• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Designer Benzodiazepines: A Review of Toxicology and Public Health Risks

kokaino

Bluelighter
This recent (2008-2021) study reporting 14 deaths in that period, among other department admissions for some, emergency department admissions, commissions of crimes while under the influence of a benzo, DUI's. Similar data exists for prescribed benzos. Anyhow, Phenazepam was implicated at a moderately higher rate in adverse-events, drug offenses, and deaths. Phenazepam was followed by Flubromazolam, then Flualprazolam, and Etizolam. However, between only 2019-2021, it were Flubromazolam, Flualprazolam, and Etizalom were the most implicated of the designer benzos. There's a difference between rates and tallies. Tallies for lorazepam, clonazepam, and alprazolam would, of course, be higher and yet it would have a lower rate (or likelyhood of causing adverse effects, death, etc). Clonazepam is most definitely a hypnotic. Temazepam and Zolpidem have higher rates of deaths among prescribed benzos I know that for sure. Then they're followed by lorazepam and alprazolam. Though temazepam prescriptions have dropped by up to 60% in some states. Even though I noticed the trend of it around 2011/2012, but scripts dropped dramatically after 2015. You will likely be given trazadone, mirtazpine, quetiapine, zopiclone, zolpidem, or even a low dose diazepam or alprazolam before they start thinking of just handing out a temazepam script. Triazolam saw the same dramatic decline around 2000.

But this is really interesting about phenazepam. Although the number of users was way smaller, it still may have had a slightly higher rate than temazepam. Not sure tho.

SourceThe rising use of designer benzodiazepines (DBZD) is a cat-and-mouse game between organized crime and law enforcement. Non-prohibited benzodiazepines are introduced onto the global drug market and scheduled as rapidly as possible by international authorities. In response, DBZD are continuously modified to avoid legal sanctions and drug seizures and generally to increase the abuse potential of the DBZD. This results in an unpredictable fluctuation between the appearance and disappearance of DBZD in the illicit market. Thirty-one DBZD were considered for review after consulting the international early warning database, but only 3-hydroxyphenazepam, adinazolam, clonazolam, etizolam, deschloroetizolam, diclazepam, flualprazolam, flubromazepam, flubromazolam, meclonazepam, phenazepam and pyrazolam had sufficient data to contribute to this scoping review. A total of 49 reports describing 1 drug offense, 2 self-administration studies, 3 outpatient department admissions, 44 emergency department (ED) admissions, 63 driving under the influence of drugs (DUID) and 141 deaths reported between 2008 and 2021 are included in this study. Etizolam, flualprazolam flubromazolam and phenazepam were implicated in the majority of adverse-events, drug offenses and deaths. However, due to a general lack of knowledge of DBZD pharmacokinetics and toxicity, and due to a lack of validated analytical methods, total cases are much likely higher. Between 2019 and April 2020, DBZD were identified in 48% and 83% of postmortem and DUID cases reported to the UNODC, respectively, with flualprazolam, flubromazolam and etizolam as the most frequently detected substances. DBZD toxicology, public health risks and adverse events are reported.

factually phenazepam was the only benzo that ever gave me problems, well blackout wise not addiction wise. I contribute it directly to the long half-life. I was also prescribed temazepam for about 5 years and found them quite nice but over stigmatized and honestly not alot better than clonaz or alpraz buzz wise.

Following up getting into any kind of trouble on RC benzos some I know after being asked “what you have took?”, always say, “a bit too much Xanax” . Cuz of, reason.. I wonder how usual is this when someone gets tested only via standard urine test indicating benzo was used but not what benzo, probably not very usual as most people don’t really value their privacy.

^not sure but I can tell you I was on RC benzos while taking 2 UAs a month sent to one of if not THE biggest testing corp in the US. PM me if you want to know who lol.

Never had a single problem. I do know how to line up metabolites so it would be quite difficult to get the exact answer they wanted however. They would have had to go to a third metabolite of a prescription to see the diversion in metabolites. (to my understanding, alsotapered would have a better understanding than me)

Actually I think it wasn't getting flagged at all because when I finally tapered low enough to switch back onto my prescription I was immediately called and asked if I had a prescription for kpin. "umm yes for over 20 years now" what i took as a suprise pause....type type type. ''yup that looks right''.

However flubromazolam rang for alp which was obviously a problem.

Now I have never been in any legal trouble on an rc benzo but I did have to undergo surgery. No problems. I have been snatched up by the pigs and blood tested on some far out were gunna take a shot at you nonsense (keep in mind the RC was being used as medically as one can, I wasnt flyin high and mumbling or under any suspicion of innebreation; after that failed they tried a covid test THEY WERE LOOKING FOR A REASON TO HOLD ME. Nothin there either.

Etizolam & Deschloroetizolam were both amazing anxiolytic medications (Etizolam is a genuine pharmaceutical in Japan, Italy, India) while it’s de-chlorinated analog is an RC benzo (Thienotriazolodiazepine)

Diclazepam (2-Chloro-Diazepam) was actually synthesized by the same chemist who made Valium (Diazepam) and Klonopin (Clonazepam). While being a functional analog of Diazepam (Valium) …..Diclazepam is far from it, besides being a VERY long acting benzodiazepine anxiolytic

Diclazepam metabolizes into 3 licensed pharmaceutical benzodiazepine drugs…..the most significant is Delorazepam (licensed in Italy as a long acting anxiolytic) which has a VERY long duration of action / half-life…..which in turn then metabolizes into it final active metabolite, Lorazepam (Ativan) which is also a very effective and highly regarded anxiolytic, muscle relaxant, sedative, hypnotic, etc

Diazepam & Lorazepam are the two main anxiolytic medications used in hospital setting to rapidly sedated violent or aggressive patients, and are both very effective anxiolytic medications….although Diazepam (Valium) has much more prominent muscle relaxant properties.

