Dawn of the American rave: Florida scene edition..... Lets get ready to break!

somnilicious

Bluelighter
New documentary preview....

Article from insomniacs magazine https://www.insomniac.com/magazine/candy-ravers-and-psychonauts-the-florida-rave-scene/

Awesome 2 part story about the begininng

The rise and fall of fever crew. The awesome 2nd part in the series.

Series of Vice articles on the early Florida Rave scene...
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/...ts-get-sleazy-in-the-weirdo-armpit-of-america

I was a part of this scene in the late 90's. I distinctly remember the day I went out in search of some LSD for a friend's birthday and instead was presented with an offer for a drug that I had never even heard of that had a name, which was marketed by the most clever, mouth watering moniker.... "Ecstacy"... Today every kid has heard of MDMA but back in 1997 I must not have been paying attention to the media onslaught of sensationalist scare exposes the media had been blasting over the last several years becuase I was oblivious. Two pills were dropped in my hand that looked more like candy then a drug. Pink and yellow with the familiar cartoon characters of Tweetie and the Pink Panther.... Those two oboqitous looking pills were my ticket to the bizzare underground world of after hours clubs, all night parties and rave events, which had taken over the sunshine state of Florida when the sun went down. The rave and my introduction to Florida breaks was on.

Part 2 and the music to come.

Last edited:
Most fans of EDM are very familiar with craftwerk...

Who gave Orlando a sample that helped spawn a huge hit within the Florida community that is my #1 euphoric recall song of all time. Any time I hear this song I'm immediately transported back to ecstacy land. I even get some of the physical manifestations of "rolling", such as jaw grinding and fluttering eyes.

It's hypnotic rolling bass and sultry vocals gave it that perfect "rolling" sensuality and it had the added bonus of sending the girls into a sexual frenzy. I even fucked a girl on the speaker to this song in ,Cyberzone, the local after hours club. I see you Julie all cleaned up and accounting for our goverment😘😝. I'm proud of you girl.

1999... As featured on Orlando Breaks vol.2

I love reading the YouTube comments, which is basically a Florida club roll call
but I'm getting ahead of myself. I have to explain a few things about the sound that heavenly influenced and formed the backbone of Florida breaks.

Last edited:
By the time I entered my first rave I had already been attending what was essentially rave apprenticeship every Friday and Saturday night that I could as a kid up at the local skating rink chasing girls around the rink, breakdancing in the corner and bobbing around under the techno light display to the electro, miami bass and freestyle songs that would heavily influence the scene.

Freestyle, which is huge in the latin community that makes up a large percentage of Florida's population, is that early radio pop electronic music from the late 80's and early 90's that circulates old pop format airwaves. Many of the artists were from the post disco, cocaine fueled Miami music scene such as.....

The name freestyle comes from another Miami group

So by the time I entered my first rave in 1997 I was already very familiar with the sound that made up the more pop oriented side of Florida breaks and came in with the wave of new freestyle such as Rockell "In A Dream" and Orlando's very own...

Love the moaning. There certainly was a party going on and it was fun to be a high. As if all the songs dropping the name ecstacy that came out 95-96 weren't enough to let you know what was collectively going on around the country.

Last edited:
New documentary preview....

Article from insomniacs magazine https://www.insomniac.com/magazine/candy-ravers-and-psychonauts-the-florida-rave-scene/

Awesome 2 part story about the begininng

The rise and fall of fever crew. The awesome 2nd part in the series.

Series of Vice articles on the early Florida Rave scene...
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/...ts-get-sleazy-in-the-weirdo-armpit-of-america

I was a part of this scene in the late 90's. I distinctly remember the day I went out in search of some LSD for a friend's birthday and instead was presented with an offer for a drug that I had never even heard of that had a name, which was marketed by the most clever, mouth watering moniker.... "Ecstacy"... Today every kid has heard of MDMA but back in 1997 I must not have been paying attention to the media onslaught of sensationalist scare exposes the media had been blasting over the last several years becuase I was oblivious. Two pills were dropped in my hand that looked more like candy then a drug. Pink and yellow with the familiar cartoon characters of Tweetie and the Pink Panther.... Those two oboqitous looking pills were my ticket to the bizzare underground world of after hours clubs, all night parties and rave events, which had taken over the sunshine state of Florida when the sun went down. The rave and my introduction to Florida breaks was on.

Part 2 and the music to come.

looks interesting! will check it out tmw!
EDIT: oh it's a preview :(

Good stuff. The soundtracks bring back good memories. I was in Gainesville in the late 90's-00's but didn't get into the scene enough until Simon's was on the downswing. Rolled for the first time there, amazing. Was there for Keoki, and his refusal to play anything until someone brought him drugs, disappointing.

I look forward to the movie release. Tho it appears to target a relatively small audience :\

Good stuff. The soundtracks bring back good memories. I was in Gainesville in the late 90's-00's but didn't get into the scene enough until Simon's was on the downswing. Rolled for the first time there, amazing. Was there for Keoki, and his refusal to play anything until someone brought him drugs, disappointing.

I look forward to the movie release. Tho it appears to target a relatively small audience :\

It looks like production is stalled. There's a site where you can donate money. Yeah... It looks like it mostly targets Miami but they were looking for people from other scenes to fill in the development of the entire state. Florida was definitely poppin back then. That's the exact same time I was involved in the scene. I also spent many nights at Simon's because I had a lot of UF friends. Unfortunately even though I had a 3.8 and a high SAT score I had to go to community college in Orlando because I got expelled for a nick bag of pot one year....lol Help me post songs my man. Florida was a big part of Bluelight.

Last edited: