• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Delsym dosage for opiod tolerance prevention??

ColoradoBoy90

Bluelighter
(I tried to search but the search engine isn't the best, and I cannot figure out how Delsym works). Does it release half at once and the other half later?? Or is it truly slowly release over 12 hours??

So depending on the answer above, For Delsym 12 hour, how much should I take, and how often?. What confuses me is ***if** it is released slowly, then it probably won't ever achieve a high enough dosage level for any NMDA action, right?

As Doesn't it take at least 30mg Instant release DXM to affect NMDA?? If that's true, then 60mg of Delsym might not do anything at all? Unless it release 30mg at once and 30mg again in 6 hours, if that's how Delsym works then it would be enough and it would work well. BUT... I don't know if that's how it works, or If it's slow release only, and if it's slow release only then it wouldn't ever achieve a high enough dose. Anyone know if that's how it works??? If Delsym is slow release and doesn't release half at once then other later, it'd be impossible to achieve a high enough anti tolerance dosage then wouldn't it? That's critical to know.

So I'm confused...How does it work, relese wise for Delsym? Should I take instant release DXM, or is Delsym okay, as it release HALF at once and half 6 hours later? I hope so.. BTW, I only take 10mg to 15mg Perc or Vicodin at once, 5X per day, plus 50mg of slow release oxy.... So what would be a good dosage of DXM/Delsym for me? Currently I take 60mg Delsym slow release in morning and then 60mg again in late afternoon... Is that enough?

Last edited:
Depends on the opioid you are using, but most of the time DXM won't do anything for your tolerance. There's been a thread a while ago where I posted a study about it, I'll try and find it for you.

Nothing prevents opioid tolerance. You can use things to potentiate opiates so you don't have to use as much but the only thing that works is not using often enough to build a tolerance.

Nothing prevents opioid tolerance. You can use things to potentiate opiates so you don't have to use as much but the only thing that works is not using often enough to build a tolerance.

I remember reading an in vitro study that concluded some turmeric alkaloids prevented excitotoxicity from opioid agonists.

Nothing prevents opioid tolerance.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2628209/
Chronic opioid exposure enhances NMDA receptor function by increasing intracellular Ca2+, NO and cGMP levels, which contribute to the development of opioid tolerance. The use of NMDA receptor antagonists, or inhibitors of NOS production from l-arginine to enhance antinociception and delay the onset of tolerance has proven effective . Of these approaches, the use of NMDA receptor antagonists has shown preclinical and clinical potential in minimizing opioid tolerance.

Lies.

There was a med being patented that stopped and reversed opiod tolerance. It was testers on animals AND humans and worked!! It was in final stages to release then suddenly it disappeared....

I believe it had an ultra ultra low dose of NALTERXONE (sp?) + Vicodin or Oxycodone, or whatever opiate/opiod with it. BUT It disappeared suddenly, as the FDA ghosted them. At first I thought it was crazy, but I've seen so much evidence proving the FDA and big pharma is supressing the cure to tolerance. Why? They WANT you addicted. They WANT you taking more, therefore buying more pills. Times that by 100 million++ people and now it's a multi-billion dollar business......
So they surpress it all. It's screwed up to know that we could all reverse all tolerance but Big Pharma won't allow it.

There have been multiple things that have proven to reverse tolerance, every single one the FDA and big pharma companies totally buries, and normally it can only be found in 3rd world countries (and you now Have to question if it's real or not)

Back to DXM.... No one knows How Delsym works?? If it releases half at once and half later?? Or can someone at least answer what the proper dosage of DXM (in slow release form aka Delsym) is per day??

Special K .will reduce opioid tolerance. If used in conjunction with the opioid.

I am going to end up writing a thread on this. I have an appointment at the end of August, for an 8 hour, IV Ketamine, low( no idea what the dose is) infusion. One doctor offered the treatment, my psych doctor thought it was an awesome idea, for the effect on opiate receptors in the brain and she also told me that it should have an effect on depression as well. It is an 8 hour treatment, that includes having a nurse at my bedside the entire time. I was told that there is a loading dose of Ketamine and that they will ask you basic, stupid questions like: what is your name, where are you, what year is it, etc, to determine if and when you become detached.

