News Dangerous drug trend called 'wasping' combines insecticide with meth

RUC4

Bluelighter
Dangerous drug trend called 'wasping' combines insecticide with meth

ABC News
By: Dr. Kelly Arps
28 March 2018

Excerpts:

The concerning new drug practice is an abuse of the active components in insect killer, most commonly wasp killer spray, to achieve a high. Abused in combination with methamphetamines or used as a meth substitute, it has been reported by users to generate a “rush,” feelings of déjà vu and a hallucinatory sense of smell. Users either spray the liquid onto the methamphetamine or crystallize the liquid using hot metal sheets, allowing the finished product to be inhaled or injected.
Extreme physical responses to wasping have been reported in some cases.
The active ingredient in pesticides is a class of molecules known as pyrethroids, which penetrate the insect’s nervous system. In insects, pyrethroids stun and then kill. In humans, they block normal nerve signaling, causing abnormal sensation and, in the worst cases, seizures or even paralysis.
Pyrethroids are toxins that can be deadly, either through respiratory failure or paralysis.

While reading all about Wasping, I found this little interesting fact: More than 20% of meth addicts in recovery (for at least 6 months) develop a form of psychosis-like schizophrenia that does not respond to treatment. This is saying 1 in 5 meth addicts in recovery will have lasting mental health problems that don't respond to treatment.

That is the scariest fact I've ever read. My gf works as a nurse in an in-patient mental health facility, and some of the patients are former meth users. Some of them will never be able to live by themselves and care for themselves again, and they are as young as 24.

This is what sets meth apart from other substances. Not only do you have to retrain your brain because addiction has messed up the neural pathways (like all addicts), but also have a life-long (possibly) serious mental illness.

While reading all about Wasping, I found this little interesting fact: More than 20% of meth addicts in recovery (for at least 6 months) develop a form of psychosis-like schizophrenia that does not respond to treatment. This is saying 1 in 5 meth addicts in recovery will have lasting mental health problems that don't respond to treatment.

That is pretty interesting, can you share the source?

I love the concept of wasp spray.

But seriously, everytime a random mentally ill guy high on meth does something stupid it instantly becomes the "nEw dANgeRoUs dRuG tREnD!!!! These meth-heads are crazier than ever!"

That is pretty interesting, can you share the source?
Sure. It was : HERE

The article says:
"Drug addicts seek an escape from reality for many reasons. Often times, it is a case of a pre-existing mental health issue, but mental health can also decline following the onset of addiction. Unfortunately, methamphetamine and crystal meth addictions come with substantive detriment to physical and mental wellness. Because these drugs are extremely addicting, it can take months to adequately detox from them.
More than 20% of meth addicts in recovery (for at least 6 months) develop a form of psychosis-like schizophrenia that does not respond to treatment."

This reminds me a lot of the articles from the late 90s claiming that teenagers in American schools were doing Jenkem.
Jenkem is a purported inhalant and hallucinogen created from fermented human waste. In the mid-1990s, it was reported to be a popular street drug among Zambian youth.

I had to look it up. I must have dismissed this information. This would go back to the comment @jasperkent made:

When people are resorting to bug spray to get high, even the most die-hard Anti-Drug Warrior must surely admit that prohibition just does NOT work.

Prohibition isn't and never was about safety, it's about control. Control over the substance and control over the people.
Very true. Some hardcore Anti-Drug Warriors probably feel that junkie lives don't matter.
(edit)
PS-- It is well-documented that cannabis and cocaine originally became illegal for purely racist reasons. Enforcement of drug laws continues to be racially skewed even today.

There's no way that this is real...
Agreed and it has been thrown at us before. Who would knowingly take pesticide or who would keep using meth with the poison feeling? (ok maybe some desperate people but most would not) That and the fact I heard this 20 years ago makes me think it is a recycled story because the journalist ran out of shock value. (Youngsters smoking pesticide)

Jenkem lol. I had heard in the original story that a young kid put a chocolate donut in a plastic bad and huffed saying it was feces. Then the local law enforcement went all crazy trying to get a handle on this new drug craze. lol I remember the LOE's in the pictures. If true that kid deserves a Nobel Prize.

Last edited:
There's no way that this is real...
It's real. Some people use the insecticide by itself when they run out of meth. People have posted here about it.

Oddly enough you can use electicity to extract crystals from the liquid in the aerosol bottle, which sounds like delusional tweaker nonsense, but it works.

Last edited:
Sure. It was : HERE

The article says:
"Drug addicts seek an escape from reality for many reasons. Often times, it is a case of a pre-existing mental health issue, but mental health can also decline following the onset of addiction. Unfortunately, methamphetamine and crystal meth addictions come with substantive detriment to physical and mental wellness. Because these drugs are extremely addicting, it can take months to adequately detox from them.
More than 20% of meth addicts in recovery (for at least 6 months) develop a form of psychosis-like schizophrenia that does not respond to treatment."

Thanks. Rehab websites are notorious for unsupported claims of this type, however, so I would take it with a grain of salt.