View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

!!D-limonene mescaline extract HELP!!

dextrodoctor

Bluelighter
Hello all I have a quick question for all yall chemists out there if I used 69rons dlimo extraction to produce mescaline acetate could I simply wash the acetate in everclear to increase its purity/remove acidity from the d-limo and vineger left in the mescaline? How would the everclear affect the acetate?

The acetate would very likely be soluble in everclear (ethanol) just like it is in IPA, but not soluble in d-limonene.

The d-limonene left should be very minimal anyway since separating the vinegar phase from the d-limonene would pretty much get rid of the immiscible d-limonene. If you are concerned there is still d-limonene in there (smelling or seeing a significant amount) it would likely be because your separation of those phases was too liberal and you allowed d-limonene to come along to salvage product. Probably not a good idea, I would make sure to get rid of the d-limonene, that will cost you a little yield but it's no good trying to purify it away later in some simple way.

So: I absolutely don't think ethanol works well because it is miscible with vinegar AND d-limonene, dissolves your mesc acetate (does not affect it per se)... so it achieves nothing.

If you instead dissolve your product in water (not sure it is necessary to use distilled water - normally I use it on principle, but salts dissolved in tap water shouldn't hurt to separate - sometimes salts - a la brine - can even clear up extraction phases because they facilitate dissolution of some compounds rather than them being only half-dissolved and sludgy.), the limonene becomes separate from your watery solution because it does not mix with the water. Basically you revert to your earlier step before separating the vinegar from the d-limonene giving you a do-over. Only without having to add even more vinegar which you would then have to get rid of again. This time just make sure drops of limonene are gone and it should be ok.

Having to get rid of the vinegar (acetic acid) seems pretty annoying to me, though I have no experience with food dehydrators like in the tek - it might very well be fine to just help up evaporating the decently volatile acetic acid. Don't know if you can just as well heat your solution up a bit with a fan wafting a very slight draft over it.. don't know how you managed with the vinegar in the first place.

Apparently the big plus of this tek is it involving benign compounds, but a drawback is that it may be extra annoying to clean up the last impurities.

What is the current condition / appearance of your product?

I have experience using this tek and have got decent yields but its that annoying waxy acetate tar. I can try to be super careful during the process and whatnot and I usually receive amber tar. I was wondering how washing that amber tar received after dehydrating the vinegar in everclear would affect it? Would it clean the color to be closer to tan or white and remove some of the extra alkaloids from the cactus that aren't mescaline? I have the d-limonene tek pretty much down just was seeing what would be the easiest way to further purify the compound to mescaline.

So after doing further research it seems like I need to do the HCl extraction it seems closer to what Im trying to do so i guess my question is can I substitute the acetone on the HCl d-limonene extraction with ever clear?