View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Help! Depersonalization/ Derealization issue

Sticle

Greenlighter
So I've been thinking about Dabbling in psychs but I've been dealing with de-personalization and derealization whichever term as I think they are used interchangeably. Most times I believe this issue was exacerbated by weed edibles once and another time with a dab pen in which I consumed large amounts of THC but the thing is I went years forgetting what this felt like and I recently experienced it again which made me completely quit cannabis. Do you guys think this is bad enough to where I should not ever even dabble with psychedelics? I feel like the whole of the experience would be tarnished by me thinking I will end up in a perpetual cycle of not being able to feel like myself because of consuming these kinds of drugs. I'm not sure what even causes it in the first place I've never been a daily user of cannabis and there were times I would consume alot of it and feel totally normal and other times where I think I let my mind loop into some sort of panic about how my entire body and brain were feeling when high.

It just seems to be that psychedelics are very much of the 'suck-it-and-see' category of things. Generally one would need to take a fairly high dose of a psych to experience depersonalisation or derealisation, however if you are very sensitive or predisposed to this/these state(s) then the risk may well be greater at even low doses. Very much a "d'ya feel lucky punk?" situation. Maybe taking very low doses and building up as well as having an experienced sitter, plus optimal set and setting could be a way to test the water. Good luck if you do :)

I have heard of people with DP/DR issues for which some psychedelics alleviate the stress. While there are some parallels to cannabis, I would not put psychedelics in the same boat. They typically are less anxiogenic than cannabis, but if they do go south, cannabis is typically more manageable. This is very much a roll of the dice, but not doomed for failure. If you choose to partake, start low, be gentle to yourself.

I had issues with derealization from a really strong edible when I was like 14. Psychs never made me feel dissociated. If anything, they did the opposite in my own experience. What has you interested in psychedelics?