• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Dealing with a stammer . Help?

Maniaz

Greenlighter
Hey any bluelighters here stammer or used to stammer but dont deal with one anymore? how do fellow bluelighters deal with their stutter in everyday life?

For me i feel like my stutter has destroyed a lot of my confidence with people especially women. i feel like it is the reason im socially awkward because my stammer used to be worse when i was younger so a lot of the time then i was embarrassed to say things because i would end up stammering and embarrassing my self . I dont know why but its slowly gotten better over the years and some people im with i dont stutter much around them. I stutter heaps around my parents ( not so much my little sister who i would say i have a good bond with ) because i cant really tell my parents stuff and have a conversation with them which which makes me kinda sad when i see other people and the relationship they have with there parents . Its a curse and i dont know what i did in the first place to deserve it .

I used to have a very severe stutter, to the point where I had full facial tics when trying to get sounds out, and would often have a tough time even stringing more than three phonemes together. I was incredibly fortunate that my mum worked at the local university hospital, and found out about a new treatment that was being trialled locally. It was still more than what they could afford, but they put me through a few years of somewhat subsidized speech therapy, followed by a refresher when I hit my teens. While I occasionally slip up, I functionally do not stutter, and have the added bonus of being able to project my voice like a champ!

If you're curious about the treatment that I received, or had any other questions regarding stuttering, please don't hesitate to send me a PM. It's something that is very near and dear to my heart, but I don't want to plaster the contact info for this institute all over a public messageboard.

Did any one else just read that like Will Smith in Boom shake the room?

My two cousin's, (who happen to live in Auckland) have both stuttered over the course of their lives. One has mostly grown out of it, but he is very reserved when he talks, almost as if he contemplates every sentence before he speaks. The other is a little worse particularly when he is drinking and gets excited.

It is really hard not to interupt and finish their sentences because I know it really pissing them off.

If you happen to be one of my cousins, I'll see you in a month.

You also owe me a drink.

Hello, Could you please tell me about that therapy and where did you find it? You could send me an e-mail : [email protected] Add me on facebook or skype whatever you feel like! Much appreciated.

I recommend a speech therapist. Thats what they do! Hope this helps.

I used to stutter. Sometimes rarely I do still. I speak slowly a lot, and will pause and think instead of stuttering, usually. I think.

My brother still stutters quite a bit at age 40. "D-d-d-did you do...?". Nobody gives him a hard time about it. He is successful in life. I can't say he is that confident, though... But I wouldn't say stuttering is the sole reason. In writing he can go overboard and is sometimes too proper- almost robotic, and out of touch with what people want to hear, such as in emails... But that could just be that he is my older brother and sometimes annoys me, because that's what he did when we were growing up.

We suffer similarly. I do the same thing with writing, in my own way. Its nothing like how I talk usually. Written communications get me into trouble.

I think it may have something to do with the speech centers not being able to keep up with thoughts. Certain anxiety may have something to do with it.

I try to remain level as much as possible in speech in life, and unreactive.

Last edited: