View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Datura..low dose experiments

shpongle1987

Bluelighter
I acquired allt of datura stramonium seeds and was wondering what the best way to injest them how many and what should I be expecting. Thanks for your feed back

Judging by the lack of responses, I have to assume not many people would consider taking this deliriant.

Might I ask what your intention is for wanting to try this?

All the info you need can be found in the Vaults in case no answers you btw:

https://erowid.org/plants/datura/datura.shtml

If I can't persuade you to low dose with a psychedelic plant rather than a deliriant, well do let us know how the experiments go!

Last edited:
Rule of thumb:
No one knows the % of alkaloids present in your seeds

So start with a few seeds and then work your way up

That seems to be the best route

Have you read datura trip reports on Erowid? There are a ton of them, that will give you an idea of what you're in for. I would recommend against it. Apparently it feels quite bad physically, plus if you dose too high you will have no ability to function or take care of yourself at all.

From what i have read, to get any trippy sort of affects you would have to do a lethal dose, and even when the seeds are cooked or whatever if you get the proccess wrong they will kill you.

Theres a reason many people stray away from datura for a reason, just because it grows everywhere doesnt mean its a good idea.

This is a cool trip report on Bluelight: http://bluelight.org/vb/threads/636...is-Various)-quot-This-Sunny-Day-quot-quot-Thi

Most people here are going to advise against it. It is incredibly unpredictable, and is physically dangerous both in terms of its physiological effects and behavioural. I really don't think there is any reason to do this, but if you must, I would start very very low, just to get a taste for it. I have experienced deleriants and found the physical effects basically intolerable, incredibly uncomfortable, an the mental effects were confusing, frightening, nonsenical and nowhere enjoyable. Work your way very very very slowly up if you must. Read all the reports you can. I would even try to grind the seeds up to homogenise them as I have heard that they can vary seed by seed (anecodotal perhaps), and if you want a slightly more predicable experience that may help to standardise a dose, so toseapk. Make sure you are with someone or in a place that you cannot damage, somewhere familiar. In the trip report above, the poster wrote DATURA on his hand, whatever good that may do.

I really like the datura and brugmanisa species of plant and have accidentally killed the burgmanisa I had growing. They have a real aura about them. I find them forbidding, something in them warning me away, so of course they are/wore attractive :) I think many budding pschonauts contemplate them for a while. I get the same draw towards morning glories, which grow abundantly where I live. But, for both, I prefer to look and not touch, and especially the deleriant demigod-plants of chaos.

Be very cautious and do not rush into this!

Last edited:
I always liked the erowid report 'a tale of insanity, nudity and arrest'.

If you do actually intend this for some kind of research/exploration (I got this from the title but not the post), then I guess it would be best to grind your seeds together and cause some kind of average consistency, then titrate up using scales.

Your post sort of gives the impression that you aren't really prepared for this though, otherwise you'd probably already know the answers through extensive online research.

People on here do all kinds of powerful chemicals. When the forum wide consensuses is to avoid something, then I'd say it should serve as a massive red flag.

If you want to experience delirium in a fun and friendly package, then seek out MDA. At least the next day you're not still out of it/dead and/or suffering some kind of existential crisis about your reality.

Last edited:
I'd even recommend dipenhydramine or other antihistamine deleriants over datura, at least with those you can certain of dosage though they are still dangerous drugs.

From what i have read, to get any trippy sort of affects you would have to do a lethal dose, and even when the seeds are cooked or whatever if you get the proccess wrong they will kill you.

Theres a reason many people stray away from datura for a reason, just because it grows everywhere doesnt mean its a good idea.

This isn't really true, you don't need to ingest a lethal dose for effects, otherwise there wouldn't be any trip reports. But, it is very dangerous, and you could die. Compounding the danger is that the strength of the plant varies greatly based on many factors. The effects aren't anything like psychedelics, lots of crazy things happen but during oit you think it's normal because you're completely delirious. I have never heard anyone describe it as fun. I have read some positive reports with shaminic-style usage, with lots of preparation. 99% of people who take datura end up regretting it I would say.

I'd even recommend dipenhydramine or other antihistamine deleriants over datura, at least with those you can certain of dosage though they are still dangerous drugs.

Datura does have a slightly appealing magical/plant spirit sort of quality to it (from reports anyway) that it seems diphen and the like are missing, though I would certainly say diphenhydramine is safer.

