• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

DEA raids Raleigh lab that tests for synthetic marijuana

LogicSoDeveloped

Bluelighter
Raleigh, N.C. — Agents with the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration recently raided a north Raleigh laboratory that tests products for traces of synthetic marijuana and other illegal ingredients, according to federal court records.

WRAL News has investigated for two years products sold as incense or potpourri that contain marijuana-like ingredients, allowing people to smoke them to get high.

North Carolina lawmakers banned the sale of synthetic marijuana last year, but a WRAL News investigation found in November that the products had returned to area store shelves with claims that the illegal ingredients were gone.

In the past, several brands used Research Triangle Park Labs, off Brier Creek Parkway, to test their products. The lab issued reports saying none of the illegal ingredients was found.

Last week, DEA agents removed hundreds of files from the lab after the facility agreed to test a sample of synthetic pot that contained a controlled substance, according to the application for a search warrant.

Under federal law, only people registered with the DEA can request such tests, and the DEA wants to know if the lab routinely tested samples for unregistered parties, according to the search warrant application.

No charges have been filed in the case.

DEA officials and the lab's owner, Alston Sykes, couldn't be reached for comment.

source: http://www.wral.com/news/local/wral_investigates/story/10927457/

Last week, DEA agents removed hundreds of files from the lab after the facility agreed to test a sample of synthetic pot that contained a controlled substance, according to the application for a search warrant.

Under federal law, only people registered with the DEA can request such tests, and the DEA wants to know if the lab routinely tested samples for unregistered parties, according to the search warrant application.

Excuse me, but that doesn't seem right. Any person should be allowed to conduct any test on any substance, regardless of its legality.

By that logic, are marquis reagent tests on pills illegal? They confirm whether something contains a controlled substance or not.

Excuse me, but that doesn't seem right. Any person should be allowed to conduct any test on any substance, regardless of its legality.

By that logic, are marquis reagent tests on pills illegal? They confirm whether something contains a controlled substance or not.

Yeah wtf, So you need to be registered with the DEA to test anything using Gas chromatography–mass spectrometry too? Man this country is so fucked its not even funny

From the way I read it they were accepting substances they knew were illegal. That's the issue.

From the way I read it they were accepting substances they knew were illegal. That's the issue.

They were agreeing to conduct Schedule I tests for clients not registered with the DEA.

This is very random.

Is the DEA's mission statement taken from 1984, or what?

This was obviously just the DEA taking the records from a lab that routinely tested synthetic cannabis blends to see what new chemicals people are ordering off the internet from China to make these blends so they can make those illegal too... Georgia recently just outlawed ALL smokeable blends. Every head shop has no more "incense" or "bath salts" for sale.