• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

DEA Rejects Attempt To Loosen Federal Restrictions On Marijuana

slimvictor

Bluelight Crew
The Obama administration has denied a bid by two Democratic governors to reconsider how it treats marijuana under federal drug control laws, keeping the drug for now, at least, in the most restrictive category for U.S. law enforcement purposes.

Drug Enforcement Administration chief Chuck Rosenberg says the decision is rooted in science. Rosenberg gave "enormous weight" to conclusions by the Food and Drug Administration that marijuana has "no currently accepted medical use in treatment in the United States," and by some measures, it remains highly vulnerable to abuse as the most commonly used illicit drug across the nation.

"This decision isn't based on danger. This decision is based on whether marijuana, as determined by the FDA, is a safe and effective medicine," he said, "and it's not."

Marijuana is considered a Schedule I drug under the Controlled Substances Act, alongside heroin and LSD, while other, highly addictive substances including oxycodone and methamphetamine are regulated differently under Schedule II of the law. But marijuana's designation has nothing to do with danger, Rosenberg said.

In a letter to the petitioners, Rhode Island Gov. Gina Raimondo, Washington Gov. Jay Inslee and New Mexico nurse practitioner Bryan Krumm, Rosenberg said doctors are responsible for treating patients, but the FDA makes decisions about drug safety: "Simply put, evaluating the safety and effectiveness of drugs is a highly specialized endeavor."

Tom Angell, chairman of Marijuana Majority, said in a statement that the decision was disappointing.

"President Obama always said he would let science — and not ideology — dictate policy, but in this case his administration is upholding a failed drug war approach instead of looking at real, existing evidence that marijuana has medical value," he wrote.

cont at
http://www.npr.org/2016/08/10/48950...t-to-loosen-federal-restrictions-on-marijuana

He;s hated enough by half of the country just for being black....if he legalized pot it would just be too much for these people.

Hillary will never legalize pot....so as far as the executive branch goes....its not going to happen for another 4-8 years. quite sad

We are going to have to start an initiative as citizens. More than half the people of the country want pot to be legal...we just have to make sure that congress knows that we will vote them out so fast their heads will spin if they don't pass the legislation.

You know they could just reconsider how the TREAT dronabinol and nabilone and move them the fuck out of schedule III/II respectively. That, in my opinion, is just as ridiculous.

NO WAY do they have the same abuse potential and dependence liability as narcotics and amphetamines...

Then at least we could have some therapeutic phyto/pseudo-phytocannabinoids to use medically that doctors might be willing to prescribe.

My Govenor just made medical legal(technically) starting September 8th. He's republican. I heard he did that because the law the grass roots people would have passed would have been a little too liberal. It's all bullshit, but for some of us, it's a start.

What we should be doing(if not already) is making lists of these people who keep blocking it for stupid reasons, so when they want our vote, we can tell them to pound salt.

My husband has cancer and a medical prescription for cannabis from his oncologist--and believe me, it helps for everything from appetite to nausea to sleep problems and it provides balance to a steroid he has to be on. He practically had a coronary when he read about the DEA's decision.

The thing that is so frustrating to us is that we the consumers want the science. Do we want to pay $17000 a year for CBD oil if it actually has no merit? I want to know and I want to know from the scientific method, not some grower's anecdotal evidence about someone's cousin that cured their cancer with it. We have joined co-ops and veterans groups etc trying to make this affordable. The DEA and the FDA have essentially set the science back for at least a decade. By declaring it schedule one, they make it next to impossible for universities or companies to do the research. Right now we know that it is promising, but that's all we really know. Some of the drugs my husband has been subjected to are also "experimental" but lo and behold the FDA seems to have no problem with those drugs. Why are there not hundreds of trials right now for different cancers, different stages of cancer, etc using various levels of CBD/THC etc? You've got everyone from completely knowledgeable visionary scientists to complete charlatans out to make a buck but the public (and even scientists) is being denied any way to change this situation. I am just so disgusted and disheartened by this. It's all political, it's all about $$ and it's all about outdated and harmful perceptions.

Every state in the damn country is making it legal and the feds are screwing it up.

This is going to remain a states issue. The feds don't want to be bothered and politics are going to delay legalization as much as they can.

I don't think it's because they don't want to be bothered. They want it to be illegal: look at how they are throwing every CNS-active drug that is coming on the market into the CSA.

I wish the government would just fuck off with their meddling!

I don't think it'll be any Executive Branch guy that comes along and gets cannabis unscheduled/knocked down to II or lower. More often than not, a major conflict of interest will exist where in some way he will lose something if cannabis is no longer law-enforced, in most cases.

It'll either have to come out of Congress (that'll take something like 20 years and by then ALL the states will have medical MJ anyways, and a 1/4 of the states will have decriminilized all drugs, lol) OR it'll be through the Supreme Court, which seems to me to the be the most likely possibility.

Still might be some hope left if you can believe anything she say's. http://time.com/4449322/hillary-clinton-marijuana-schedule-dea/

November, according to a statement issued by the campaign.

