• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

Dark Chocolate, Bananas & Serotonin: Does What We Eat Determine Who We Are?

jess046

Bluelighter
As drug users we all want to change our chemical make-up somehow. We use MDMA to release bulk loads of serotonin. We're changing who we are and how we feel with that pill, baggie or cap of MDMA. But can we change who we are by altering our diet?

I know some people are probably sick of people asking if dark chocolate consumption will replenish serotonin because it obviously is not that simple as 'have some extra tryptophan sources and then voila, more serotonin'. But I am very interested into how diet impacts on mood and mental health, in particular how diet can aid a recovery from MDMA use or help to lower tolerance after prolonged use. I find I still roll pretty well after using MDMA way too much and for far too long and I've always wondered if my diet had anything to do with it, as I have guilty thing for dark chocolate and other healthy food sources. I'm posting this here because I don't think it will get much of a response in the health forum, but maybe it is too much for the MDMA forums and could be put in Advanced Drug Discussion, I don’t know. I’m not a nutritionist so a lot of this is guess-work. Basically I want to see if it’s possible to recover sooner if we increase the rate of serotonin production through diet – but there are a lot of factors at play here.

According to researchers from Middle Tennessee State University, folic acid deficiency can lead to decreased levels of serotonin in the brain. Folic acid, also known as vitamin B9, helps to prevent neural tube defects during fetal development and can also protect the body against heart disease and some types of cancers. Fruits and vegetables that contain folic acid can help to boost serotonin levels and improve mood. Examples of fruits and vegetables that contain folic acid include oranges, spinach, broccoli, corn, beets, parsnips and brussels sprouts.

We need to start by addressing any diet deficiencies before we can move on to serotonin and dopamine synthesis, namely the vitamin B group. For Zinc you could use a zinc supplement, but for vitamin b it is best to do this with food as too much vitamin b supplementation can be dangerous over a long period of time.

One other thing to remember is that you can lose a lot of the nutrients in food through cooking and bad storage. Zinc is pretty stable, but vitamin b6 is lost through heat. It's best to steam veggies as water and fat can sometimes diminish nutrient density too. So use half a cup of water and no oil. Don't ever fry or boil vegetables. Stirfrying is good too because it cooks so quickly that you don't lose nutrients. Soups are fine because you drink the broth, which contains all the nutrients that have leaked out of the veggies and meat.

Where it gets complicated is that MDMA use, particularly long-term use, can result in the enzymes that convert tryptophan to 5htp and then serotonin being inhibited. But can we help activate this enzyme through diet? This post is getting pretty long so I won't explain it all here, just read this link for more info on how dopamine in particular is a problem...http://www.jneurosci.org/content/18/18/7111.full.pdf

L-Tryptophan needs the enzyme Tryptophan Hydroxylase and the presence of the cofactors Folate, Iron, Calcium and Vitamin B3 , in order to convert to 5-htp.

Vitamin B9 (Folate), Iron, Calcium and Vitamin B3 - we can work with that. Iron and calcium is in spinach and kale leaves. Drink milk/eat cheese. Eat three serves of red meat a week, no more - grass fed lean steaks, lamb, you get the idea.

The activity of tryptophan hydroxylase (i.e. the rate at which it converts L-tryptophan into the serotonin precursor L-5-hydroxytryptophan) can be increased when it undergoes phosphorylation. Protein Kinase A, for example, can phosphorylate tryptophan hydroxylase, thus increasing its activity.

Phosphorylation turns many protein enzymes on and off, thereby altering their function and activity.

This is where we start to get somewhere: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/0006295278904197

Your body has the capacity to produce some phospholipids naturally. You can also get phospholipids from dietary sources, however. The administration of phospholipids can influence functions associated with membrane proteins and correct them to some extent if needed.

Studies have shown to essentially phospholipids make your food more functional - by having more of these phospholipds in our system we will be able to keep the active vitamins of our foods available in our body for longer. It also means the activity of tryptophan hydroxylase should be increased. Another article I read suggested calcium and calmodulin will activate it too and bring about phosphorylation.

Once we have 5-htp (5-Hydroxytryptophan), then we need the enzyme Dopa Decarboxylase to convert 5-hydroxtryptophan, in the presence of the cofactors B6 Magnesium,Zinc and Vitamin C, to 5-ht(5-Hydroxytryptamine) aka Serotonin.

Okay so we've got Zinc and B6 on our list of essential nutrients – now we need to add in magnesium and vitamin C rich foods too.

The enzyme uses pyridoxal phosphate, the active form of vitamin B6, as a cofactor.

So that sorts that out - B6 is the key. I guess you could supplement with L-DOPA too, which should aid the conversion process. What we really want is Mucana beans. Ask your local health store about them. I'm not sure if they are tasty, but they are given to people with Parkinson’s disease to help build dopamine. Alternatively, you could eat foods high in tyrosine.

Mammals synthesize tyrosine from the essential amino acid phenylalanine (phe), which is derived from food. The conversion of phe to tyr is catalyzed by the enzyme phenylalanine hydroxylase, a monooxygenase. This enzyme catalyzes the reaction causing the addition of a hydroxyl group to the end of the 6-carbon aromatic ring of phenylalanine, such that it becomes tyrosine.

Could be why dark choc seems to work, it's high in phenylalanine.

Tyrosine hydroxylase or tyrosine 3-monooxygenase is the enzyme responsible for catalyzing the conversion of the amino acid L-tyrosine to L-3,4-dihydroxyphenylalanine (L-DOPA).[1][2] It does so using molecular oxygen (O2), as well as iron (Fe2+) and tetrahydrobiopterin as cofactors.

So as with tryptophan hydroxylase, we need other things to help promote the conversion process. Namely tetrahydrobiopetrin, which some people do have deficiencies in. You can increase its synthesis rate through folate, niacin and vitamin C. It comes in the form of a BH4 supplement.
So to summarise you need:

Vitamin B6: Oats, spinach, sunflower seeds, tuna, turkey and chicken, lean pork, bananas, avocado
Iron: Kale, spinach, red meat
Zinc: Beef, lamb, turkey, pumpkin seeds, quiona, spinach, oats, mushrooms
Magnesium: Pumpkin seeds, tuna, whole grains, bananas, dairy and my favourite food, dark chocolate
Vitamin B9: Spinach, cos lettuce, romaine lettuce, broccoli, asparagus, avocado, mangos
Vitamin B3: Fish, salmon, yellow fish tuna, turkey, chicken breast, pork chops, sunflower seeds, avocado
Calcium: Milk, yogurt, cheese, spinach, kale, fish
Phospholipids: Eggs yolks, milk, soy, sunflower oil, canola oil
Vitamin C: kale leaves, bell peppers, kiwi fruits, strawberries and of course, oranges.
Tyrosine: Eggs, cottage cheese, salmon, turkey, bananas, dark chocolate, poultry, seaweed, pumpkins seeds, sunflower seeds, Mucana beans
Tryptophan: Dark chocolate, bananas, turkey, poultry, cheese, milk, fish, eggs, spinach

UPDATE - The required essential co-factors are

Vitamin C: 1,000 mg / day (Broccoli, Bok Choy, Kale, Bell peppers, Strawberries, Guava)
Vitamin B6: 75 mg/ day (Salmon, Tuna, Turkey - this amount is impossible without a supplement)
Calcium: 500 mg/ day (Milk, Cheese, Spinach, Kale, Bok Choy, Okra, Green Beans)
Cysteine: 4,500 mg/ day (divided doses) (Ricotta, Cottage Cheese, Yogurt, Chicken, Turkey, Duck, Wheat Germ, Oats, Quiona)
Selenium: 400 mcg / day (Brazil nuts, Tuna, Sunflower Seeds, Pork, Beef, Lamb, Chicken, Turkey, Rye)
Folic Acid: 2,000 – 3,000 mcg / day

I would suggest having sources from each nutrient group represented in every meal/snack for this to work.

One last thing – antinutrients need to be eliminated from one’s diet for this to be effective. Antinutrients inhibit absorption of vitamins and minerals. Grains, beans, potatos and legumes are full of antinturients, but they are found in a number of foods. Dark leafy greens, carrots, tomatoes, potatoes – these should all be cooked. Soaking grains and nuts help to. Ultimately, a Paelo diet would be ideal, but without the nuts. This means all grains must be soaked the day before for they are fit for consumption.

On top of this, a carbohydrate must be eaten with every meal. Carbohydrates help the tryptophan conversion process immensely.

UPDATE
It's been a number of weeks since I started this regime and I have seen vast improvements in mood and focus. I have been in a good enough mood to hold back on using drugs and alcohol, which has no doubt improved my results. However, I have started getting a little bit of sleep paralysis, so will hold off on the 5HTP supplement (50mg before bed, which I have been taking on and off) for another week, but continue with my diet. I will take a couple of doses of 5HTP leading up to whatever night I choose to test the MDMA.

Last edited:
Amazing post, thank you this was exactly what I was looking for. I always appreciate a well articulated page.

I eat paleo and love it. It was extremely hard to give up all the delicious junk food but well worth it. I don't recommend supplements. They were proven to be of no value, and you want your nutrients from food anyways because your body processes it better. Since eating paleo I don't really have comedowns. I still have yet to experience a meth comedown. So it has its ups for giving up junk food.

This diet is definitely improving my mood drastically and my overall digestive health...I've been using the occasional 5HTP supplement to help move things along, also with Vitamin b6 thrown in there from time to time...but my basic foods are bananas, spinach, eggs, 70-90% dark chocolate, kale, almond milk and some kind of tuna/salmon/chicken based dinner alternated with a steak once to twice a week.

I had to cut out carbs though as I'm sticking to a paelo diet now...combining protein with carbs hinders proper digestion. Combining fruit with anything else also hinders proper digestion, so fruit must be eaten by itself three hours between meals. Also, all grains/nuts have anti nutrients in them that prevents absorption of nutrients so another reason to cut them out of the diet...or at least only have them by themselves.

I will wait until not next week, but the week after to try some MDMA.

Are you sure its nuts? From my research it was just legumes. Walnuts and almonds have the best Omega 6 to Omega 3 ratio, I usually eat about a handful a day of almonds, along with flaxseed.

Nope, it's nuts too...I know it makes things so much harder. Nuts are a great source of vitamins and minerals, as you can see in my post, pepitas, sunflower seeds and seasme seeds are so good for you. I've been too lazy at the moment to soak them, but generally you do the same thing as with grains - soak them in water and apple cider vinegar for about 6 hours (shorter soaking time) and then you roast them in the oven. It's a lot of preparation...so if you planned to eat like a serve of nuts everyday, then just make sure you soak them 6 hours before you want to eat, in the morning or before you go to bed I guess. Don't soak them and then store them in the fridge because they get mouldy really quickly. I think the antinutrients issue is a little over played in health circles, it certainly inhibits absorption to a degree, but I don't think it completely negates the nutrients in food. It's worth doing the soaking if you have the time though. I mean, if you're eating paleo you don't have to worry about grains, so it wouldn't be too hard to soak some nuts everyday.

As far as I know almonds are probably okay...but other nuts like pepitas and sunflower seeds should be soaked.

I was reading some papers online and apparently they did some studies on 5HTP that showed a lot of improvement in serotonin production for people with low 5ht levels...the key was that in order to create more serotonin the patients were given magnesium shots and a vitamin b6 supplement to increase the rate of conversion...apparently people with lactose intolerance have less capacity to create serotonin because of the complex absorption/conversion issues. But supplementing with these key vitamins/minerals really improved serotonin levels for these patients.

I still prefer the idea of doing it without 5htp, but these studies highlight the importance of full vitamin/mineral balance for efficient serotonin production.

So your goal with the diet is to recover faster? Did you have an issue with this? I'm guessing I'm not understanding the reasoning behind this diet

Not much into soy milk, don't see the benefit. Kale is more nutritious than spinach. Yes steamed is better than boiled but what about making a soup/drinking the broth?

All this talk about zinc but not a single mention of oysters...

I can summarize this extremely long OP in one short sentence:

It's important to eat a balanced diet

This OP seems better suited for a blog tbh

Well, it's not as simple as a balanced diet...the traditional balanced diet is actually not enough to reach optimal levels. If you analyse the nutritional value of food items you will quickly discover that you need heaps of these super foods to achieve any kind of desirable goal. And there are specific food items that need to be eaten together to increase the rate of serotonin production. Like I said, it's not as simple as trypotophan = serotonin.

My goal is serotonin replenishment after years of MDMA use. And because I want to continue to use it and not ruin the experience. I have certainly reduced my serotonin levels from too much MDMA and other related drugs in the past few years. Eating certain foods on a consistent basis in combination with optimal nutrition levels and a krill oil supplement to help activate the right enzymes will hopefully lead to my end result of replenished serotonin. People in recovery from MDMA focus too much on finding some obscure neurological condition or simply relying on 5HTP without actually looking at how diet effects serotonin production. Also the whole 1 month rule is really not that helpful unless you're body is actually recovering serotonin from high trypotphan foods. It can't make something out of nothing. The serotonin recovery process will always take longer unless you take control of it yourself and make a conscious effort to give your body the fuel it needs to recover. On top of that, if you are doing things that hinder nutrient absorption then the process will take a lot longer - certainly not one month.

It's nowhere near as simple as a traditional balanced diet. Two cups of spinach, one banana, 50g of 90% dark chocolate, eggs/tuna/salmon/chicken for lunch or dinner, super vegetables like kale and green beans, sunflower seeds, seasme seeds, coconut yogurt - none of these things are staples of a traditional diet and I eat these foods every day. A traditional diet will emphasise 5-6 serves of carbs, 1 serve of protein, 4 - 5 serves of veggies, 3 serves of dairy and 3 serves of fruit a day. That does not really give any useful information and is pretty outdated in terms of healthy diets in modern society. On top of that, there are many things that affect absorption of minerals and vitamins that do no factor into a 'balanced diet' recommendation. The basic, almost moronic ideal of diet, certainly doesn't highlight a diet that will help replenish serotonin. This diet will keep you alive, but it won't make you healthy and it won't help serotonin to recover.

