• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Day 5 Opiate withdrawal depression, when does this get better?

EPL1

Bluelighter
Prescribed opiates for chronic pain. I only take them for flare ups. This last time was for 4 months in a row. I had a Neck fusion and DDD and herniated discs. But I am sick and fucking tired of taking them. So Sat I stopped. CT.

Physically I am doing well on day 5.

But I am feeling a little depressed. When do these post acute withdrawal depression symptoms go away usually?

I took my meds as prescribed and I did not have depression prior. In case this matters.

Any experiences would be really a great help to me right now.

Ashley.

Idk that it does.
Jk it does, but takes a while I can’t remember. Been years since I quit last.

Beenbetter thanks,

This part sucks big time. Did you get help with any SSRI'S when you quit? If so did it help?

Ash.

I just started Wellbutrin. Idk if it is doing any good tho. Sposed to have to wait two weeks to find out. Like we have all that kind of time huh???
What a fucking joke.
I’m happier and more productive on drugs. Buuuttt, can’t live life that way. Soo, I guess I’ll suffer until I’m normal again. If that will be ever and I live to see the day.

I am fourth month without opiates now and it has been the last weeks when my life has been stabilized and I have been taking Cymbalta for depression.
I also had depression while taking opiates but it slowly started to help after quitting them but it was a slow process with some anxiety flaring up right when I stopped.

I sincerely hope it helps in some way Beenbetter. Behindtheshadow says it really helped him so you never know! You will feel more normal again, just like me, you have to give it some time. Sucks ass though hey?!! Vent anytime, here for you.

Take care,
Ash.

Way to go MrRoot that's quite an accomplishment! Happy to hear things have normalized for you. Has the Cymbalta helped? I was just rx'd it to see if it will help my chronic pain.

Take care,
Ash.

I am sincerely happy for you BehindtheShadow! It's nice when something actually works!

Take care,
Ash.

Day 6.

I slept last night, vivid dreams but I don't care, I slept. Still depressed. Ugggh.

I wanted to know what life was like off my pain management pills. Well, I'm in a lot of pain, with only Tylenol that aren't helping me. If this keeps up I will have to go refill my rx. But I'm stubborn so I will keep sticking it out. My family think I'm nuts going off LTOT just because I hate being a slave to the schedule of taking pills.

Maybe tomorrow will be better pain wise.

Take care everyone,
Ash.

Prescribed opiates for chronic pain. I only take them for flare ups. This last time was for 4 months in a row. I had a Neck fusion and DDD and herniated discs. But I am sick and fucking tired of taking them. So Sat I stopped. CT.

Physically I am doing well on day 5.

But I am feeling a little depressed. When do these post acute withdrawal depression symptoms go away usually?

I took my meds as prescribed and I did not have depression prior. In case this matters.

Any experiences would be really a great help to me right now.

Ashley.

Ashley, I started to get depressed too. I learned that its common when trying to quit opiates.

At the same time this happend our national health advisors increased the recomadation for the amount of D vitamins one should be taking. They argue that due to our climate most people will suffer from D vitamins insuffience so they dobbeld the recomanded amount up to 80 mg a day.

When I started to take 80 a day during my tapering I noticed after a while that my depression got better. I dont know if it was a coincidense. But you may want to give it a try.
D vitamin insuffience can cause depression to worsen.

Honestly, I experienced a sharp upturn somewhere around 1-2 weeks clean, then more gradual over then next few months. I was at 8-9 months before my first relapse and still was progressing.

Some of it is just a matter of time in that it is a gradual progression, but you also need to put in effort towards getting better. Things like eating well, exercise, and a daily schedule. You don't have to go crazy and throw out all the bread, only eat organic, and what not- but try to eat balanced meals at regular intervals if possible. I know eating can be pretty tough the first week. Haven't been able to eat much myself the past 2 weeks, but your body uses amino acids to build neurotransmitters. Among many other reasons, eating even just a little bit can go a long way.

The post acute withdrawals(PAWs) can last up to a few years, so be prepared to deal with them, but even after going through full blown psychosis(polydrug wd, mostly benzo/opiate) I felt fairly back to my old self after about 2 months or so. Felt sort of brain dead for another 3-4 months after that, but gradually was getting better until I fell off again. Challenging myself really helped. I'm excited and a little nervous to be back in school. When I quit going and quit forcing myself to maintain a daily schedule is when I got into trouble.

Yes, it does. It is going to take a while, but little by little, day by day, if you take care of yourself you will slowly shake off PAWS. It sucks, and it is difficult, but you can get through it. Give it some more time. I recall PAWS lasting for a couple of months, but did slowly improve over time. You will be shocked at how much better you feel once it slowly subsides. Sleeplessness, anxiety, and depression really are the killer in opiate WDs, but as I said...be patient. It will be worth it.

...one day at a time...I know it sounds cheesy but it?s good advice.
Recently came off of years of prescribed oxy. Never took more then prescribed. Still had some depression etc four months later.
Even more recently... like 2 weeks ago My back started hurting past the point I could handle and now I?m back on hydrocodone. Not happy about it but it is what it is.
The depression was getting really bad 3 weeks ago. Wife was getting upset with me... and I with her. I need to figure out a solution to that next time around.... it was leading down a dark path that I?m not willing to take.
Let us know if you find a solution

Thanks Moscatel,

I know my D is low but I have had too much else going on to really care enough to do anything about it, sounds sad but true, I will start supplementing again.

Hey Chon.

I'm glad thing started to get better for you at some point, that's all I can hope for. I think being back in school will be really great for you.

I must congratulate you Chon, to even have the want to get better is commendable, and then to go through all that WD entails is pretty fucking amazing. You're going to be just fine, you have a great attitude.

Here for you anytime,
Hugs,
Ash.

Vett,

I actually replied to you on the sober living forum a few days ago.

Your story is very similar to mine, man can I relate. Here's the post in case you missed it.

Hi Vett,

Just like you I went CT off my LTOT pain management medication. I took the medication as prescribed but I am so sick of taking it honestly, and wanted to see how bad the pain would be without the meds.

So....Today is day 6 for me. I have a cervical fusion with cage and hardware as well as lumbar herniated discs with Sciatica. I am only on Tylenol and it's not cutting it. But I am going to have to go renew my rx refill if I can't get the pain under control.

Best to you,
Ashley.

Don't beat yourself up over having to take your medication, we were prescribed it for a reason.

I myself had to take my medication once yesterday, oh well, couldn't be helped. Back on plain Tylenol today, but yes I have to figure out something better. Take care Vett, here for you and I really do understand.

Ash.

Last edited:
I also have herniated discs pinching my nerves and Cymbalta along with stretching and exercising as well as lowering my weight has helped a lot when it comes to pain levels. All of these started to happen in same time so I don't know which actually helped most but if I don't do the stretching my physiotherapist recommended I start to have pain within few months.

MrRoot,

I was given a sample pack of Cymbalta to see if it helps with pain. I haven't touched it yet, but maybe I will give it a try. How long did it take for it to kick in with you?

Hugs,
Ash.

I can't say exact timeframe as I started exercising, stretching and losing weight at the same time I started Cymbalta. However within few weeks after starting my pain levels were low enough so I could start exercising more than just a little bit and exercise alone couldn't do it that fast.

In my opinion it is good for depression as it actually is the first thing that has worked for it.