Mental Health Depakote tapering help

Alexxmarie

Greenlighter
I'm a 23 year old female. I was diagnosed with anxiety and bipolar disorder when I was 17. I tried many medications and nothing worked until 3 years ago, when I was prescribed depakote 250mg twice daily, and Valium 5mg once daily as needed. I don't take the Valium as much, due to my knowledge of it being addictive. My health insurance has a habit of just, disappearing...and with taking something like depakote, that's just not safe! I can't afford to get my refill, so I'm coming off. I have enough to last me three weeks, if I cross my fingers hard enough that the government will decide once again that my life matters. But no, I'm not doing it anymore. I'm done. I can't. It's been about a week since I've started tapering off. I don't have a doctor because that requires the money and insurance that I don't have either. My psychiatrist told me how to taper off if I ever wanted to a while back. She said to take one a day for a week instead of two, then take one every other day for the next week, then go cold turkey. Tomorrow would be the day that I don't take any at all, and I don't know if I can handle it. I've never had a seizure, but I've read that withdrawal from this medication can cause one, and I'm scared. I keep getting headaches, feeling really tired but restless, and my anxiety is through the roof. I need advice, from anybody that's been in this situation, or something like it. I know people come off this drug all the time due to liver damage or pregnancy. How do you deal with the withdrawal?

I didn't know you could get seizures from a quick taper down from depakote? (If you haven't previously had a seizure). Anxiety is a common withdrawal effect when coming off this stuff... maybe now would be an ideal time to use your valium.

My old man has bipolar and when he was off his meds, he was liable to do anything when manic. He's in a care home now where they monitor his medication.

I really hope you get the help you need. Best of luck.