Mental Health Depression of biblical Job proportions

Ken73

Greenlighter
Hello my name is Ken and I'm fighting sever depression and addiction. I've recently stop taking Zoloft as it doesn't work for me and too many side effects. I've been self medicating with kratom and it has work but the cost and soon illegality of it has made me try to quit. So here comes withdrawals and even more depression. I need to find a way out and a medication that relieves my depression and doesn't kill my motivation. I've heard goods things about Wellbutrin? Any suggestions on medications and getting of this Kratom rollercoaster?

Hello Ken, welcome to Bluelight. Self-medicating with kratom is a very slippery slope and as many people here can attest to but I certainly understand wanting relief from crushing depression. Has your depression been diagnosed as clinical by a qualified doctor? That should always be the first step. Finding a doctor that is knowledgeable and compassionate, who listens and weighs the pros and cons of each medication with you is what you need. I realize that doctors like this are few and far between but they do exist and since you will be working with him/her for a long time its worth the initial effort.

Have you examined your life for possible roots to your depression. Many people feel there is something wrong with them because they cannot be happy when in fact the lives they are living are making that impossible. Therapy with a qualified professional should be like a pain clinic for a chronic pain patient--in other words exploring every available option, medicinal and non-medicinal. Non-medicinal is always preferable if possible as there are no side effects, no chance for addiction or rising tolerance etc.

I know people that have been prescribed Wellbutrin along with zoloft that are happy with the outcome but this is really just anecdotal information. Every body and every brain are different and each person's depression may have different causes so in a way its every individual for him/her self. This is why it is so important to get a good doctor or psychiatrist.

I guess I would respectfully disagree with herby that kratom is always a slippery slope. It doesn't feel the same after a couple of weeks, but then it sort of levels out. That was my experience. But I'm in a similar boat: I obviously won't be taking it if the government makes it completely illegal to use (against all logic).

Of course there are those who literally built up to taking an ounce (28 grams) of kratom at a time. I was disciplined enough to not let that happen.

It is possible that kratom won't be rendered illegal. If it is, then of course we won't be using it. If it isn't made illegal, and you can stay at a constant dose that isn't a high dose, from what I've read, the danger isn't high (beyond some constipation). I guess somehow I'm assuming that your dose is quite high, I could be wrong.

Wellbutrin is definitely a unique drug. For motivation and depression, it may be worth a shot. It worked for me for a long time, a very long time. Unfortunately, I tried getting back on it a few times after that, and it didn't work.

Also, something doesn't have to be an energizing drug per se, for it to increase motivation. Depression can cause lack of motivation, so drugs that aren't directly stimulating but that decrease depression can help motivation.