I must say, I was pleasantly suprised that my psychologist and pain doctor quickly told me how great an idea it was and how safe Ketamine is.

Now, if I could only get one of them to give me a take home script for it.

How do you go about getting such treatment? What kind of Doctor? I wouldn't even know where to look...

Also, will that single 8 hour session help reduce opiate tolerance??

I always thought for "K" it required 1-time high mega doses to "reset" everything. Never heard of low dosages being used before as therapeutic.

You would be much better off using an instant-release formula to potentate opiates/opioids. The dosage I use for such ventures is typically 75 mg dosed 30 min to an hour before opiate/opioid consumption, which is a good amount without overshadowing the opiate effects, which is easy to do with adding DXM to the mix.

If you insist on using Delsym, based on my decade-plus experience ab/using DXM, I would recommend no more than 1-2 ounces dosed 2-3 hrs before the opiate/opioid. Extended-release is hard to gauge dosage-wise; very easy to over or undershoot. Get some gels or syrup.

75mg instant release gels? That's like half the bottle, damn!

I normally took 15mg to 30mg about 30 mins to 1 hour before my dose(s). I have EXTREMELY fast metabolism, so I figured that's enough time for DXM to work....

I heard on this forum a while back 30mg is min dosage to hit/affect your "NMDA", and therefore was the min dosage required for tolerance reduction. Is that not right?

I know 75mg would be WAY too much for me, especially immediate release..... I remember when a single 15mg dose was enough to make me feel weird and spacey.

^ very good point; I forget not everyone has the familiarity and affinity with DXM that I do. 15-30 mg would be enough to potentate in a non-tolerant individual.

In the spirit of harm reduction: start low w/ using DXM in conjunction with opiates/opioids. Very low, 15-30 mg low, as emphasized by the poster above.

(oh btw: 75 mg is typically five gels, which is not "half the bottle," usually 1/4; point still stands tho, much thx)

Thanks for the reply. Which poster above are you referring to? Someone mentioned special K but that's about it. Unless I'm missing it? I don't think anyone here has said how much dosage wise to take, for TOLERANCE REDUCTION (Im not using Dxm to potentiate, rather for its tolerance reduction properties only).

So 15-30mg instant release is a good enough dosage for tolerance reduction? About 1-2 hours before each dose? That makes it hard for morning doses, as I

If I take Percs/Vicodin 4X to 5X daily, would I take Dxm 4x daily also before every dose? Or just dose Dxm in morning and Dxm at night?

I was responding to the post directly above mine, which was yours, as it goes.

I see the difference in what you're asking, and it's a tricky issue to answer with any sort of universal qualification. Personally, a low-to-mid-range DXM trip (which, for me, lay anywhere between the 250-600 mg range) is enough to massively reduce my opiate/opioid tolerance through the next couple doses, but not much more. It really is amazing the difference it makes, but not many people find enough profundity in the DXM feeling to allow themselves such a dose; however, without going into the science behind it (hard to do whilst typing on a phone), a higher dose like that will allow for a significant tolerance reduction, provided you wait several hours or even a day for the main and residual effects to subside. DXM metabolizes into DXO, which stays in the system for quite some time; for quite a few people, the afterglow from a DXM trip feels much better than the main effects, and this is the proper time to dose your opioids. Dose can be heavily reduced during this time, maybe as much by half; otherwise, the sedating effects and respiratory depression may prove too intense.

Otherwise, you can't really expect to reduce your tolerance using DXM for any length of time. Dosing prior to each opioid dose as you suggested above will most likely work, but listen to your body chemistry; using too much of one or the other has the potential to cause nasty side-effects, including nausea/puke-inducing headaches, urinary problems, and overall feelings of intense sickness not dissimilar to withdrawal. Not trying to scare you, but it's good to know. Start low, be safe etc