• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

dabs wtf?

710wtf?

Greenlighter
TLDR: Didn't know what dabs were. Tried one at a party. Lost my mind for 4 hours and had an extremely challenging time. Came down. Ate a shitload of food. Still a bit fuzzy and traumatized 3 days later.

Some background. I'm in my early 40s. Been smoking off and on since I was 13 or so, though lately more off than on (smoke a bowl a couple times a month). Been through the psychedelic wringer more than once, though I don't usually indulge these days. Also note, I don't like being really high. I don't eat edibles because of this, and I rarely hit bongs. Too much cannabis makes me paranoid and terrible feeling. I can handle a few hits of LSD way better than I can handle a few bong rips of dank.

Was at a party this past weekend and some folks had an oil rig and were passing it around. Being an old fogey, I had heard of dabs but not really anything about them. I knew they were some kind of hash though, and I've smoked plenty of hash in my life so I figured WTF, I'll take only one hit off this thing and get moderately stoned. (NOTE: hash =//= BHO) Was already a bit drunk and I enjoy being stoned while drunk as the alcohol usually moderates the paranoia factor for me.
Fast forward 10 minutes and I'm straight tripping. Like seriously as high as I've ever been off of good edibles magnified by 10. Easily as disorienting as the come-up of a high dose mushroom trip, especially as I was expecting to get "a little stoned". At one point in the come up, I was blind for at least 5 minutes, everything just a blur of light and color.

Spent the next 4 hours out of my head. A few beautiful moments dancing and listening to music with full synesthesia and time warping, a few hilarious moments, but mostly a Very Bad No Good trip. Full on paranoia, dry heaving, moments of intense disorientation because I couldn't keep my eyes focused or open. The visual and auditory distortions were intense. Auditory was as intense as I've had on lots of MXE and visuals were not so much interesting hallucinations as disorienting blurs of lights and colors. At one point I was not only observing myself from behind myself but getting the full jittery framerate/strobing thing that I associate with dissociatives (and don't think I've ever experienced with cannabis). At another point I felt near-paralyzed and untethered from my body and I had dissolved into a sort of vibrating energy being.

All that would have been fine and maybe even fun and interesting (if I expected it) without the paranoia and panic from hell. Seriously felt like I was stuck in a slow motion panic attack for hours. Just kept pacing around in circles and telling people that I was too high and I couldn't deal. Tried all my tricks for grounding uncomfortable psychedelic states, but as I said, for whatever reason I'm bad with lots of weed. At one point I think I was just spinning a circle for 20 minutes repeating, "I can't deal with this" and almost in tears. At another point I was just hugging my knees and rocking back and forth trying to hang onto shreds of sanity. Really really threw me for a loop. Every time I felt like I had climbed on top of the fear and panic and was grounded again, I'd just get smashed by another wave of shaking and dry heaving and rapid heartrate and it would all start over again.

Anyways, I'm sure some people will tell me to suck it up, it's just weed, but IMHO BHO is as different from eating pot as eating pot is from smoking it, and is not getting stoned so much as having a fully psychedelic cannabis experience. Did not even imagine it was possible to have such a challenging experience with cannabis.
If you tend towards paranoia when really stoned, I would advise being careful with dabs no matter how experienced you are with other psychedelics. I've had more than my fair share of paranoid highs, but this was on another level.

I did have a rather hilarious come-down though. Not only was I a bit euphoric and relieved to not be so high anymore, I had munchies like I don't think I've had since I was a teenager getting blazed all the time. Ate like 2 bags of potato chips and a box of donuts and a bowl of cereal.

Last edited:
This isn't uncommon. My ex Girlfriend had a similar experience, you just gotta ride it out like you did. I've never dabbed out of a rig, only electronic "vapes". So I didn't get a big of a hit as you, but when I take a ton of it, I might start sweating and getting kinda nervous. But most of the time it's a cleaner high to me, and doesn't sneak up on me like a train!

If you've never done dabs, start small. Only one small hit, 0.05 grams should be more than enough for a first time.

Parties+dabs usually means larger-than-usual dabs.
First times with good, potent strains can be kind of rough even for pros.
They are, however, a better way to medicate.

TLDR: Didn't know what dabs were. Tried one at a party. Lost my mind for 4 hours and had an extremely challenging time. Came down. Ate a shitload of food. Still a bit fuzzy and traumatized 3 days later.

Some background. I'm in my early 40s. Been smoking off and on since I was 13 or so, though lately more off than on (smoke a bowl a couple times a month). Been through the psychedelic wringer more than once, though I don't usually indulge these days. Also note, I don't like being really high. I don't eat edibles because of this, and I rarely hit bongs. Too much cannabis makes me paranoid and terrible feeling. I can handle a few hits of LSD way better than I can handle a few bong rips of dank.

Was at a party this past weekend and some folks had an oil rig and were passing it around. Being an old fogey, I had heard of dabs but not really anything about them. I knew they were some kind of hash though, and I've smoked plenty of hash in my life so I figured WTF, I'll take only one hit off this thing and get moderately stoned. (NOTE: hash =//= BHO) Was already a bit drunk and I enjoy being stoned while drunk as the alcohol usually moderates the paranoia factor for me.
Fast forward 10 minutes and I'm straight tripping. Like seriously as high as I've ever been off of good edibles magnified by 10. Easily as disorienting as the come-up of a high dose mushroom trip, especially as I was expecting to get "a little stoned". At one point in the come up, I was blind for at least 5 minutes, everything just a blur of light and color.