And my OP isn't really that long. If you don't have the mental capacity to read 500 odd words, then you probably don't have the mental capacity or fortitude to apply this diet successfully. Sorry to get narky...but it's a shame when you research something for a number of hours, are keen to share your information and have somebody simplify your ideas into something that doesn't remotely reflect my original post. I personally hate when doctors tell me to take medication without giving me the background info of how it will make me healthy and I thought some people recovering their serotonin might be interested to see how the conversion process works, even if they're just taking a 5htp supplement and not necessarily using diet. Without a vitamin b6 supplement, optimum magnesium, calcium and iron levels and a tyrosine supplement, the 5htp is not that useful. People are wasting their money on 5htp and I thought I'd take 500 words or so to explain why instead of just simply saying 'eat a balanced diet', which isn't actually what my post is about. But 5HTP can work if you use it correctly.

Last edited:
I saw a post on here a few months back about another method, not so much healthy eating as it was for MDMA to work like new again. I can't remember the exact details but it had to do with drinking alcohol everyday up until a month before you were going to take some. Something about alcohol reducing serotonin to the point where it seems normal. Don't quote me on the specifics but it seemed reasonable enough.

drinking alcohol everyday? lol really, would be interested in reading that...

Well, it's not as simple as a balanced diet...the traditional balanced diet is actually not enough to reach optimal levels. If you analyse the nutritional value of food items you will quickly discover that you need heaps of these super foods to achieve any kind of desirable goal. And there are specific food items that need to be eaten together to increase the rate of serotonin production. Like I said, it's not as simple as trypotophan = serotonin.

My goal is serotonin replenishment after years of MDMA use. And because I want to continue to use it and not ruin the experience. I have certainly reduced my serotonin levels from too much MDMA and other related drugs in the past few years. Eating certain foods on a consistent basis in combination with optimal nutrition levels and a krill oil supplement to help activate the right enzymes will hopefully lead to my end result of replenished serotonin. People in recovery from MDMA focus too much on finding some obscure neurological condition or simply relying on 5HTP without actually looking at how diet effects serotonin production. Also the whole 1 month rule is really not that helpful unless you're body is actually recovering serotonin from high trypotphan foods. It can't make something out of nothing. The serotonin recovery process will always take longer unless you take control of it yourself and make a conscious effort to give your body the fuel it needs to recover. On top of that, if you are doing things that hinder nutrient absorption then the process will take a lot longer - certainly not one month.

It's nowhere near as simple as a traditional balanced diet. Two cups of spinach, one banana, 50g of 90% dark chocolate, eggs/tuna/salmon/chicken for lunch or dinner, super vegetables like kale and green beans, sunflower seeds, seasme seeds, coconut yogurt - none of these things are staples of a traditional diet and I eat these foods every day. A traditional diet will emphasise 5-6 serves of carbs, 1 serve of protein, 4 - 5 serves of veggies, 3 serves of dairy and 3 serves of fruit a day. That does not really give any useful information and is pretty outdated in terms of healthy diets in modern society. On top of that, there are many things that affect absorption of minerals and vitamins that do no factor into a 'balanced diet' recommendation. The basic, almost moronic ideal of diet, certainly doesn't highlight a diet that will help replenish serotonin. This diet will keep you alive, but it won't make you healthy and it won't help serotonin to recover.

And my OP isn't really that long. If you don't have the mental capacity to read 500 odd words, then you probably don't have the mental capacity or fortitude to apply this diet successfully. Sorry to get narky...but it's a shame when you research something for a number of hours, are keen to share your information and have somebody simplify your ideas into something that doesn't remotely reflect my original post. I personally hate when doctors tell me to take medication without giving me the background info of how it will make me healthy and I thought some people recovering their serotonin might be interested to see how the conversion process works, even if they're just taking a 5htp supplement and not necessarily using diet. Without a vitamin b6 supplement, optimum magnesium, calcium and iron levels and a tyrosine supplement, the 5htp is not that useful. People are wasting their money on 5htp and I thought I'd take 500 words or so to explain why instead of just simply saying 'eat a balanced diet', which isn't actually what my post is about. But 5HTP can work if you use it correctly.

Hmm i personally don't take 5htp. Instead I go to the gym and lift weights 4 days a week and eat lots of protein - fish, eggs, chicken, grass-fed beef, oysters, whey & soy protein. Oysters are a very important superfood i noticed you left out. Also left out kale greens. I like to mix just about every vegetable there is, steamed or in a soup or even raw on a sandwich. For carbohydrates oats are good but I like beans & potatoes even better.

krill oil is OK. Personally I have a bottle of flax seed oil. I eat TONS of avocado. Basically the same stuff you eat for building muscle is the same stuff that helps serotonin. It's a win win for me lol