• Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Daughter of former New York Post owner arrested in attempted heroin sale

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
Daughter of former New York Post owner arrested in attempted heroin sale

Kathryn Kalikow busted outside home in the Bronx with her boyfriend in Craigslist buy-and-bust. The 27-year-old's father, Peter Kalikow, owned the Post from 1988 to 1994.

By Barry Paddock / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Published: Monday, March 25, 2013, 2:54 PM

The daughter of the multimillionaire former owner of the New York Post was busted a world away from her Fifth Ave. penthouse peddling heroin with her boyfriend in a poor section of the Bronx, cops said.

Kathryn Kalikow, 27, the Vassar College-educated daughter of real estate mogul, former publishing magnate and one-time MTA chairman Peter Kalikow, was arrested in a buy-and-bust Sunday night trying to sell the addictive opiate to feed her boyfriend Brian Whalen’s drug habit, officials said.

The couple had advertised its illegal product brazenly on Craigslist, prosecutors said.

“Discreet & professional ... high quality diesel pain relief,” the ad promised, according to court papers, before listing a slew of drug nicknames: “Stamps, H train, dope, bundlers, tickets, dog food.”

An undercover NYPD detective responded to the ad, and told the couple to meet him next to the Thomas C. Giordano Middle School on Hoffman St. in Belmont.

“It’ll be $400 and an extra $40 to deliver it,” the drug dealers’ response text message said, according to authorities.

Whalen, 28, and Kalikow, whose 71-year-old father was once worth at least $500 million, pulled up to the meeting place in a blue Volkswagen, exited the car and went into a White Castle restaurant at the end of the block, according to prosecutors and witnesses.

Whalen returned alone to the meeting place, and apparently texted the detective, “I’m in front of the building.”

The undercover cop, wearing a hoodie, approached and Whalen apparently knew he was busted. Later, he fessed up, prosecutors said.

“It was my idea to go on Craigslist and post the ad,” he said, according to court papers. “I need treatment. I am a heroin addict, and to afford the drugs I agreed to sell some of the drug on consignment from the person I buy from.”

Another detective confronted Kathryn Kalikow.

“Yes, I have drugs,” she told him, according to prosecutors. “He’s my boyfriend — I was holding on to it for him.”

She reached into her purse and handed over three plastic bags, each containing 10 packets of heroin, prosecutors charge.

The pair were arraigned Monday afternoon on felony charges of drug possession with intent to sell and released without bail. They both pleaded not guilty.

“We’re still investigating the situation,” Kathryn Kalikow’s lawyer, Stacey Richman, told the News. “She’s doing well.”

Whalen’s Facebook page includes a photo of six varieties of marijuana labeled with street names like Silver Haze and White Widow.

“It’s an unfortunate situation (when) any young folks are involved in drugs,” said Whalen’s lawyer, Marvin Ray Raskin. “We are addressing the addiction issue as we speak.”

Whalen’s family is trying to rush him into rehab, sources said.

Kathryn Kalikow doesn’t work and lives with her parents in the posh penthouse. She cares for her ailing mother, Mary, sources close to the family said.

“Mary and I are very concerned, and all we are concentrating on now is helping our daughter,” Peter Kalikow said in a brief statement Monday.

The family lives at one of the most exclusive co-op apartment buildings in Manhattan, on Fifth Ave. overlooking Central Park and across from the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Whalen has been living with the family.

A two-bedroom apartment in the building is on the market for $4.9 million.

The average annual income for families in the Kalikows’ ritzy ZIP code is $335,048 — nearly 10 times higher than in Belmont, according to census data.

Peter Kalikow, head of real estate firm H.J. Kalikow & Company, owned and published the Post from 1988 to 1994. He also is a former Port Authority commissioner.

With Christina Boyle, Tanyanika Samuels and Kerry Burke

[email protected][/quote][url]http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/daughter-ex-post-owner-nabbed-heroin-rap-article-1.1298613?print[/url]

Okay, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised that people actually do use craigslist to sell drugs (surprises me, well it almost surprises me, not because I didn't realize it happened, but because it just strikes me as such a fucking stupid thing to do). But really, it seems like if someone has enough capacity to get a dope habit where they need to sell drugs in order to fund it, they'd know at least a little bit about how DLEO work. I mean, how dumb are these people? Not saying I didn't know people out there do stupid things, but still... I guess I hold heroin users to a level I shouldn't, just because those I'm drawn to are not your average heroin user... Sad, but I guess these two are more representative of my population :(

So. Mother. Fucking. Dumb.

A guy was just busted in NY for trying to sell dope on some other site, backpage or blackpage, whatever it's called. If you can't sell dope in NY then you have no business being a dealer, both literally and figuratively.

Isn't this sourcing because it mentions the website they were using to buy/sell?

I thought SR was the only exception according to a moderator? Is this a second one?

Isn't this sourcing because it mentions the website they were using to buy/sell?

I thought SR was the only exception according to a moderator? Is this a second one?

I would say that Craigslist is fine as it is the equivalent of the local white page phonebook-there is no drug section of craigslist. Some people just choose to misuse the website. That would be like banning wal-mart from discussion because a crazy person tried to cook meth in one, some of the materials having been stolen from the same wal-mart.