• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

d aspartic acid and NMDA receptors

Innerpeace

Bluelighter
D-aspartic acid (D-AA) is an amino acid regulator of testosterone synthesis and may act on a stimulatory receptor (NMDA). I dont think its a may,I think it does.

Dissociatives work on this same NMDA receptor. wondering if taking a dissociative while taking or just discontinuing Daa would have any effects?

Yes DAA can transiently increase testosterone output via StAR (Stimulating steroidogonic Acute Regulatory Protein) in the testes, though that doesn't seem to last more than about a week in normal men.

In men with hypogonadism it can potentially stimulate a longer-term increase in test via increases in LH and FSH, as well as boosting GH and prolactin release through largely NMDA actions on the pituitary and hypothalamus, if I remember correctly. Though most of these studies were done on rats, so bear that caveat in mind.

Anyway I'm assuming you're taking DAA for these potentially beneficial effects, and concerned it may reduce the antagonistic effect of dissociatives?

My intuition tells me that this might depend on which type of dissociative you plan to use and how it blocks the binding site. However I'll move this over to NPD as the guys there will probably have a much better idea than us meatheads...

Y

Anyway I'm assuming you're taking DAA for these potentially beneficial effects, and concerned it may reduce the antagonistic effect of dissociatives?

My intuition tells me that this might depend on which type of dissociative you plan to use and how it blocks the binding site.

on trt and use it to help restore ball size, as it works great for this. just wondering if its safe and will cause crazy side effects oir anything. since both somehow work on the NMDA receptor. how about something like mxp

on trt and use it to help restore ball size, as it works great for this. just wondering if its safe and will cause crazy side effects oir anything. since both somehow work on the NMDA receptor. how about something like mxp

Ah right, no I don't think you'll experience any crazy side effects. DAA may marginally reduce the intensity of the MXP depending on how much you take, but I honestly doubt you'll notice it.

Regarding TRT, bear in mind that DAA potentially upregulates aromatase activity, so be vigilant for any oestrogenic side-effects like water retention, fat gain or gynecomastia.

If you want to read a bit more about DAA, I recommend >>this<< article for a decent overview.

thanks. yeah i took it for eleven months straight without a break back in 2011-2012 before i was on trt. It really helps restore ball size, even just two weeks here and there on cycle.

why do you think it would reduce intensity of mxp and not increase it?

as you can see in the article one of the main things are for fertility as it is still as far as I know a fertility drug in italy.

I would expect aspartic acid (a natural amino acid) to not have much of an effect at all: indeed it has no major effect on people with normal testosterone levels.

Amino acids you eat don't generally make it to the brain in large amounts, either, so dissociatives should be fine to take.

I don't think aspartate is expected to very significantly affect activity of dissociatives because it is very similar to the main ligands for NMDAr like glutamate, and dissociatives are typically non-competitive and allosteric antagonists. By definition allosteric non-competitive antagonistic action is not stopped by agonists.
Furthermore, AMPAkines like racetams are indeed known to stop the effects of dissociative drugs - mainly sharing positive allosteric modulation on AMPAr. There appears to be special relationship between the AMPA and NMDA system, unsurprisingly perhaps as they belong to the glutamatergic system. D-aspartate blocks AMPA receptors though, so rather the opposite of what some nootropics do if anything. Though this is assuming that we know how the interaction between dissociatives and nootropics is exactly mediated.
What I do wonder though, is whether aspartate potentiates the glutamatergic rebound after dissociative activity from the increased presynaptic levels of glutamate as a reaction to NMDA antagonists... which wouldn't be so great.

I suspect that such a small, polar compound (without active transport) won't make it through the BBB. Usually amino acids, even D-isomers, are mostly in vitro tools, not drugs.

See also: D-phenylalanine is supposed to inhibit enkephalinase according to binding assays, and yet it's an awful analgesic in man.

Yes DAA can transiently increase testosterone output via StAR (Stimulating steroidogonic Acute Regulatory Protein) in the testes, though that doesn't seem to last more than about a week in normal men.

In men with hypogonadism it can potentially stimulate a longer-term increase in test via increases in LH and FSH, as well as boosting GH and prolactin release through largely NMDA actions on the pituitary and hypothalamus, if I remember correctly

So you would not expect hypogonadism from NMDA antagonist use from direct binding to the testes NMDAr (as DAA's beneficial effects in that particular arena are mediated via this StAR rather than NMDA?) but you may still expect adverse effects on anabolic hormones from pituitary/hypothalamus NMDAr blockade?

I see the NMDAr in the pre optic area (sexually dimorphic nucleus) are important http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/10859492/

And NMDA receptors also seem to be important for the neurons that innervate the pelvic floor-ish muscles but I wonder if NMDA is supplying some input to stimulate testosterone in the testes as well http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/12417681/

It appears the x- transport system is responsible for the uptake of aspartate, but is just about saturated at physiological concentrations so supplementing wouldn't make a huge difference?

Doesn't mean it's strictly unsfeasible by making something like N-niacinoyl aspartate similar to picamilon... though in this case possibly the extra acid function means there needs to be additional protection.

Anyway elevating GABA levels a little is one thing but with excitatory amino acids it may be very unhealthy.

Last edited:
If I am on test cyp 100mgs weekly for my trt can I take d-aspartic acid or would it have no value since I'm on test?

This is pointless -- exogenous agonists do not mimic endogenous NMDA-R transmission. NMDA-R signaling is phasic not tonic; the signaling is heavily spatially and temporally constrained and is controlled by Mg channel block and by the requirement for a glycine co-agonist. All an exogenous agonist is going to do is screw up normal neural function and potentially produce neurotoxicity. Luckily, most agonists cannot penetrate into the CNS.

Last edited:
What about voltage-sensitive antagonists that occupy the magnesium site. Such as memantine, nitromemantine.

Anyone know of other voltage-gated antagonists for NMDArs?

Ethyl N-acetyl-N-methyl-D-aspartate , is this interesting to try?

(Ethyl ester of D-aspartic acid, N-methylated and acetylated)

If I am on test cyp 100mgs weekly for my trt can I take d-aspartic acid or would it have no value since I'm on test?

im on 100 mgs every 5-7 days or so (trt) and my balls hang lower when using daa for about two weeks. Its also good for fertility as it raises sperm count

Wouldn't touch that NMDA derivative with a bargepole outside of the in-vitro context. NMDA is a potent agonist of NMDA receptors, not an antagonist. It will result in nothing good, most likely, assuming its either active itself or metabolized into an analog of NMDA that is, excitotoxicity, it'll be a convulsant and damage inflicted is likely to be severely enduring if not permanent. Don't fuck with that one nagelfar, don't even go there.

i have tried raw powder DAA, I think it helped a lot. Used it for 12 months straight at if I remember correctly 5grams a day in the morning. when I stopped taking it felt a bad drop in test. (maybe it was all in my mind but I highly doubt it) I would make love 5-8 times a day while on it and felt like had decent gains whole time. maybe a year long placebo effect?

Yes I realize this thread is over a year old. was bored and reading back a few pages OOPS!

Last edited: