• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

"Designer-Drug Death" 2C-T-7 article in Rolling Stone

I would tell you all to use the search function to find posts on the Salvia article in SPIN, but I'm nice. And I'm not a moderator so I don't get so easily tired of people asking questions on the board :)
http://www.alchemind.org/DLL/spin_salvia.htm
This article really makes you want to break off the limbs of Gideon Yago and use them to beat some sense into them. Any retard with an internet connection could probably find out within five minutes that this article is extremely uninformed. I think his punishment should be some forced Salvia experiments, like what exactly happens when about a gram of Salvinorin A is injected directly into the brain.
-ikarus

i'd like to take another second to thank everyone for the kind, supportive emails.
it is nice to think that the masses might read this and learn something, but more tragically i think it is written with a sensationalistic angle.
the media wants people like me to roll over and play nice because they have money. i have none. i'm a musician, and the writer said "i might be able to get my music editor to review your music". this guy did nothing.
he pocketed $15,000 for writing this story and he gave no deference to the people who inspired him to write the story. he left out important details, and nothing that he wrote was ever confirmed by any of the people mentioned in the story. he threw in unnecessary, derogatory commentary that is not based in fact to sensationalize the subject.
this article was probably not intended to impress recreational users of psychedelics, so you can't expect very much. i told the writer that i thought it must be amateur hour at rolling stone. i guess i was right.
http://www.mp3.com/ericjayfriedman

i hope you're okay too, sweety. give my love to low-low and lil' ray-ray kids.

Such a sad story. Just goes to show you that he didnt know everything he thought he did. I am willing to bet my life that he eye balled a dose to snort and did way to much. Just goes to show you that you can never be to careful with drugs.
~Likwid

I think an important lesson also here is to not wait until someones dead to get them to hospital. I'm not 100% on the laws in the US but it is my understanding if you're brought into ER with a OD then you can be charged (fucked up law).
I'd rather my mates took me to hospital and got charged, than die...

The only reason i havent ordered up a truckload of AMT is because i cant find anyone with an accurate enough scale and im not about to buy one. The dosage with research chems is very crucial, and all of the "drug" sites (erowid) stress this over and over and over, and, as a result, in my opinion something about this story is NOT right. maybe its just me being paranoid?... And it scares me that he was so similar to me also. so very sad, but it's not the drugs fault.

Well, the article has some real flaws... factual errors, mostly. If Shiney's accusations are true, then that's *very* disturbing as well.
However, this article on the whole was much less bad than I was expecting. The article portrays the incident as tragic, but nowhere does it say 2C-T-7 is some evil new drug menace. It only mentions one supplier, mainly because that supplier was dumb enough to give an interview. The author knew of other suppliers and of other research chemicals, and true to his word (I was interviewed by him months ago) he didn't mention any of them.
This article is remarkably hysteria free. In the blurb on the table of contents page, the author even goes out of his way to say that thousands of people have used the drug safely, and that Josh's incident can't be taken as proof that its a bad drug. In the main article there are some good quotes from Shulgin, and there's a good number of indications that Josh brought this on himself by reckless use of a drug he'd never taken.
It would've been nice had this article not come out and T7 could've been kept quiet a little longer... but something like this was inevitable after all the hype and the deaths. Lets just be glad that when this story came out, it didn't come from some hysterical anti-drug crusader out to destroy the psychedelic research scene.

[Reposted from a post I made on usenet:]
Noticed some big discrepancies...
Rolling Stone version: Josh and friend were at hotel alone. Josh freaked
out. Friend called some other friends to come to hotel and help. Josh was
put into friend's car. Friend ran into hotel to get belongings. Sheriff
came to handle noise complaint, but left after speaking to friend. Friend
came back out. Josh was in car spazzing out and hitting head against
dashboard. Friend called other friend, and drove Josh to other friend's
house. Friends notice Josh is dead, try to give CPR. Second friend runs
into house and puts on jeans, gets jeans to try putting on Josh. Friends
drove Josh to hospital.
Erowid version: Josh and friend were at unspecified location with other
people. Josh freaked out. Someone took Josh out to parking lot. Sheriff
visited the location for a noise complaint, but left because it had
settled down. At some point after sheriff left, Josh's friend went outside
and found Josh unconscious in the car in a strange position. Friend
realized Josh needed help, drove immediately to hospital. Josh was
unresponsive the whole way there. Friend believes Josh died en route.
Obviously, these two versions of the story do not match up on many crucial
details.
Shiney, could you clear things up a little? Also, did you ever
hear any details on the coroner's report? The local newspaper said the
coroners had ruled it an ecstasy overdose in their preliminary report, but
this may have changed after lab tests came back. Mr. Boal did not seem to
have bothered checking up on this crucial aspect of the story.
I spoke with the Erowid staff about their version of the story and they mentioned that their informant on the story did mention that they were at a hotel and that the friend called up some other people to come help deal with Josh. Theres still some disparity with the RS version though... according to RS, Josh ran naked out of the hotel and the people intercepted him in the parking lot, while the Erowid version has it that the friends came and carried him out to the parking lot. Then in the RS version, they all put Josh in the car and he was banging his head on the dashboard... while in the Erowid version, the original friend was still in the hotel dealing with the sheriff then came out and found Josh unconscious in the car. This information makes the two versions of the story above match a little better, but there's still some big disparities.

