• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Definition of Intelligence

Intellegence exists on difference plains of conciousness.
One is actual knowledge.
Another is ability to learn.
Another is awareness of the world itself.
The awareness can open your mind to expanding into further knowledge... such as spirituality and science.
There is no real way to define intellegence. Usually the intellegent know they are intellegent. And if you can be humble with that knowledge, then you are a great person indeed.

Some mispel every single word known to man but can ace a calculus test w/ no calculator.
You shouldn't need a calculator for a calculus test anyways -- calculus isn't computation based.
I like the dictionary definition myself, except for that christian science bit.
What interests me even more than intelligence is genius, which seems to me always to come in an extreme and specialized form. I.e., the musical genius, or the autistic who can rapidly compute complicated equations, or the brilliant writer -- but so often, these same people cannot do anything else particularily well, and only excell in the applicable area.
I am more generally intellligent than one of my exes, but I also believe he has a streak of genius that I simply don't posess. Then again, he is crippled by bipolar -- funny how that disorder seems to afflict so many geniuses.

Not a quantitative measurement but something you either have or don't. Basicaly you either think or don't, usually the quality that seperates leaders from followers. Not necessarily something you're born with.
Q: Is a computer intelligent? Could one be?

Basicaly you either think or don't, usually the quality that seperates leaders from followers.
Completely false. Intelligence and leadership may be an effective combination, but to equate intelligence with leadership ablilities is going out on a massive limb.
One may neither find interest nor have desire in leading others yet be incredibly intelligent. I would go so far as to say that intelligence is not even that strongly linked to ones success in life... You can be a scientific genius, but still be struggling at a subsistance level surviving on paltry research grants.
One of the most highly esteemed political analyists from my country who advises on a wide range of public policy still works as a University lecturer and tutor for his livlehood. The difference between who is a leader and who is not lies in what motivates us as induviduals rather than what smarts we have. Just look at George Dublya.

I started this thread because I wasn't sure of my definition of intelligence...and honestly I am still undecided. I like the Merriam-Webster definition (except for part 2b) but a couple things seem to be missing:
  • Intelligent people have an innate curiosity, a need to aggressively explore the world around them and reach some sort of an understanding with it.
  • Intelligent people have a kind of intensity where they are drawn to formidable situations and, once challenged, they move at an accelerated pace.
I don't know how to fit these two points into the Merriam-Webster definition. Regardless, I definitely enjoyed reading all the different answers and perspectives in this thread.

the speed and depth at which one assimilates, disects and ultimately comprehends an introduced concept.

I agree with Spinkle.
In all our waking conciousness we are to remember that our mind is our worst enemy, as well as our most usefull instrument-But the main point is that we must keep it under controll every moment.
The mind is a usefull servant but a bad master-In our soul we are free. (Eckankar)
Peace and Love To All

amount of information available for analysis in the present coupled with the ability to percieve multiple overlapping patterns in said information

1. I hate spiderman's distinction between intelligent and smart. They are synonymous. He calls "smart" being how much knowledge you have. No, that is called "educated" or "learned." Smart means intelligent.
2. Intelligence is (1) the ability to learn; and (2) the ability to apply the learning. Some one else said it before, and I'm agreeing. I subsume memory into the ability to learn, which can include processes AND facts, though it may be possible to separate memory out as something different from intelligence. Hell, we make up the word and definition so we can define it however we wish. But I think either way this is pretty much the normally used and useful def. of intelligence.
3. I think it is abyssmal that people are so afraid of being perceived as not "intelligent" that they try to bend and twist and broaden the definition of intelligent so that they are covered.
An person who just can't grasp calculus or learn another language or write a quality essay... This person is not intelligent. But if they are good with people they would say that they are intelligent, they have relationship intelligence...I think there is a better phrase for it that I just cannot think of now. Is it so hard for some one to say "I'm not intelligent but I have people skills" rather than saying, "I'm intelligent, your tests just don't cover the way that I'm intelligent, which is in dealing with real people not book smarts."
Continuing in this manner, we will no doubt soon need to qualify that intelligence can be book smarts, people skills, or even physical attractiveness ("I have 'look smarts'").
In this manner, intelligence gets watered down to apply to any positive attribute. How weak. Instead of saying, "We are all smart in our own way, some of us have book smarts, some of us have artistic intelligence, some of us have communicative intelligence, some of us are smart about people, some of us have look smarts" can't we say, "We are all special in our own way, some of us are smart, some of us are artistic, some of us are articulate, some of us are personable, some of us are attractive."
Nope, everyone wants to be smart. That is dumb.
And at first I thought Ratamattata... was on to something with intelligence and humor going together. I guess I still do, but I would limit it in that I think there may be forms of humor that "dumb" people tell and which amuses other "dumb" people. I mean, some fart jokes for example. Anyway, I'm not sure EVERY successful comedian was necessarily smart, but I think the ones that were probably had the most staying power and made their own careers. Steve Martin is probably very intelligent, as is Michael Myers. I'm not so sure, though, about CarrotTop.
~psychoblast~

yeah, so here goes:

intelligence cannot be defined in the same way of "love" and "completion."
but maybe for a general idea, (and as to not waste everyones thyme) i will try.
on the finished student: he or she now knows everything the teacher found important and anything else he wished to explain away his own ideas on. the student now knows everything previlant to the subject, and then continues on past that to a point of first time ideas.
that may be the level of highest intelligence we reach in a controled learning environment. ( i could have just said classroom, i will stop trying too hard now.)
which brings me to the overall point (which might be in here somewhere) *intelligence can be defined in the floowing: communicating with others in an even, easy to understand manner (ill do that after this sentence, dont worry...)
Only the ignorant are out there claiming to be smarter than the next man.
and now to pour some religion on top of these pancakes of backwards ideas: lets just say that I am god of my world...now shouldnt i be the most intelligent being alive? no, i dont want a god, parading around claiming to be the smartest man. i need a humble god. (and whats more humble than trying to explain my thereoy of intelligence to a crowd?)

i will leave how i came in, knowing my place.

~dirt never comes first~

IMO:

Intelligence is all about what we do with what we know; seeing connections others don't that can lead to a radically different and useful, beneficial perspective.

Last edited: