• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Dark Night of the Soul - then what?

iridescentblack

Bluelighter
Imagine you have gone through a period of depression that lasted 4+ years. Then imagine that one day you completely accepted that depression, loved it for what it was, and all of a sudden - just like that - that period of depression was over... What would you do?

Or to put it another way: I have finally accepted The Dark Night of the Soul for what it is, and embraced myself fully (accepted myself 100% )... What's do I do now? What's next? - I mean, I know that integration is the next step in this spiritual awakening process, but what are some tips you folks can give me? What kind of process work do I have to look forward to?

Staying true to your own path, your own nature will probably lead you to the most enlightenment. Inner peace.

But I don't know, I think my tao is pretty screwed.

Last edited:
Imagine you have gone through a period of depression that lasted 4+ years. Then imagine that one day you completely accepted that depression, loved it for what it was, and all of a sudden - just like that - that period of depression was over... What would you do?

Or to put it another way: I have finally accepted The Dark Night of the Soul for what it is, and embraced myself fully (accepted myself 100% )... What's do I do now? What's next? - I mean, I know that integration is the next step in this spiritual awakening process, but what are some tips you folks can give me? What kind of process work do I have to look forward to?

I'd hit the road and travel. I'd sell my house and just live on the road taking a good look at my land while I still can. I'd go back to doing rehab work with abused dogs too. That is most satisfying to me with the only down side is I ended up with four dogs of my own. Not that I don't love them to death but it's a lot of work to keep them happy in my condition now. I walk them several miles each day and one of the issues with this fucking neuropathy is foot pain. It' really is a labor of love now. Oh and I'd get some ice cream and maybe get laid.

I have had that dark night more than once so be prepared as you grow older and deepen your understanding of reality to maybe have to go there again at some point. It's what it is.

i dont think depression necessarily = dark night of the soul. it is a stage people go through after some advanced stages of spiritual progression. usually related to having seen through the ego and losing motivation to do in relative life i think. or maybe a kind of anxiety of losing the sense of self-identity and not having anything that you can hold on to and call me.

i think a daily meditation practice is a great tool for integration and balancing.

Staying true to your own path, your own nature will probably lead you to the most enlightenment. Inner peace.
Hmm... I'm reading The Shaman's Body by Arnold Mindell. In the chapter I just read, he says that you should abandon your path if it is not the path of heart...
i think a daily meditation practice is a great tool for integration and balancing.
I have had that dark night more than once so be prepared as you grow older and deepen your understanding of reality to maybe have to go there again at some point. It's what it is.
Thank you

Is the path of heart not your own?

Last edited:
Not true. The Buddha's journey was quite long and he asked many for years. In the end he figured it himself out but had he not gone on that path first set by others there is no telling that he would have found anything.

Oh well.

I don't know if I really believe in enlightenment...

I think it's still too early in this journey to really try and stick to a specific path, is how I feel. I've found a handful of things that make me happy, but actually putting those things together, coming up with something comprehensible, and then knowing how to replicate it is the hard part.

Can anyone help me with something else?: Am I right in assuming that after a Dark Night of the Soul, awakening again (to essentially recomplete the cycle) is somehow different?

It seems to me now that I'm slowly prying my third eye open again... awakening is not like it was before. I can't really describe it, but it's like learning to use my second attention all over again.

When your self awareness arises and u can see all of what's wrong with u and the world the depression sets in..after u accept you and the world fully for what it is the depression lifts.u realize there's no right and wrong it's all relative..the only thing u should try to keep permanent in this impermeable world is your moral code..the motivation is gone for simple pleasures other ppl enjoy because your sense of self or ego is gone so u get no pleasure in being better than ppl or winning the never ending material rat race

what I have found that feels like the path is turning darkness into light or ignorance into knowledge.and helping people reach their optimal spiritual self.ppl tend to go in a circles,spinning there wheels because they think the path to enlightenment is linear or set up like a hierarchy..

enlightenment isn't about adding anything it's stripping away the illusion that our civilization makes u buy into at a ealy age..whipe out the learning from the bs school system and confused parents.only U know the true path for yourself, u can feel or sense it deep down.the path that u should follow can change depending what is needed from u to help the universe learn from experiencing itself..I dont think any of this makes sense but oh well

I'd take a road trip.