Essentially the KING of benzodiazepines…. Valium (Diazepam) 10mg tablets (3-5 tablets for a 6’ 240lbs man)

Bah I disagree strongly with diazepam being the king of benzos. In what department or way? Maybe the gold standard or yard stick as morphine is with opioids and cadilacs with cars? Temazepam = better buzz. Flubromazolam - Longer half life and stronger. Clonazolam- my personal favorite but the one i have the most experience with.

Clonazepam is mostly used as an anticonvulsant & sedative (obviously still possessing anxiolytic properties). A patient with epilepsy would be prescribed Clonazepam/Klonopin

Diazepam (Valium) on the other hand has VERY prominent activity at every GABA-A subunit …..specifically psychological/mental & physical anxiety reduction, in addition to powerful muscle relaxant properties….followed by anticonvulsant, sedative, and hypnotic properties.

I have an impressive inventory of both these items and Valium (Diazepam) is HANDS DOWN the Ultimate benzodiazepine.

^not sure but I can tell you I was on RC benzos while taking 2 UAs a month sent to one of if not THE biggest testing corp in the US. PM me if you want to know who lol.

Never had a single problem. I do know how to line up metabolites so it would be quite difficult to get the exact answer they wanted however. They would have had to go to a third metabolite of a prescription to see the diversion in metabolites. (to my understanding, alsotapered would have a better understanding than me)

Actually I think it wasn't getting flagged at all because when I finally tapered low enough to switch back onto my prescription I was immediately called and asked if I had a prescription for kpin. "umm yes for over 20 years now" what i took as a suprise pause....type type type. ''yup that looks right''.

However flubromazolam rang for alp which was obviously a problem.

Now I have never been in any legal trouble on an rc benzo but I did have to undergo surgery. No problems. I have been snatched up by the pigs and blood tested on some far out were gunna take a shot at you nonsense (keep in mind the RC was being used as medically as one can, I wasnt flyin high and mumbling or under any suspicion of innebreation; after that failed they tried a covid test THEY WERE LOOKING FOR A REASON TO HOLD ME. Nothin there either.
I was thing more of getting into legal trouble. Luckily where I am testing employees for drugs is exception not a rule but sadly it’s getting some momentum in certain sectors lately.

Etizolam & Deschloroetizolam were both amazing anxiolytic medications (Etizolam is a genuine pharmaceutical in Japan, Italy, India) while it’s de-chlorinated analog is an RC benzo (Thienotriazolodiazepine)

Diclazepam (2-Chloro-Diazepam) was actually synthesized by the same chemist who made Valium (Diazepam) and Klonopin (Clonazepam). While being a functional analog of Diazepam (Valium) …..Diclazepam is far from it, besides being a VERY long acting benzodiazepine anxiolytic

Diclazepam metabolizes into 3 licensed pharmaceutical benzodiazepine drugs…..the most significant is Delorazepam (licensed in Italy as a long acting anxiolytic) which has a VERY long duration of action / half-life…..which in turn then metabolizes into it final active metabolite, Lorazepam (Ativan) which is also a very effective and highly regarded anxiolytic, muscle relaxant, sedative, hypnotic, etc

Diazepam & Lorazepam are the two main anxiolytic medications used in hospital setting to rapidly sedated violent or aggressive patients, and are both very effective anxiolytic medications….although Diazepam (Valium) has much more prominent muscle relaxant properties.

Essentially the KING of benzodiazepines…. Valium (Diazepam) 10mg tablets (3-5 tablets for a 6’ 240lbs man)
If I have used etizolam as it’s used in countries where it’s prescribed I would mostly only experienced positive sides of use, at least for a very long time but sadly I used big recreational doses as did/do a lot of people who get it on RC/grey market. Still I would say it’s far better than just about any widely prescribed benzo.

To me diazepam is king of benzos only if I consider muscle relaxing properties.

Bah I disagree strongly with diazepam being the king of benzos. In what department or way? Maybe the gold standard or yard stick as morphine is with opioids and cadilacs with cars? Temazepam = better buzz. Flubromazolam - Longer half life and stronger. Clonazolam- my personal favorite but the one i have the most experience with.
Me too, its more like the benzo with the broadest spectrum. Anti-convulsant, anxiolytic, muscle relaxer, hypnotic and tapering agent.
Personally its the lingering duration that is the worst side effect. Up to 2/ 3 days after cessation.

Temazepam is indeed the better buzz, the GHB of benzo's.

personally I didnt find temazepam worth the stigma. But it was undeniably a more fulfilling benzo than kpins.

personally I didnt find temazepam worth the stigma. But it was undeniably a more fulfilling benzo than kpins.
Maybe it was because it were the haydays's of my drug use. Never had GHB or ( ab ) used Alcohol. But that 15 mg gelcap had quite an effect, very gentle and very relaxing yet uplifting. It was at the half of my work day but it didn't impaire me or feel any anxiety going to the next client.

But it did come on strong, way more the expected. I was about benzo naive at that time. But it was warm and distinct from other benzo's experience's later on.

I shoulda just hit like haha. Temazepam is a better benzo no questions asked; however I was prescribed 3 30s a day and went to fill them one month. (WALGREENS)! and was told by the pharmacist "I think your doctor got your dosage wrong" to which I responded "definitely not, pull your computer up this happens every month" .... "Well I still would like to talk to your doctor before filling this" ...... "are you accusing me of prescription fraud right now!?!?" ... "No of course not we just have to be sure" (RIGHT...)

so a more honest answer is it wasn't worth the harassment I was taking from the pharmacy. I still dream of switching back to Temaz but I know that isnt a simple ask away.