Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

Dental work - discussing drug use

ABPI_

Bluelighter
Ask if you use recreational drugs?

Is it because of the drugs that they sometimes use, and want to see if there will be any interactions?

It was a question that came into my mind anyhow as the dentist had injected me with what I guess was benzo/lidocaine (not up to date with these latest numbing agents) but then I almost piped up as my tooth was being cut in half and I could feel everything that was happening, cold air directly into that nerve, maybe I should have clicked "Yes" infarct I sniffed almost 4 grams of shit cocaine last weekend and will most likely need a double dose of your numbing agent.

Anyway, why do they?

Never been asked it by a dentist - is it simply because you look dodgy as fuck?

I think it may be partly due to the adverse effects of certain drugs on the teeth (amphetamines an MDMA for example). Plus there are a lot of drug interactions with the typical local anethetic used (novocaine) which also usually contains a certain amount of andrenalin).

You could Google drug interactions with dental anesthetics and that should give you the complete answers.

Incidentally I've always wondered why in the US dentists give people oxy of hydrocodone for toothache whereas over here you may get a paracetamol but only if your in complete agony.... Don't think I've ever heard of UK dentists giving strong opiates for toothache the way they do over there....

Hope that helps a bit.....

Incidentally I've always wondered why in the US dentists give people oxy of hydrocodone for toothache whereas over here you may get a paracetamol but only if your in complete agony.... Don't think I've ever heard of UK dentists giving strong opiates for toothache the way they do over there....

I think it's just a reflection of how the pharmaceutical industry operates in the USA. It's all about profit, I reckon. I'm flabbergasted at some of the TV advertisements for pharmaceuticals in the USA.

''Ask your doctor about x today. Side effects may include tongue swelling, dependency, fluid retention, hallucinations, death..''

Aye mate.....money talks over there.

Ironic though how big pharma got them all hooked on Oxy then proceeded to shit themselves, change the formula and then stop prescribing it thefore creating a smack epidemic that didnt exist beforehand.

I don't believe in conspiracies but fuck me that's a bit odd to say the least...

I think it may be partly due to the adverse effects of certain drugs on the teeth (amphetamines an MDMA for example). Plus there are a lot of drug interactions with the typical local anethetic used (novocaine) which also usually contains a certain amount of andrenalin).

You could Google drug interactions with dental anesthetics and that should give you the complete answers.

Hope that helps a bit.....
Obama Wants to Spend More Than $1 Billion to Fight Opioid Addiction in the US
By Tess Owen

March 29, 2016 | 7:45 pm
President Barack Obama unveiled a new plan to combat opioid addiction in the United States on Tuesday, emphasizing the importance of making rehab programs available for people of all incomes as a way to stem the recent surge in overdose deaths linked to heroin and prescription painkillers.

Obama's announcement coincided with a speech he delivered at the National Rx Drug Abuse and Heroin Summit in Atlanta. The four-day gathering of politicians, physicians, researchers, counselors and educators has been held annually since 2012, when the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) declared opioid addiction a public health crisis. The president joined two recovering opioid addicts and Baltimore's health commissioner on a panel moderated by Dr. Sanjay Gupta, a medical correspondent and practicing neurosurgeon, for a discussion about addiction and treatment.
https://news.vice.com/article/president-obama-unveils-ambitious-plan-to-tackle-opioid-addiction

Is this meant to read "Why do dentists?" sorry it keeps bugging me.

They ask because if they've got to treat you and give you injections it may interact with certain substances. I was never asked if I did recreational drugs but was asked what medications I'm on n it makes sense for them to enquire. What if you took a certain substance, were having a filling and it stopped the anaesthetic from working, causing you great pain? or the interaction between a substance your taking and anything they gave you during treating you, caused you to have a seizer or become brain damaged? My friend was brain damaged after going to the dentist because she was allergic to something they gave her and she ended up in a wheelchair for the rest of her life.

Evey

The NIH (IIRC...) enacted an education program for dentists treating suspected substance users - they will inquire if the septum is degraded, membranes dry, atypical tongue physiology, pallatial inflammation, membrane irritation etc., mainly because, if stigma didn't exist, the best treatment differs in users.

Filling a cavity from sugar consumption is day-to-day.
Fixing a tooth that has half the blood supply it should have and eroded chunks from gurning is a lil' more effort.

They ask because if they've got to treat you and give you injections it may interact with certain substances. I was never asked if I did recreational drugs but was asked what medications I'm on n it makes sense for them to enquire. What if you took a certain substance, were having a filling and it stopped the anaesthetic from working, causing you great pain? or the interaction between a substance your taking and anything they gave you during treating you, caused you to have a seizer or become brain damaged? My friend was brain damaged after going to the dentist because she was allergic to something they gave her and she ended up in a wheelchair for the rest of her life.

Evey

Yes, unfortunately I forgot to do the old double check, after being under the influence of dentist drugs I was too eager to hit enter. Oh jesus, so your friend went to the dentist and they put her in a wheel chair? Sounds like a Daily Mail article, I have read many of them.

The dentist in question anyway asks everyone on their check in forms on their fancy tablets, maybe next time ill check yes, and see what kind of chaos ensues. I am a man though, so I just sort of gripped the chair like it didnt hurt, whilst she tried to make small talk whilst my mouth was filled with water and bits of my own tooth blocking my throat whilst some poor assistant perilously tried to suck all remaining water out of my mouth with her tube.

I think the early days of MDMA have fucked my teeth, like when you can hear someone grinding their teeth in their MDMA incuded coma sleep its horrible. Though the cross tolerance I imagine does also come into effect, lidocaine etc as mentioned.

