• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Dental Sedation

tommygirl

Bluelighter
I posted on here awhile ago when I was taking morphine for horrible toothache (and for a bit of fun too), now I'm finally going to be getting some teeth pulled. I'm going Monday for the initial consult and then prolly later this week will be the actual extraction. Half of me is anxious as hell but the other half is actually looking forward to a nice trip. I've just about made up my mind to be sedated, when I called the oral surgeon and explained what the general dentist said I needed out the receptionist said I had a choice of being sedated or not, I said I wasn't sure and she said we could talk about it at the consult and get the surgeon's opinion too.

I'm having 3 pulled, the one just behind the canine on each side and the very back right bottom molar. The molar is the one that's been hurting so bad and when the dentist looked at the xray she said it was pretty infected. So that's the main one that I am worrying about, I've heard big molars can have long/twisty roots that make them hard to pull and also that the local numby stuff tends not to work as well on infected teeth. And of course I like getting high and hate dental work, I don't wanna be a baby about it though.

So if anyone has had dental sedation, can you tell me what it's like and if you would recomend it to me?

Yea I can offer a bit of advice from experience. You definitely want to be sedated when having more than one tooth pulled. If not you will feel a lot of pressure (which equals pain) and there will also be a lot of popping, cracking, and bits of theeh flying out your mouth onto your face. Just take the anastesia go to sleep and wake-up with a little pain and a mouthful of gauze, go home take your pain pills fall back to sleep wake-up pull out the gauze carefully drink some Ensure, replace gauze (they will give you) take meds and repeat.

I had two wisdom teeth pulled without sedation and just a local anesthetic and I wish I had been sedated. There was a lot of pulling and gross noises. However, I did get a script for some Norco w/refill which I definitely won't turn down.

I had two wisdom teeth pulled without sedation and just a local anesthetic and I wish I had been sedated. There was a lot of pulling and gross noises.

^ I had this done with smaller teeth before getting braces put on. Like you, I could feel the pressure. Plus having to watch the dentist pull with all his might because they were stubborn little teeth and blood flying all over. Never want to go through that again.

A few years later, I needed four wisdom teeth pulled that were impacted. So an anaesthesiologist was needed and in my case, they used sodium pentothal. Not sure if they use that anymore, I think it's called twilight sleep. When multiple teeth are involved and especially one that's infected, I would recommend this. Hope it goes well for you!

So it turns out the oral surgeon doesn't want to sedate me because of my medical history (I have cerebral palsy and a bunch of allergies). :( He did say I can have nitrous though, which is kind of exciting since I've never had it before and I hear it's a gas (joke). Still freaking out about the whole thing, going Monday the 21st. :sus:

dont only look at the fun in the trip because you will feel better because it would hurt like a bitch without sedation

I have had a few teeth removed. And some had pretty bad infection. Not to scare you but no the local doesn't work if they're infected. I decided to tough it out with just local. It hurt so bad I almost passed out from the pain.

Next time I had nitrous. It was incredible. There was a bad downside. I'll tell you after I tell you the good side.

Absolutely no pain. I loved everything. Everything was beautiful. I remember not really being able to see anything. But I was absolutely flying. I knew I was still at the dentist. But my surroundings disappeared. I couldn't feel my body. It was as if I was just a soul floating. Kept flapping my arms and laughing. Loved the experience but the down side makes me nervous to be giving nitrous again.

The downside was for two days after I felt the worst hangover ever. Cold chills. Sweating. Shaking nauseous. So very weak.

I have always wondered if I got a tad too much.

Anyway hope all goes well for you. I've been there and can definitely sympathize

Sorry but I can't edit on my phone. I've also had all 4 of my wisdom teeth pulled for braces when I was a lot younger. No infections no impaction. Done under local. The pressure and the pulling were very doable. They just popped right out. But as I said the infection IMO is what makes pulling other teeth such a painful unbearable bitch

I took just the nitrous to get 4 of my wisdom teeth removed, 2 had to be cut out of the jaw and stitched up. Probably local anesthetics too but i just remember the nitrous :) The nitrous made everything so easy like 0 anxiety and frankly i didnt care i thought the whole thing was great. I went from being nervous, i like the dentist and i like dental procedures but full on oral surgery was a bit much.

Once i got the nitrous it was just a different experience. Goes from worried to like trying to talk to the guy because i dont give a fuck its going on. I could feel him yanking them out of my mouth or the smell of burning teeth when they were being cut to be removed but it was all so funny to me rather then anxiety inducing like it should have been.

Honestly i dont see why people get put under. I think i got 10 stitches between 2 teeth and 4 removed in an hour or so. The days after were hard, spitting up mouth fulls of clotted blood but i got 3 days worth of 37.5mg oxycodone (5 7.5mg pills day) so it give me an excuse to be nodding on the couch at 21 in front of my parents (opiate naive then oh the good old days.)

Bit of a scheduling snafu here, had to change the appointment to the 25th. And I have 2 teeth we were on the fence about, possibly salvageable with root canals but the dentist wasn't real optimistic, that we've decided to go ahead and pull too. So now I am getting 5 out in total. So, anyone know what the odds are of getting scripted pain meds after getting 5 teeth pulled? Guessing I won't be a happy camper at Easter dinner 2 days post-op, but with the right chemical assistance anything is possible, right?

Local anesthesia is more than enough. Xylocaine etc. One can cut off a part of a finger, or cut teeth roots with a circular saw (Personal experience, both.) and you wouldn't feel anything. The injection it self is bit unpleasant, but nothing to worry about.

Well Toothpocalypse is tomorrow at high noon, wish me luck! Will report back tomorrow night or Saturday.

Local anesthesia is more than enough. Xylocaine etc. One can cut off a part of a finger, or cut teeth roots with a circular saw (Personal experience, both.) and you wouldn't feel anything. The injection it self is bit unpleasant, but nothing to worry about.

Local anesthetic is notorious for not being affective when infection is present

I just got back and actually I didn't even end up getting the gas. The oral surgeon pretty much just started right in and Ithought of saying something but idk he was just one of those doctors who just sorta rushes you. But it wasn't as bad as I expected, I did feel the needles with the numby stuff (there were about 10) and the were a bit worse than regular shots in the arm but not much. And the actual extractions felt weird and sounded awful but did not actually hurt, except that one infected molar hurt a bit but not as much as the toothache I've been having in it. So I didn't get high but I was really proud of myself, I struted out of there with my mouth full of gauze like "I'm so badass, FIVE teeth pulled with nothin but novocaine baby!" Would've prolly been insufferable if I was high on gas too. Got a script for Norco, someone is going to fill it for me now but they take Lortab and the dr said that's the same so he gave me one of his Lortabs to make sure I'm ok until he gets my script filled. I took that about 15 mins ago, mouth mostly numb still but underside of my tongue down by that molar hurts a bit when I open my mouth.