Either way, a common aspect of all deliriants is that people report that they feel really bad physically and are not any fun.

I'll just toss in my 2 cents. I found it to be a great learning experience, on par with iboga. I also had 2 guides, worked my way up with scales and had a near perfect set/setting at that time in my life. I also was a lot healthier back then.

Respect the plant and you'll learn... something... but you won't enjoy it.

Smoking the flowers provided an effect... but I never got farther than like taking a single benadryl in effect...

The best way to take Datura is not to. I have too much experience with it and none of it was good.
I won't advise on dosage because that would imply that I condone its use and I definitely don't. Sorry, but you're on your own.

It was, bar none the single most disorienting drug ever. I'm still not sure just what went down....besides me.

and this:

....The effects aren't anything like psychedelics, lots of crazy things happen but during oit you think it's normal because you're completely delirious. I have never heard anyone describe it as fun. I have read some positive reports with shaminic-style usage, with lots of preparation. 99% of people who take datura end up regretting it I would say.

Datura does have a slightly appealing magical/plant spirit sort of quality to it (from reports anyway) that it seems diphen and the like are missing, though I would certainly say diphenhydramine is safer.

Either way, a common aspect of all deliriants is that people report that they feel really bad physically and are not any fun.

Last edited:
Datura makes you feel feverish and sick while also being extremely dehydrated even in the lower dose range. With so many other entheogens and amazing new lysergimides why would you want to use datura? From a HR standpoint smoking the plant matter and flowers is a much safer way to get a feeling for the effects.

I thought the leaves/flowers may be a little safer to use then the seeds. Some people create a smoke mix for spiritual ceremonies or a day long meditation and vision quest. Mixing mullen,datura and maybe a small amount of tobacco or even cannabis into a smoke mix.

Best thing to with datura (only thing!) is grow it.

I see all this hate for deliriants but it sounds like very few people actually tried it before condeming it. I was a huge fan of Belladonna (this one's my favorite) and High dose + Sigma DXM and Benydryl when I was younger... I guess I just have a thing for confusion. I now use dissociatives for that part because there is euphoria as well.

Deleriants have a place in my heart... just not a great one.

My point is pretty much: Everything is dangerous, the more time and energy you put into learning about things then less scary they become. That isn't an endorsement of Datura but it's not condemnation either.

I'll never forget my 1 1/2 day adventure with extreme cotton mouth during the trip. 2-days after, my side effects were, Extremely Blurry Vision..

I ate a well rounded hand full of seeds from the Angel’s Trumpet or Thorn Apple, in 1973.. Great experience on the other hand, because of its nature, that would be having interactions with your hallucinations ;-) The trip could have been quite different.. Could have been the timeline i was living in.. why I had a decent time..

What i remember is fragmented, although it felt real, while trying to figure-out reality from fantasy..

Datura will give you "True Hallucinations" with lots of delirium and EXTREME Cotton Mouth... And, You NEED to be watch aka
Get a Trip Sitter!!! If you dear to temp the devil's trumpet

Would i do it again NO!\

Last edited:
Has anyone here ever experimented with sub-hallucinogenic doses of datura? Can it possibly have therapeutic applications?

From what my parents tell me, belladonna was used as a cold medicine when they were children, and they found it very effective for symptom relief.

I have some across B&O (belladonna and opium) suppositories before...don't know if they still make them or not

Has anyone here ever experimented with sub-hallucinogenic doses of datura? Can it possibly have therapeutic applications?

From what my parents tell me, belladonna was used as a cold medicine when they were children, and they found it very effective for symptom relief.

It certainly can. It can dilate blood vessels and was/is used as pupil dilator. It can also reduce stomach cramping. Its sedating at low doses. I think it can assist with nausea.

Its very impairing in terms of memory and learning though.

Swilow, I honestly find all the deliriant containing plants to be creepy with their aura. Not sure I'd even want one in my garden.

My interest in the plants though stems from an erowid report (yup lol) I read where the author gives detailed brewing instructions for an original 'Pilsner', using I think belladona? Or maybe Nightshade? as the base for the brew. The result is a strange time-dilating beer, so he said, that if you have more than four or five of, will induce terrible nightmares and waking delirium like trying to save your child from an imaginary disease.

Someday, I'd like to try brewing some of that beer.