Spent the next 4 hours out of my head. A few beautiful moments dancing and listening to music with full synesthesia and time warping, a few hilarious moments, but mostly a Very Bad No Good trip. Full on paranoia, dry heaving, moments of intense disorientation because I couldn't keep my eyes focused or open. The visual and auditory distortions were intense. Auditory was as intense as I've had on lots of MXE and visuals were not so much interesting hallucinations as disorienting blurs of lights and colors. At one point I was not only observing myself from behind myself but getting the full jittery framerate/strobing thing that I associate with dissociatives (and don't think I've ever experienced with cannabis). At another point I felt near-paralyzed and untethered from my body and I had dissolved into a sort of vibrating energy being.

All that would have been fine and maybe even fun and interesting (if I expected it) without the paranoia and panic from hell. Seriously felt like I was stuck in a slow motion panic attack for hours. Just kept pacing around in circles and telling people that I was too high and I couldn't deal. Tried all my tricks for grounding uncomfortable psychedelic states, but as I said, for whatever reason I'm bad with lots of weed. At one point I think I was just spinning a circle for 20 minutes repeating, "I can't deal with this" and almost in tears. At another point I was just hugging my knees and rocking back and forth trying to hang onto shreds of sanity. Really really threw me for a loop. Every time I felt like I had climbed on top of the fear and panic and was grounded again, I'd just get smashed by another wave of shaking and dry heaving and rapid heartrate and it would all start over again.

Anyways, I'm sure some people will tell me to suck it up, it's just weed, but IMHO BHO is as different from eating pot as eating pot is from smoking it, and is not getting stoned so much as having a fully psychedelic cannabis experience. Did not even imagine it was possible to have such a challenging experience with cannabis.
If you tend towards paranoia when really stoned, I would advise being careful with dabs no matter how experienced you are with other psychedelics. I've had more than my fair share of paranoid highs, but this was on another level.

I did have a rather hilarious come-down though. Not only was I a bit euphoric and relieved to not be so high anymore, I had munchies like I don't think I've had since I was a teenager getting blazed all the time. Ate like 2 bags of potato chips and a box of donuts and a bowl of cereal.

That sounds very interesting, and reminds me of high dose cannabis when eaten, or a high dose of LSD or mushrooms. How are you now?

BHO gets you really fuckin' high, for sure. I actually prefer to smoke some high-grade flowers, though...gives a more balanced high, while dabs results in a really intense "head high", with not much "body high" to accompany it. I hate couch lock weed but I like at least some body stone to go along with my high. For recreational marijuana users who just want to get as high as possible, though, there's nothing better than dabs.

When I first got my own dab rig I would get super lit like u said. Its a matter of tolerance. Eventually u reach of peak of getting as high as u want and still look sober. Try not to reach this point, it uses too much bud/wax

i have a superstition that if you are drunk and then get high , you will get higher than you would just smoking weed. and you might vomit...

ur trip report reminds me of the first time i got high, i had a whole joint at once lol, big mistake...

I've never tried wax/shatter/oil. I really want to though.
I've attempted making hash using acetone but I think it turned out to be a waste of bud in the end...

I dont know when people start using blow torchs and shit in front of me it aint the same.....aint nothing like a badass green hairy bowl or blunt...that shit might be potent and all but i dont get involved personally

Dabbing out of the rig will defiantly get the most out of your wax. And the bigger the dab the more intense the high is lol. I was at a friends house one time and we were all partying and having a good time, another friend of mine took a dab the size of a quarter and passed out in our friends closet all weekend (this was on a friday). I'm not 100% sure about this but they say wax is around 90% THC so if you have a pretty low tolerance you're gonna get stoned off your ass. As for the paranoia I've experienced that plenty times off of taking dabs. I only really get bad paranoia from cannabis when I'm super stoned and like I said before wax can get you SUPER stoned. If you ever think about taking a dab again it doesn't take much at all to get baked from one little dab. Like they say, a dab will do ya!

when people start using blow torchs and shit in front of me it aint the same.....

8) would you prefer the e-nail? lol dabs are awesome dont let the torch intimidate you :)

& op didnt anyone ever teach you not to underestimate any substance? if you dont respect it you deserve to be knocked on your ass

I iike badass bitches that smoke (dabs, wazz n shatter) I LOVE EM ALL!!!!!

I prefer smoking a bowl or blunt but thats just me.....dabs arnt bad they just arnt my thing to do everyday....

I FUCKING LOVE DABS MAN!!!!!!! I learned the hard way, stay the fuck home if it's your 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or even 4th time. I got really shit faced, went to my best friends house to smoke some dabs (this was my 3rd time). I took 3 big rips, I also had bars, alcohol and oxy in my system. Long story short, he lived maybe 15 minutes away from me and I've been to his place several of times. Well I was completely lost, drove in circles for I don't know how long. A cop pulled me over and I had my bars in a baggy instead of my script bottle so I ended up eating 46 bars. I woke up in the drunk tank, apparently I was asleep in the fetal position for 3 1/2 days. My bond was posted right when I was booked, but they wouldn't let me leave since I couldn't even walk or talk. This was a couple years ago. I rarely drink too, if I didn't do that n just listened to his girlfriend and his girlfriends friends just to stay the night there none of that shit would of happened!

Stay Real
DC

Dabs aren't more intense than edibles. You're probably just used to weak edibles.