• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

David Nutt announces research on 'synthetic alcohol'

They will be addictive and the "antidote" will be shorter acting than the actual Benzo-esque substance meaning that even if it's taken it'll wear off and you'll be under the influence again.
I saw that on a Horizon program where a friend of Mr. Nutt tried it out (think it was Pagoclone) and the BZD antagonist wore off quite quickly and he ended up being fucked up again.

Still, if it ever comes into use then I'd be well up for going to pubs again =D

To be sure, there are anxioselective benzo-like compounds that have a higher affinity at GABA-A alpha X (1 through 6) than diazepam. For instance, Imidazenil (IIRC). Some of these have half-lives comparable or in excess of diazepam. So it is possible to have an antidote with a therapeutic half-life and a favorable side-effect profile.

To be sure, there are anxioselective benzo-like compounds that have a higher affinity at GABA-A alpha X (1 through 6) than diazepam. For instance, Imidazenil (IIRC). Some of these have half-lives comparable or in excess of diazepam. So it is possible to have an antidote with a therapeutic half-life and a favorable side-effect profile.

Oooh, Imidazenil sounds extremely interesting. I really hope it's produced for medicinal use in the future because, by the sounds of things, it'll be very effective and much more safe than conventional Anxiolytics :)

I think (when used in moderation) GHB and MDMA are far superior alternatives to alcohol. Fuck a benzo, that sounds extremely boring to me.

Alcohol just kind of sucks. :D I know its a very drug-snobbish way to think, but I've always considered alcohol to be an inferior drug in just about every respect (occasionally I will consume alcohol, and the side-effects will put me off of it again for months..); and I can't help but feel funny about the fact that so many people enjoy it so much. Most people must have terrible taste in psychoactives! =D

Most people must have terrible taste in psychoactives! =D

No shit. I know so many people who absolutely love alcohol to the point that they don't get to try other stuff because on nights when they can try new things they'd rather get smashed.

And when they do try something new, it's usually when they are smashed and then they say they don't like it because of the side effects or hangover.

Well duh, if you take a stimulant or empathogen when you're drinking of course it's not going to feel as good and it's going to make you feel horrible the next day; it's not the new drug you're trying; it's the old one you're consuming without even thinking about it. :X

Alcohol's prevalence just gets under my skin.

It drowns out the possibility of people trying new drugs.

Yes, we need a synthetic drug that makes people fight, repeat themselves endlessly, eat kebabs, fight and act like fools.

So much more socially acceptable than all those other awful drugs they want to ban.

Alcohol's prevalence just gets under my skin.

same here. I think it's fucked up that synthetic alcohol is considered socially acceptable and perfectly normal but other RC's are 'designer drugs' that are awful and puts holes in your brain etc. 8)

I understand the appeal of getting trashed on alcohol but it's just such a boring predictable buzz. Then again maybe a synthetic alcohol would open up some people's minds to trying different drugs....but probably not.

I think (when used in moderation) GHB and MDMA are far superior alternatives to alcohol. Fuck a benzo, that sounds extremely boring to me.

Alcohol just kind of sucks. :D I know its a very drug-snobbish way to think, but I've always considered alcohol to be an inferior drug in just about every respect (occasionally I will consume alcohol, and the side-effects will put me off of it again for months..); and I can't help but feel funny about the fact that so many people enjoy it so much. Most people must have terrible taste in psychoactives! =D

I agree with everything in this post.