i dont want to continue to comment on the specifics of this story any further. i just hope it helps someone and you will hear more later if need be.

Well, its your decision, but I think you're making the wrong one in letting Rolling Stone have the final word when you don't think they have the facts straight. If nothing else, their version of the story seems like it could set you up for liability law suits. I also think that you'll regret not following up on the anonymity issue. Your call, but I'd urge you to reconsider.
I am working on an update to my 2C-T-7 paper, and Josh's story is going to be a major element of the new version. I will give you a copy of the story before I release it to the public, in case you change your mind and decide you want to correct any facts.
Well, best of luck to you whatever you decide to do. I certainly could understand wanting to put this all behind you. I just would recommend for your own sake that you get it behind you on your terms, not Rolling Stone's.
[ 17 January 2002: Message edited by: Murple ]

all i'm saying is that i think this is the inappropriate forum to go into detail on this matter. i've already spoken my peace here, and the rest will unfold in due time. i hope jann wenner pays his lawyers well.

I HAVE READ THIS Article. like any drug or raw material it must be properly dosed. it is a very tragic and mind blowing story but the realization is this drug is currently making a huge uprising in atlanta on the party scene. everybody who is going to use it should read and understand all its doses and potential side effects. people need to be careful and smart about their consumption.

Its going around Atlanta? In what form? Gelcaps? What dose, how much is it being sold for, what are they calling it, etc? Thanks.

Shiney - I think I know what youre getting at, and if so, best of wishes. Let us know what you can when you can.

First of all - Murple, it's good to see you around these parts again. :)
I think the article was a crock of shit, as are most articles written about drugs by general-media journalists. But, it could have been worse. There not much you can do about it now.
The supplier... why not give an interview? He's already been raided and lost everything, and because of that raid, won't ever be able to sell those types of products again anyway. Why not get his name and company in a global magazine, to increase his business of selling the products he still can?
The other thing I don't think anyone noticed is in the supplier interview, he specifically mentions the DEA confiscated his customer records, with names and addresses. You could almost infer he was warning people who had ordered from him to be careful.
*Edited bc I forgot the supplier's name is banned.
[ 25 January 2002: Message edited by: Daisybabe ]

wow, that story scared the shit out of me.......i had a close call on new years....kinda the same story with the "heart not able to handle all the pressure".........i was lucky, i lived......and like the other guy in the article......i'm scared sober.........fuck, i get nervous smoking cigarettes now.

Originally posted by Daisybabe:

The supplier... why not give an interview? He's already been raided and lost everything, and because of that raid, won't ever be able to sell those types of products again anyway. Why not get his name and company in a global magazine, to increase his business of selling the products he still can?

Well, because the initial interview happened before the raid. The supplier in question had given an interview to Ladies Home Journal about DXM last year too... I think the guy's idealism has blinded him to the fact that he is a prime target of the entire US drug war leviathan.

The other thing I don't think anyone noticed is in the supplier interview, he specifically mentions the DEA confiscated his customer records, with names and addresses. You could almost infer he was warning people who had ordered from him to be careful.

I think its common sense to realize that the DEA has these customer records. I dont think most customers need to worry though... If anyone needs to worry, its probably just people who made large repeated purchases of chemicals. Seems likely that the only people who need to really worry are the owners of this and other chemical supply companies. Who knows though, we are living in the age of the Bush War On Terror and Drugs.
[ 26 January 2002: Message edited by: Murple ]

Alucard_X : if your friend had Risperdal prescribed for him, he most likely has a serious mental illness such as psychosis that would make him very sensitive to both psychedelic's and stimulants. If so, he shouldn't really be doing them. In general, it's not a good idea to give someone on rec. drugs a medicine you aren't very familiar with (due to potential for adverse interactions). It sounds like it worked OK for your friend, but I wouldn't suggest other people do it.(sorry it's slightly off topic, but I thought it needed to be said).

is there a photo of josh somewhere so we can put a face to this tragic accident .