• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Daily Nitrous use with B-12 supplementation

Question: OTHER than oxygen deprivation-related injuries, are there known dangers of nitrous use? Problems from the Nitrous itself?

I think B-12 depletion is the only risk, and like people have said, this requires severely abusing nitrous for a long period of time. However, from what I've read from the few people that have managed to do this, it can be extremely debilitating and some of the damage never goes away. Someone made a thread about this a while ago. Still, this is only a problem if you start doing like a hundred cartridges a day or something along those lines. If you use even the smallest amount of common sense, there is little risk involved with using nitrous, especially when compared to almost any other drug.

pilkoid:

I would imagine smoke the DMT first and then either pre or post breakthrough, hit the nitrous.... doesnt seem too hard

residue in nitrous canister - machine oil?

the one unknown in the use of chargers is the obvious dark residue left in the canisters, the primary source - obviously in the gas - that i have found zero info on. the word is it's machine oil from the charger plant(s). However you spin it, anything petroleum-based must have some level of risk/carcinogen to it. I'd love to find an exact explanation or analysis of what it exactly it is. If it's dark and in the canister, it must be hitting lungs too--

I wouldn't consider nitrous to be the safest psychoactive known to man, and I wouldn't say it coudn't cause hypoxia. It certainly can. If I was to spend the same amount of time with my lungs full of nitrous oxide as I would on a roll of MDMA (about 4 hours), I would be certain the damage to my body would be far greater from N2O. And MDMA is considered pretty neurotoxic. I don't believe B12 would prevent anyone from all of the risks associated with heavy N2O use, since much of the damage would arise due to a lower level of oxygen in the blood and the secondary and tertiary effects associated with such.

In RhythmSpring's case, it sounds like he's using nowhere near enough N2O to cause any problems. And he is being cautious and taking precautionary measures, which is good. Still, I'd be wary of glossing over any harmful effects that may arise due to the use of N2O.

Incidentally, the respiratory system regulates breathing on the blood level of carbon dioxide, not oxygen. This means that the CNS will not register hypoxia as an event to respond to if it is not accompanied by a rise in carbon dioxide, as is the case with high pulmonary levels of N2O or other inert gasses.

Solipsis dear you are incorrect. So long as you do not strap a mask on yourself or some other idiotic method, inhaling individual balloons poses almost ZERO risk of "hypoxia" you are fear mongering IMO with scary sounding words. The natural impulse to BREATH will FORCE a contraction of the diaphram when the brain determines it MUST have more oxygen. It is as difficult to cause brain damage from inhaling nitrous balloons as it is to cause it by deliberately holding your breath... in other words ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE.

And if you take B12 sublingual tabs before then after doing nitrous it will prevent completely any damage. The ONLY way to cause damage is to do truly staggering amounts, as in an entire large dentist's cylinder of it in the space of a few hours. And no one doing whippets is going to end up consuming that much... problems from nitrous are just about THE RAREST of all drug injuries, as in literally only a few documented cases in the entire literature, ever.

Still I have had the experience myself of getting very blue lips and feeling like utter shit. And I wasn't using insane amounts, it was what I would call what to expect in a party setting. I assure you the blue was not painted on. Don't be so quick to say that everything is cool and just relax.
I do recommend that people blow into their balloons before starting to inhale. Also, when you are far gone on nitrous apparently some people can get sort of apneu and stop breathing for a bit. Not like suffocating of course but still combined with inhaling pure nitrous it can be enough to get hypoxic. I will say it again it really sucks ass and it can get you bummed out for maybe 20-30 minutes. I don't know how much real damage it does, I just hope people can prevent getting the same feeling I did is all. And I know of others who have had this as well.

Also I proclaimed some worry about nitrous thinking about combinations, something not taken into account when reading back literature on the general safety in a medical setting with mixed-in oxygen.

I myself have gotten something like an epileptic fit or seizure on LSD + N2O (as I understand it you shouldn't be too quick calling something a seizure so I am not sure), anyway I went stiff as a board and I felt like shortcircuiting hardcore. I was scared for my physical well-being, not ego-wise but just feeling terribly unhealthy and alarmed by what my body was telling me. After that I went very easy on the combo but still got similar things only milder.
Not sure what happens to your seizure threshold with similar combinations but it turned me off.

On a whole other occasion a friend of mine got really fucked on nitrous while on 2C-I and K, he lost his feeling of hot and cold and was very stuck mentally. Of course that doesn't say a lot about the physical safety of nitrous but it should be mentioned because it is still something you do not want. I was 10 seconds away from calling the paramedics on the guy. It was that bad.

Nitrous in general might not pose too big of a risk in terms of lasting harmful effects but still even when I supplemented with vitamins including B when I did more than a couple sometimes I could just feel like I was missing a lot of nutrients - huge fatigue and feeling cold inside. You are more than welcome to explain all of this to me.

Honestly I don't care how safe you are feeling about nitrous, but personal experience tells me to watch my ass especially with combinations. I am very happy for you if you have never gotten negative effects with it but that doesn't mean that it isn't possible.
Be sensible, not cocky.

That sounds horrible Solipsis. I wonder if it was temporary hypoxia to the organs that got you feeling like that. I'm really not fond of N2O either, it makes me feel wrong in the head (beyond it's dissociation), and yeah just generally 'bummed out' (lol) like you said.

I've always tried to caution people when they use nitrous, since most people I've seen using it tend to do so in a very irresponisible manner. Either doing it from a balloon and repeating multiple times without breaths of air in between, or straight from the pump. If you're going to use ballons, take breaths of air in between. Remember that at least some of the headiness that you're experiencing is from oxygen deprivation, like altitude sickness. Blue lips is a sign of hypoxia, which means oxygen deprivation to the whole body including vital organs. I'm not trying to scare anybody either, I'm saying that it's got to be used sensibly if you regard the health of your body.

I would definitely suggesting taking Vitamin B, but if the nitrous is doing something to block the vitamin B it may not matter. I saw online line a young girl who had damage to her spinal column and it can not be fixed. It would be better to take it instead of not taking it, but I don't think that can make it safe.