• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Addiction Damage from ingesting hand sanitizer

cowardescent

Bluelighter
So I've had issues with alcohol since I was 19 (especially benzos and alcohol when travelling to the States). I've always had issues finding employment, even the most menial jobs so I've had little money. During the lockdown, I saw that sanitizers now contained ethyl alcohol, the same alcohol in drinking alcohol but more importantly, they lacked the bittering agent that hand sanitizers used to have.

I've been basically drinking sanitizer for two years as one 200ml bottle of 70% alcohol is €1.50. There's an even cheaper one that contains 5% hydrogen peroxide but I try and avoid that (although I'm ashamed to say that I've drank that as well).

Is it really unsafe to drink this stuff? I'm seriously considering going back to it as I've been drinking straight (normal alcohol and sanitizers) for 6 months straight and now that I'm broke, I want to buy a few more bottles before seizing up and dying.

It is horribly bad for you. And sorry you are in this spot, but you are going to harm yourself. I could list 100 links but I don't have to. You know you cannot keep doing what you are doing.

You really should stop doing this immediately!

Hand sanitizer often contains denatured alcohol and is contaminated with methanol, 1-propanol and other nasty extremely toxic things. They intentionally add (or fail to remove) these toxins to avoid paying the consumable alcohol tax, which is why it's so damn cheap.

I'm frankly shocked you've been drinking it this long without any major health damage.

doesent that also contain isopropanol? Which is really toxic. If you want cheap alcohol there are lots of youtube vids on how to make moonshine which is just a name for homemade distilled alcohol. I mean all you need is sugar water yeast and a still which you can buy online. Ive had homemade vodka made that way that was honestly no worse then shit like absolute. Or if you cant afford a still you could just brew your own beer or wine. Anything is better then fucking hand sanitizer

doesent that also contain isopropanol? Which is really toxic. If you want cheap alcohol there are lots of youtube vids on how to make moonshine which is just a name for homemade distilled alcohol. I mean all you need is sugar water yeast and a still which you can buy online. Ive had homemade vodka made that way that was honestly no worse then shit like absolute. Or if you cant afford a still you could just brew your own beer or wine. Anything is better then fucking hand sanitizer

This.

It really is easy, just a start up cost for the still but once your setup it’s literal pennies to produce. I was making banana shine for awhile that was really tasty.

-GC

This.

It really is easy, just a start up cost for the still but once your setup it’s literal pennies to produce. I was making banana shine for awhile that was really tasty.

-GC

Oh i saw a video on that. Banna brandy basically i think isnt it? That could be some tasty shit. It's popular in Uganda i think

I know nothing about alcohol or hand sanitizer ( the ingredients therein ) but wouldn't mouthwash be better than hand sanitizer. Not sure ounce for ounce how it compares to alcohol % by volume but can't cheap mouthwash be had at the dollar store. Seems the hand sanitizer would taste like shit as don't some have perfumes in them. I've smelled a few that had like a lilac scent or something. Given the choice I think I would choose the mouthwash just for the flavor alone. I really feel for anyone that can't afford actual beer, wine or booze and has to resort to less effective ( and dangerous ) products to keep from getting ill.

Stay safe.

I know nothing about alcohol or hand sanitizer ( the ingredients therein ) but wouldn't mouthwash be better than hand sanitizer. Not sure ounce for ounce how it compares to alcohol % by volume but can't cheap mouthwash be had at the dollar store. Seems the hand sanitizer would taste like shit as don't some have perfumes in them. I've smelled a few that had like a lilac scent or something. Given the choice I think I would choose the mouthwash just for the flavor alone. I really feel for anyone that can't afford actual beer, wine or booze and has to resort to less effective ( and dangerous ) products to keep from getting ill.

Stay safe.

Well theres nothing in it that would kill you atleast. Though id think making moonshine would probably be actually cheaper in the long run and alot more drinkable.

My GP told me that I had elevated liver enzymes and he's sending me off for a detox in a week and a half. Problem is I don't know how I'll make it as I'll be running out of alcohol and don't want to go cold turkey after 7 months.

but wouldn't mouthwash be better than hand sanitizer.
Theoretically, maybe.

I have imbibed both mouthwash and hand sanitizer. Mouthwash is awful to drink as well, it really fucks up your stomach big time and is full of stuff you don't want to drink like flouride.

I guess they probably take the methanol out, so there's that I guess.

It's only like 10-20% alcohol, though, which isn't easy for an alcoholic to get drunk from.

Mouthwash is more difficult to drink, though, for sure. Induces vomit.

My GP told me that I had elevated liver enzymes and he's sending me off for a detox in a week and a half. Problem is I don't know how I'll make it as I'll be running out of alcohol and don't want to go cold turkey after 7 months.

That's not so bad your liver can heal itself. And yeah fuck cold turkey is it a private or public detox?

Well theres nothing in it that would kill you atleast. Though id think making moonshine would probably be actually cheaper in the long run and alot more drinkable.
I agree about any homemade hooch. Cheaper, easier and more sustainable. Was thinking for a quick fix that the OP could substitute the mouthwash instead. Then when they got stable they could hook up something homemade.

That's not so bad your liver can heal itself. And yeah fuck cold turkey is it a private or public detox?
It's public. No way I have money for private.

What I'm worried about as I said in a few post previously is the risk of seizures. Right now, I'm totally broke (only €3 in my account). I've gone without alcohol for 24 hours and already have the shakes and auditory disturbances (but thankfully no psychosis or full blown hallucinations). I don't want to quit cold turkey but the only thing I can afford is the sanitizer until I go to the detox in September.

What I'm worried about as I said in a few post previously is the risk of seizures. Right now, I'm totally broke (only €3 in my account). I've gone without alcohol for 24 hours and already have the shakes and auditory disturbances (but thankfully no psychosis or full blown hallucinations). I don't want to quit cold turkey but the only thing I can afford is the sanitizer until I go to the detox in September.

Can u hit up a doc for benzos? for alcohol detox they really have to give you something. Then again i as made to go cold turkey from benzos so ya who knows. I was in for psychosis initially though not addiction and it was a godawful public one cause im broke to lol

Last edited:
Can u hit up a doc for benzos? for alcohol detox they really have to give you something. Then again i as made to go cold turkey from benzos so ya who knows. I was in for psychosis initially though not addiction and it was a godawful public one cause im broke to lol
Unfortunately not. Have to pay €60 to see a GP plus doctors here seldom give you benzos. Have actually been labelled a drug-seeker in my notes when going to A&E for alcohol withdrawal in the past so it's not worth it.

Sounds like you are between a rock and a hard place for sure. The only option you have is to borrow some $$ to get some alcohol or what may end up happening is that if you start to feel really bad you can go to your local ER and they will at least stabilize you. Normally that means 1 or 2 mgs. of Ativan and a few to take home with you. It's only a band-aid but it gives you a bit of breathing room to try and find someone to loan you some cash.

Nothing to pawn? Can't donate plasma? No options in your world at all to turn something into $$ ?

How much of the sanitizer have you been drinking on average (per day)?

Sounds like you are between a rock and a hard place for sure. The only option you have is to borrow some $$ to get some alcohol or what may end up happening is that if you start to feel really bad you can go to your local ER and they will at least stabilize you. Normally that means 1 or 2 mgs. of Ativan and a few to take home with you. It's only a band-aid but it gives you a bit of breathing room to try and find someone to loan you some cash.

Nothing to pawn? Can't donate plasma? No options in your world at all to turn something into $$ ?
Nope. Been isolated and once homeless for a while because family didn't approve at all of me taking drugs/alcohol. They're alive but might as well be dead. I can't donate plasma in my country as the EU makes it illegal.

Nope. Been isolated and once homeless for a while because family didn't approve at all of me taking drugs/alcohol. They're alive but might as well be dead. I can't donate plasma in my country as the EU makes it illegal.
Oh damn, you aren't in the US. We have donation centers on every corner now and if you are fairly healthy with a good BP, iron levels and some other qualifications people can make decent money donating their plasma. You can actually be on drugs and still donate. I guess they filter it out or something.

I'm not really sure what you can do at this point. If you were in the US you could walk into any Emergency Room in any Hospital ( well ALMOST any Hospital ) and they would at least take pity on you and stabilize you. Most also have Mental Health professionals on site and can sometimes get people in detox much quicker simply for the reason that they are in the ER . If nothing else they can at least give you a list of resources that might give you some $$ like Church and Outreach Organizations. One thing about the US is if you really want help and are willing to jump through the hoops we CAN get help.

Stay strong !