Edit.

The NIH (IIRC...) enacted an education program for dentists treating suspected substance users - they will inquire if the septum is degraded, membranes dry, atypical tongue physiology, pallatial inflammation, membrane irritation etc., mainly because, if stigma didn't exist, the best treatment differs in users.

Filling a cavity from sugar consumption is day-to-day.
Fixing a tooth that has half the blood supply it should have and eroded chunks from gurning is a lil' more effort.

Ah, thats kind of what I was thinking also, they want to know if I am a god dam druggie so they can help me the best way, good intentions and all.

For Cocaine in particular perforation of the oral palate is life-destroying, just have a Google. 8(

Though the cross tolerance I imagine does also come into effect, lidocaine etc as mentioned.

There is no cross tolerance seeing as one is a local anaesthetic and the other works on the central nervous system.

The last time I visited the dentist he took one look in my mouth and asked me if I smoked heroin. When your presented with a 33 year old case whose back teeth have almost completely dissolved, your first thought will be 'thats not right' and by asking me about my drug use I just assumed he was confirming the preliminary diagnosis he had just made as my teeth were in a worse state than you would find in the remains of an Egyption Pharaoh, and considering the contents of my mouth were not in any respect congruent with what you would expect to find in someone in their early 30's, I just saw it as a simple way of re-enforcing the the conclusion he had come to in order to explain why my teeth were so badly damaged.

Other that that I would consider it a standard question that would be asked by many health and social care professionals across the multi disciplinary spectrum. 'Do you smoke, do you drink alcohol, do you use drugs' would be among standard questions I would be expected to be asked during many different assessments, especially a dentist where drug use of many kinds could provide an instant explanation for many dental problems and tooth damage, and allows the dentist to provide bespoke advice in order to prevent further problems or treatment.

My honesty did not do me any favours, for starters, the dental nurse stated that she was uncomfortable working with me (in case she got splashed with AIDS during a procedure or whatever, I dont know) so she swapped with a colleague. The dentist then went on the tell me what a disgusting idiotic lifestyle I had led, and that as far as me teeth were concerned they all had to come out, including my front set which with some cosmetic repair are otherwise fine. The attitude was basically 'you made your choice and its cost you your teeth, and there is nothing I can or am prepared to do about it. We will remove 2-4 a month depending on continuing assessment, which should also give your mouth to heal in between each treatment. I thanked him as he looked at me like a piece of monkey shit as I left the room, booked my next appointment, and left after which I never saw him or any other dentist since.

Somehow my teeth ain't to bad, to say I've not looked after them.

I had the same attitude from a GP i went to aged 17 asking for help. He went on to tell me a shit i was and would remain. He may of been right.

Didnt stop me pulling the prick over his desk for being auch a cunt about someone asking for help. My dad pulled me off him; the GP turned to my dad and said "say goodbye to your son, hes gone"

I wmted to kill that fukin cunt... At the time. In hindsight, i can see hes absolute frustration over drug addicts. We're hard fuxkin work man...

He didn't press charges luckily

hahahahaha

Mind you he should have been a bit more professionsl. You don't treat people like that x

Evey

Evey

Seriously.. that bugs you.. have you seen the titles to your own threads? you are not in a position to be pulling people up on their spelling/grammar

*Title edited to improve relevance when using the search engine*

*Title edited to improve relevance when using the search engine*

Thank you <3

The last time I visited the dentist he took one look in my mouth and asked me if I smoked heroin. When your presented with a 33 year old case whose back teeth have almost completely dissolved, your first thought will be 'thats not right' and by asking me about my drug use I just assumed he was confirming the preliminary diagnosis he had just made as my teeth were in a worse state than you would find in the remains of an Egyption Pharaoh, and considering the contents of my mouth were not in any respect congruent with what you would expect to find in someone in their early 30's, I just saw it as a simple way of re-enforcing the the conclusion he had come to in order to explain why my teeth were so badly damaged.

Other that that I would consider it a standard question that would be asked by many health and social care professionals across the multi disciplinary spectrum. 'Do you smoke, do you drink alcohol, do you use drugs' would be among standard questions I would be expected to be asked during many different assessments, especially a dentist where drug use of many kinds could provide an instant explanation for many dental problems and tooth damage, and allows the dentist to provide bespoke advice in order to prevent further problems or treatment.

My honesty did not do me any favours, for starters, the dental nurse stated that she was uncomfortable working with me (in case she got splashed with AIDS during a procedure or whatever, I dont know) so she swapped with a colleague. The dentist then went on the tell me what a disgusting idiotic lifestyle I had led, and that as far as me teeth were concerned they all had to come out, including my front set which with some cosmetic repair are otherwise fine. The attitude was basically 'you made your choice and its cost you your teeth, and there is nothing I can or am prepared to do about it. We will remove 2-4 a month depending on continuing assessment, which should also give your mouth to heal in between each treatment. I thanked him as he looked at me like a piece of monkey shit as I left the room, booked my next appointment, and left after which I never saw him or any other dentist since.

That's disgraceful conduct in this day n age n she, saying she felt uncomfortable. I'n shocked that people are like this.

Evey

When I was in treatment a lad arrived, not long backfeom London hedonism. He was waiting on diagnosis for HIV, whilst in severe alcohol withdrawal

He shared his situation and you could see people edginf away from him like it was air Bourne or contractable by using the same mug...

I was appalled at, by in large highly educated people from privileged back grounds pure ignorance. He was sat crying uncontrollably. Another girl comforted him and I'd gave the fuckwits a brief education.

Probably fucked a moneky some were thinking.