• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Daily weed smokers 25% more likely to have heart attack, 42% higher stroke risk

On the topic of edibles yeah that shit just doesn't seem to work for me. I don't think I've ever gotten 'high' from edibles. Been given bags of gummies by friends who are like 'only take 3 or 4'. I proceed to eat 30-40 because I've been through this bullshit many times, the entire bag is eaten.. And feel nothing, or maybe not nothing but a single joint would do more. One friend brewed up a batch of.. Think it was coconut oil and thc? Something like that. He was similar stoner level to me and was getting blasted from a spoonful. Told me be careful this batch is really potent.. I had.. 10 spoonfuls? Nothing.

Feel like it's something to do with my stomach being a bit.. Not 'sensitive', but it seems my body is very aware when I eat 'not normal'. For example I never get food poisoning, I vomit within 10 or so minutes of eating bad food. On occasions others who have been with me eating the same food, they don't vomit, and get the runs or varying levels of food poisoning the next day. I don't vomit or feel sick eating thc edibles but I think my stomach is doing something unexplained.. I just don't get high like other people do. I feel a bit green and sluggish the next day, that effect is probably more obvious than the actual 'high' the day before.

As for the study.. Yeah I mean, I always assumed smoking weed wasn't great for your circulation or lungs. Sometimes when I cough while smoking weed I get localized head pain for the moment of the cough. Can't be good having your blood pressure spike like that while it's got smoke in it(or whatever gets into your blood past ya lungs).

Edibles do work for me, but I agree that they are very different, in some ways less potent, than vaping or smoking. The high itself is different and more of a body high, and I also notice that I definitely look less high when on them. I can take what for me would be a fairly high dose of edibles (I don't use weed in any form that often, so for me a really high dose would be 100mgs, but I usually take like 0.30mgs) and my eyes won't even get red, but one big hit and my eyes are shot. I don't know why that is, but I'm sure there's a scientific explanation, and it seems in accordance with the effects seeming weaker. Generally if I take an edible I will want to smoke or vape at least a little bit or it won't feel satisfying enough, but sometimes I'm ok with just an edible. I agree that the less I have in my stomach the harder the edible will hit.

As for the study, would 25% increase in heart attack mean 1 in 4 people who smoke daily would get a heart attack?!?! And does 42% for stroke mean almost 1 in 2 people would get a stroke?!? That doesn't seem possible.

It means that if you are at 1% risk for heart attack, you are now at 1.25% risk, and if 1% risk for stroke you are now at 1.42% risk

Last edited:
It means that if you are at 1% risk for heart attack, you are now at 1.25% risk, and if 1% risk for stroke you are now at 1.42% risk
Actually, it means you've got a 25% chance of having a heart attack and 42% chance of stroke everytime you light up a doob 🤣 this is click bait mate you are doing it wrong!

My doctors, nurses, dietitians, phrmacist and socialworker in dialysis sre recommending that I consume a heart attack inducing drug? The horror….

Edinbles are how I distract myself during dialysis; that and Twitter/videogames.

Tom

Last edited:
My doctors, nurses, dietitians, phrmacist and socialworker in dialysis sre recommending that I consume a heart attack inducing drug? The horror….

Edinles are how I distract myself during dialysis; that and Twitter/videogames.

Tom
Physicians can only make recommendations based on current evidence, evidence which changes over time based on research. These recommendations are like to change to eating rather than consuming with lungs. We need to remember that science is a process of discovery, we don't know everything

The study at hand deals with smoking specifically not edibles

I honestly don't know if I even believe it
Because I don't care what anyone says, I think it is impossible to have a controlled study in 2024. People are on too many things. Too many variables. My deciding factor in not putting any faith in studies was when my 85 year old FIL was in a turmeric study 15 years ago. The findings were published. What was not said was that my FIL was on about 6 different drugs as it was, including pregabalin and a few other heavy variables. How can you get any info out of a study with so many variables?

I think genetics is the one big factor in any study. Someone that has had heart issues in the family like stents, blockages, etc... for sure become hereditary. the only hereditary medical issue I believe hits everyone is cancer. I see things like heart issues and dementia become hereditary and handed down.

My father is 91 and has smoked for 75 years and still does. His younger brother died of lung cancer at 40 years old years ago. So even hereditary issues get complicated.

I think the bests medicine is to not worry. :) Worry kills.

Considering curcumin/turmeric

Good studies control for concurrent medications, that bring said their definitely are bad studies out there. Meta analysis tend to be the best because they take data from numerous studies to make conclusions which weeds out problematic data

B
Physicians can only make recommendations based on current evidence, evidence which changes over time based on research. These recommendations are like to change to eating rather than consuming with lungs. We need to remember that science is a process of discovery, we don't know everything

The study at hand deals with smoking specifically not edibles
I apologize if my humor was not very ‘humorous’. Everyone on my health team recommends Cannabis. Back when I wad in Winnipeg, it was actively mentioned (vaping or smoking). Spent 27+ years in research and always look for funding sources when an article/recommendation looks too biased.

Tom

That would be mathematically correct. Essentially the same statement?

Jack-a-roe- I only laugh because it is all too true. Even made songs about it.

To your second point; I agree genetics are LARGELY at play here. However strokes run in my family so umm shit. Everyone consider your genetics and family history as I venture most of us are at more than a 1% chance of having a heart attack or stroke; per umm lifetime?

Last edited:
Well, at least I have something to aim for now. 😅

I do wish I could get my body to act right with edibles, though, at least to cut back smoking.

Covid and the vaccine can cause cardiomyopathy not stroke or MI as far as I'm aware, if you have studies on the association of stroke or MI with covid or the vaccine I would be happy to read it

Smoke causing endothelial damage is not new information, we knew that before the pandemic

I am 95% sure that was a joke.

Good to know cardiomyapathy is a possible side effect of the vaccine... much moreso with the disease I expect.

idk why we are focusing on source 11/study or was it 12 so much....That is the one i could write off. 1 minute of second hand marijuana exposure results endothelial damage? Temporary inflamamation MAYBE, but second hand; permanent damage: 60 seconds of secondhand exposure. don't buy it.

That said this is disturbing news at best.

Jack-a-roe- I only laugh because it is all too true. Even made songs about it.
Haha would love to hear a song.

I am looking for a quote on exactly what I believe about health and illness. As soon as I find it I'll edit this and post. It always hit home to me. It is in a book of mine and skimming has not brought it up yet.

But yes we are all at a 3.64987% chance of dying in the next 5 years. :p

Shoot...I will upload it to soundcloud not click sorry its been a bit. and post it there than send you the link along with the lyrics. Haha no making fun of me though this is a hobby not a career!

check your messages. Thanks if you do choose to listen to it!

Last edited: