long. I was in cold sweat every morn for around 4 weeks, took around 3-4 days from my last dose (@2mg) to start feeling 'sick' and peaked after about a week.

There's a reason people use suboxone to taper off their addiction, it does work. And, I've never come off long term MMT (only ever short term), but my wife has - and as I understand it, you're much better off switching to bupe for the last month or two and jumping from that.

The PAWS for me has been absolute hell. They came a while after acute symptoms cleared up. I have absolutely no energy to do anything.

Yeah - PAWS is soul-destroying.. I think it is the main reason so many of us relapse. Acute stage WD is obviously incredibly unpleasant, but you can actually manage to work yourself into a positive state of mind, thinking how you're doing the right thing, all that. You can focus and because it is acute, often you're not trying to do anything else (in life).

Once you get into PAWS though, suddenly you're no longer 'detoxing' - now you're clean. Now you have to start piecing together your life and the whole while you just feel like you want to kill yourself; severe anxiety, depression, lethargy, etc.. And it can last weeks, months, years even.