• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Degradation of Drugs ?

90sdance

Bluelighter
Do drugs degrade after being synthesized ? provided they are properly stored ?

It depends on the compound, but generally most have a rather long shelf life.

Yeah drugs definitely degrade. Natural stuff like buds, mushrooms etc really only have a 12 month lifespan unless you take some real extra measures. I stored mushrooms 'properly' in rice and in the dark but they were quite weak after 6 months or so. There are better ways than that. I've heard some people claim they stored mushrooms for years with only minimal degradation.

Synthetic stuff seems to last a few years assuming it isn't exposed to heat, moisture, oxygen, and UV.

I'd plan to use any drugs I buy within 12 months just personally.

Depends on the drug, but most have a much longer shelf life than people think if proper storage methods are used. I've kept pot for years with little to no degradation but I broke it into small jars so that there was no air introduced until finally opened. Cool, dark place.

People think that LSD has an extremely short shelf life. I've found that to not be true... mostly. I've stored acid more than anything else since you want a known quantity in a hit to play with (so getting a "supply" is best). Acid keeps very well for years. However, it seems like it suddenly gets a noticeable potency drop rather suddenly after 4-5 years, at which point it stabilizes again.

Proper storage = minimize degradation which all things on this planet are subject to or the fadeless everlasting substance has yet to be found out?

I ate some quetiapine which had expired and been stored in light. The next day I got some pain around my liver. I wonder if it had degraded to something toxic?

Do drugs degrade after being synthesized ? provided they are properly stored ?
"synthesized" how?
solution...?
:unsure:

i already see ya have proper storage covered
i think there could be many factors involved with end of life of ones substance.
my experience tells me that old drugs are effective i do not know what you have but dont throw it out cause it aint workin give it a break if you choose.