Mental Health Depression after opiate binge??

OwlEyed87

Greenlighter
Hi. My friend binged one night on instant release dihydrocodeine 30mg pills two months ago as she was depressed and they immediately wiped the depression away and made her forget all her problems. She felt great, euphoria, nice warm itchy feeling. The next few days after taking them however she was feeling very depressed and anxious with no appetite etc. Is this a comedown and is this normal with opiates after coming back to reality? First post and thanks for reading. Ps she took 900mg of dihydrocodeine that night in total.

Its neither bizarre or normal. Depression can be a common problem with comedowns but usually only for those who are addicted or have prior depression (quite like your friend). It sounds more like its just her depression getting worse for a short time period, unrelated to opiates.

Is your friend an addict?

Opioids are reserved as a very last resort treatment for depression, but they are known for worsening of depression on the comedown/withdrawal. There are adaptations than can occur even in a very short time, and the music will be faced once the drug comes of their system.

One of the adaptations are the receptors responsible for the euphoria (mu opoids receptors - MORs) are normally coupled to inhibitory pathways, but after opioid use, the receptors begin to couple to excitatory pathways. Activation of these excitatory coupled MORs could cause the symptoms they experienced. The other thing is that inflammation can be causal of some depression and opioids can encourage neuroinflammation, as well as disrupt sleep architecture.

I think long term treatments like psychotherapy/CBT, mindfulness (or mindfulness based CBT), as well as cardio and medications should be considered instead of opioids.

Totally normal for me at least. I have pre-existing depression, and I always feel particularly depressed and shitty all around when I come off oxy or hydrocodone. Nothing comes free, not even that warm itchy opiate rush :(.

Opioids are reserved as a very last resort treatment for depression, but they are known for worsening of depression on the comedown/withdrawal. There are adaptations than can occur even in a very short time, and the music will be faced once the drug comes of their system.

One of the adaptations are the receptors responsible for the euphoria (mu opoids receptors - MORs) are normally coupled to inhibitory pathways, but after opioid use, the receptors begin to couple to excitatory pathways. Activation of these excitatory coupled MORs could cause the symptoms they experienced. The other thing is that inflammation can be causal of some depression and opioids can encourage neuroinflammation, as well as disrupt sleep architecture.

I think long term treatments like psychotherapy/CBT, mindfulness (or mindfulness based CBT), as well as cardio and medications should be considered instead of opioids.

So so so true

I self medicated with oxy + alcohol for my mild-moderate depression 2-3 years ago. I wanted to kill myself almost every day, so in a sense the oxy did work, as I was always looking forward to the next dose enough to keep me alive. Once a week turns into twice a week, then 3-4x a week, and then I realized what I was getting myself into.

Forced myself to stop and went through a really bad period where every single day seemed so incredibly bleak. I still slipped up once in a while but with the mindfulness CBT online training I was doing, knew not to beat myself up over it and just accept the fact it happened and move on.

Exercise helps a great deal as well, but I am wary of taking any medication.

Makes perfect sense, especially for someone who already has depression in the first place.

Opiates make you feel so good, it is only natural for whatever was hurting you to become magnified when the drug wears off and your dopamine drops back to its original levels

Hi. My friend binged one night on instant release dihydrocodeine 30mg pills two months ago as she was depressed and they immediately wiped the depression away and made her forget all her problems. She felt great, euphoria, nice warm itchy feeling. The next few days after taking them however she was feeling very depressed and anxious with no appetite etc. Is this a comedown and is this normal with opiates after coming back to reality? First post and thanks for reading. Ps she took 900mg of dihydrocodeine that night in total.

Hmm but isn't this sort of neglecting the idea that they were already depressed. Perhaps it was withdrawal and/or caused some kind of effect on the receptors, or perhaps it was psychosomatic and was heightened by the abrupt return to their depressed reality, or some kind of anxiety relating to the fact that they've just stepped outside of it and that such behaviour clearly isn't functional.