View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Defeating Abilify's 5ht2a Antagonist Effects so as to Experience LSD

boognishlives

Greenlighter
Edit: I'm posting this in the neuroscience forum as well, please delete if this is in the wrong place!

LSD binds to 5ht2a receptors with an affinity (Ki) of 2.9. Abilify (ariprazole) is a 5ht2a antagonist with a binding affinity of 3.4. As I understand this, the values have an inverse relationship; in other words, LSD binds a bit more strongly than Abilify. What this all means as a practical matter is that a patient taking abilify must take a massive amount of LSD to properly experience its effects.

Short of discontinuing the Abilify altogether, what can one do to lessen/defeat the 5ht2a antagonist effects of Abilify, so one could trip more easiyl? Any ideas?

Thanks so much in advance!

Last edited:
Abilify (aripiprazole) is an antipsychotic medication. It works by changing the actions of chemicals in the brain.

Abilify is used to treat the symptoms of psychotic conditions such as schizophrenia and bipolar disorder (manic depression). It is also used together with other medications to treat major depressive disorder in adults.
http://www.drugs.com/abilify.html

Since you're on antipsychotic medication I'm thinking LSD is probably not a great idea at this time. You may be taking it for depression rather than psychosis, I don't know. I guess there's just not much point taking LSD while on Abilify. I doubt there's any way to defeat it.

Last edited:
If you must trip on lsd the only thing I can think that will help is to discontinue use of the abilify. Mind you if you are on an anti psychotic perhaps a drug like lsd and discontinuing use of your abilify might not be a great idea. Just from personal experience, I have schitzoaffective disorder and take invega and have done psychedelics many many times. I've never had an issue, but I have seen people with mental disorders far less then mine and not fair well.

Seriously, don't even bother.

You are correct that Abilify will block the effects of LSD... antipsychotics are effective trip killers and are basically the opposite of psychedelics.
Even if you do manage to trip, it probably wouldn't be a pleasant experience. Antipsychotics aren't nice drugs.

If you have a mental condition that necessitates taking antipsychotic meds then you really ought not to be playing around with LSD.

Wow this is really relevant to me. What's your Abilify dosage? I was on 10 mg's up until last Thursday (the 28th). I'm planning on dropping 200 ug tomorrow (the 5th). That's one week or about 2 half lives. I'll let you know if it works. Why don't you just discontinue it? Do you majorly need it?

Abruptly discontinuing aripiprazole (Abilify) produced an acute psychotic reaction for me.

Be careful.