• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

dab burst into flame?

Mafioso

Bluelight Crew
so I have some really high grade nug run concentrate made from a professional extractor. most of it is practaclcally clear and smokes amazing. I heated my nail and went to take a dab as normal and all of a sudden the dab exploded in a flame about 6028 inches tall! This was the second time happenening with this batch, going to talk to him tmoroow.

any ideas? posssible causes?

my guess: a ridiculous amount of solvent is left in the extract.

do you know how this material was extracted? butane? dimethylether? superfluid CO2 wouldn't do this of course.

Terpenes are highly flammable. If you burn a piece of rosin with a lighter it'll go up in a flame quick, just like BHO does. People think lighting BHO on fire is a good indicator of how clean their hash is but that's completely false. Terpenes are solvents too and even though they're naturally occuring in the plant they're still just as flammable. They're strong enough that people use them for extracting too - LHO uses limonene as a solvent which is naturally found in oranges and what makes tangie/cali-o/ all the other "orange" cultivars have that unique flavor and smell.

If it wasn't shooting fireworks off the nail I doubt it's any residual solvent, especially if it's some bomb oil like you're saying. Maybe the nail was just a little too hot or something and you were pulling air over it really giving it the chance to ignite. Hard to say though

Edit: Just saw how you said this happened twice - that's pretty crazy then if you got a good feel for your nail. I really have no idea tbh that's kinda crazy

Last edited:
EyT9zU9.png

I hate it when that happens

Nothing exactly like this has occurred to me but similar things have happened.

Situation #1: When using a torch and I take too low of a temperature dab, the dab puddles causing the nail to go up in flames the next time that I use the torch until all the remaining oil has burned off.

Situation #2: When a nail gets extremely dirty after several months of use and no cleaning, I have seen red embers form inside the nail bed from residue while heating it and remain while taking a dab. These small embers could potentially be causing combustion of your dab creating a similar situation to situation #1.

The only other possibility I see has already been mentioned; unpurged BHO.