• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Depakote

pezcore

Greenlighter
Hey all, new to the forum and just had a quick question...

Depakote acts as a GABA agonist .. does this mean it would produce similar effects as something like pure GABA or another drug like Gabapentin ?
Thanks for any help you can provide.

You have to think about it from a cellular level....GABA is activated by the release of calcium out of the cell or the prevention of more calcium from getting in...Gabapentin is a gaba analog that blocks calcium from getting into the cell, as does depakote, depakote also works on sodium channels.

Thanks for the reply ! I was just curious if Depakote and Gabapentin synergize together? Can one potentiate the other ?
I was recently prescribed Depakote and have been on Gabapentin for a while now. Was just curious about their interactions with each other.
Admittedly I like to take an extra Gabapentin or two for a release now and again .. was kind of curious if Depakote can be used in the same kind of way (though I understand Depakote is more dangerous in higher doses than Gabapentin)...

No, Divalproex (Depakote) is of a completely different class of drug at least in terms of effects. I really can't speak to specific pharmacologies of different substances, but I know that this drug is not one that one would seek out for a recreational experience. Also, I'm a pretty avid user of Gabapentinoids and I've yet to find a substance that potentiates them in a meaninful way.

Wikipedia lists a plethora of possible mechanisms of actions for Depakote but didn't mention direct binding of the GABA receptor as gabapentin does, which means that there could be synergy between the two. There are different types of GABA agonism. Benzos like Xanax and klonopin are known as "allosteric binders" which means they bind in a different site than gabapentin and ethanol do. This is why combining alcohol with benzos is particularly dangerous because of the synergy between the two binding sites.

Gababentin is closer structurally to gaba then depakote (valproate)
Gabapentin 1 (aminomethyl)cyclohexaneacetic acid
Gaba 4 amino butanoic acid
Depakote 2 propylpentanoic acid

All three of these compounds contain carboxylate groups however unlike depakote both gaba and gabepentin share a amino (nh2)