While the Drug Enforcement Administration denied a petition early Thursday to remove marijuana from its Schedule I list under the Controlled Substances Act, leaving the drug lumped in with heroin, LSD and other elicit substances, the Clinton campaign thinks that rescheduling the drug serves a higher purpose.

“Marijuana is already being used for medical purposes in states across the country, and it has the potential for even further medical use,” Maya Harris, a senior policy advisor to Clinton’s campaign, said in a statement, reported by The Denver Post. “As Hillary Clinton has said throughout this campaign, we should make it easier to study marijuana so that we can better understand its potential benefits, as well as its side effects.

The DEA’s decision to keep pot as a Schedule I drug affirmed the federal government’s belief that there is insufficient evidence to show that any “specific benefits” the drug might offer would outweigh any of the “known risks.”

Clinton, however, seems to disagree and the campaign contended that if elected, she would reclassify the drug to a Schedule II substance, which would mean acceptance that marijuana has a medical use for treatment.

“As president, Hillary will build on the important steps announced today by rescheduling marijuana from a Schedule I to a Schedule II substance. She will also ensure Colorado, and other states that have enacted marijuana laws, can continue to serve as laboratories of democracy,” Harris continued.

We are going to have to start an initiative as citizens. More than half the people of the country want pot to be legal...we just have to make sure that congress knows that we will vote them out so fast their heads will spin if they don't pass the legislation.

we will vote for them, because there is nobody else to vote for besides the people that big money puts into those positions.

look at the increased backgound check thing for guns....90% of americans favor it and congress still won't pass it because those 90% of the people don't pay their bribes....the Nra does...and both parties take bribes from pharma so its even worse than the gun situation which only cons take bribes from. We need to start calling them bribes, they are not campaign contributions, they are not donations, its not lobbying.

there is no way somebody against a special interest would get anywhere close to being on a ballot

Last edited:
So glad for this decision. If it would have been rescheduled schedule two it would have killed the infant industry and eventually put it in the hands of big pharma.

Buy leaving this as scedule one, but having the the DEA and "justice" systems hands tied with both a congressional law that prohibits ANY federal funding to prosecute any medical marijuana cases ever and a general order to not enforce the current BS laws on the books we actually win for the time being.

Im very sorry for the many souls out there still living and being hunted, robed, stigmatized, enslaved, locked up, without greatly needed medication in some cases holding life changing results.. but for the time being this is the best way forward.

If your in a state that still has not seen the light its beyond time to add fuel to the fire under their asses to make the move. Get involved and lend a hand in changing your slice of the world.

^People like to control each other. :) It's all about power and the dopamine it releases!

Wow, this links the decision to control drugs and keep them illegal to the brain-internal drug release that making the decision has on the people deciding.
I like it!
%)
So glad for this decision. If it would have been rescheduled schedule two it would have killed the infant industry and eventually put it in the hands of big pharma.
I hadn't considered this, and I hope you are right!

Who would then dedicate a team of chemists to making actual semi-synthetic drugs out of it, that is the side of coin we fail to recognize here. Smoking weed is very archaic and although i enjoy it it would be nice to see what real chemists can do with THC as far as actual medicines go. Dont get me wrong i consider smoking and consuming THC to be medicinal but there may be something we cant even fathom down the road that will lead to non-cancer causing NSAIDs and blood pressure medicine, who knows?

I am all for people being able to have small businesses selling marijuana but they will never advance the medical industry past the extracts we have now, at least in my opinion. There could be a treasure chest full of new perhaps even safer alternatives for people who need them.

^ they don't need weed to be legal to make semi synthetic versions of weed since they are different compounds from thc. Where do you think all of the synthetic noids came from?...many of them are based off of thc structure.

Pharma would no have any rights to weed if it was placed in schedule II. That can't own the IP rights to marijuana....thats the whole reason they are not allowing it in favor of newly invented drugs they can own rights to.

^based off of the structure isnt the same as based off of the original compound. Yes they make cannabiniod receptor active compounds to map the sites and explore alternative medicines however, i would like to see people work on the parent compound. It doesnt have to be a pharmaceutical firm could be a university.

All im trying to say is when you outlaw a compound for research you can not be aware of what your missing out on.

^based off of the structure isnt the same as based off of the original compound. Yes they make cannabiniod receptor active compounds to map the sites and explore alternative medicines however, i would like to see people work on the parent compound. It doesnt have to be a pharmaceutical firm could be a university.

All im trying to say is when you outlaw a compound for research you can not be aware of what your missing out on.

i mis understood you....i get now that you were saying to use illegal thc as a starting point and then modify the compound (where as making the compound without starting from thc would be too much work or impossible) ....the definition of semi synthetic...sorry

researching a schedule I drug shouldn't be so difficult...its not like letting scientists research them will increase the amount on the street. What it will do is perhaps result in new drugs that are actually usefull therapeutically....this is what the dea is trying to prevent....anything good ever coming out of an illegal drug...just on principle