Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Depressing Films

aha there is one scene in that film which really really shocked me to the core, didn't feel the same for 2-3 days after that lol, still would watch it again for the first time

powerful stuff!

21 grams and Once Were Warriors are both completely depressing. So is An American Crime.

'Life of Oharu' is a really great, really bleak Japanese flick. Its whole message is essentially "Life sucks sometimes - either it gets better, or you die miserably". 'Sansho the Bailiff' is another great (and pretty darn depressing) film from the same director.

blindness-final-poster-full.jpg

At the risk of turning this into a Julianne Moore thread, (this is the 4th movie of hers on this page alone) this movie immediately pops into mind when I think of depressing movies. I watched it once and will never watch it again.

Wolf_Creek_web_poster.jpg

Just thinking about this one makes me depressed as hell. It's just such a dismal, bleak little movie.

Last edited:
most of the movies i consider truly depressing have already been named (the war zone, dancer in the dark, requiem for a dream etc.).
another movie i found to be both exhilarating and depressing at the same time is ex drummer. it's a belgian movie that makes trainspotting look like disney. also eden lake, sleep tight and funny games.

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas was pretty depressing.

The first Silent Hill movie was too I guess.

I dunno, not a lot of movies make me depressed because I know they are just movies.

while it's not depressing from start to finish, Loves of a Blonde [spoil]has a bleak ending.[/spoil]

harmony korine doesn't always make the most upbeat films.

Watch Whores Glory... it's actually a documentary about prostitutes. It was such a good film and oddly left me feeling depressed especially some of the words of the girls. It got to me and usually nothing really does.

Girl 27

Girl 27 is a 2007 documentary film about the 1937 rape of MGM movie extra Patricia Douglas (1917-2003), the front-page news stories that followed, and the subsequent cover-up of the entire event. Also covered are a similar assault on singer Eloise Spann and her subsequent suicide, as well as the better known scandal involving actress Loretta Young and her "adopted" daughter Judy Lewis. The filmmaker, David Stenn, uses first-person interviews and vintage film footage and music to explore the political power of movie studios in 1930's Hollywood as well as public attitudes toward sexual assault that discouraged victims from coming forward. The filmmaker's dogged pursuit of Douglas and their subsequent friendship is a consistent theme throughout.

This movie rocked me to the core. The things I learned and the pain I saw was incredible enough, but to know that society and these particular men in power abused and oppressed women so horrifically....I was at a loss for thoughts.
This will makes you see that Hollywood has never been truly golden.

Ghost World kinda depressed me. I related so much with Thora Birch's character and the ending was bleak/ambiguous enough to leave me feeling pretty bummed afterwards.

Still, a very good movie.

have you read the graphic novel? it doesn't have scarlett johansson in it. still worthwhile. the movie leans more directly on the girls' comments for laughs; the comic critiques the detached outlook that those comments result from for an even darker humor. while the movie certainly is showing that the girls are using their dry wit as a barrier from life and the comic does occasionally go for a dialogue-driven laugh that is not ironic, the comic digs a little deeper.

i don't remember the last shot of the film. the last frame of the graphic novel had me crying.

both are good stuff.

Loosing Isaiah
Dead man walking
I am Sam
The Lovely Bones
I love the movie Forest Gump, but the part where he's talking to Jenny's grave gets me everytime!

Oh and Monster....great movie but I think the story of Aileen Wuornos is really depressing

Animal Kingdom--about an Australian teenager who gets caught up in all kinds of shit when his mother ODs and he has to move in with the rest of his family who are a bunch of psychotic criminals, with his grandmother being the evil boss of the crew. Very good movie but depressing.

Requiem for a dream, hands down. It doesn't attempt to shock and depress, but does because of its clinically detached look at addiction. I'll never get the final montage scene out my mind. (Arm gangrene! Withdrawals! Electroshock therapy by force! Brutal dildos!)...and the Lux Aeterna music piece was haunting to me.

The Rules of Attraction
The-Rules-of-Attraction.-006.jpg
This film became more depressing after reading all the reviews from people who said it was a reflection of their college experience. However, when I reminded myself that the dude from Dawson's Creek -- who played the lead role surprisingly well -- is Patrick Bateman's (the "American Psycho") little brother it helped me enjoy it more as a very dark comedy. I wish there was a Christmas movie involving the whole Bateman family.