• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids CWE extraction of codeine and a little concerned

mycarona

Greenlighter
Hey folks,

I decided to do a CWE extraction today with 32 8/500 co-codamol tablets. followed a tutorial online and used 200ml of warm water initially, threw the tablets in and stirred for 10 mins until everything was dissolved and a milky very white substance was left. This then went in the freezer for 40 mins, filtered in 2 jars with 2 coffee filters in each jar and the result is ever so slightly cloudy water but if you didn't know to be looking for any kind of cloudiness at all, it would be mistaken just for water.

After I downed 50ml of the resulting liquid, I became concerned as reading on here APAP solubility is much higher if you started with hot water and I had 16g in the water at the outset. Now there was a huge amount of apap sludge on the bottom of the jar but now I'm worried that there was a ton of APAP still in there, even though the water was almost clear. Can anyone ease my mind a bit?

Last edited:
1. Welcome to Bluelight, we don't use swim or my cat etc.
2. The maximum daily dosage is 3-4g so if you think you're under that dosage all should be fine,
But if you think you truly overdosed, go to the ER asap!!

First off we don't use 3rd person perspective here it will not save you in any way, not that people get arrested for using this site anyways. So please fix your post from my cat to I, me, or myself.

Second the resulting solution should ok to drink even though it has a higher level it should not be that bad it takes more than one time for there to be liver damage from too much apap.

Edit: lol thank you Klein, we posted the exact same info at the exact same time. Well done.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, you've put my mind at ease. I thought I was likely being overly paranoid but just wanted to make sure. I'm not sure in theory how much more soluble the APAP is at a higher water temp but going from figures I've seen quoted round here you're looking at around 2.8g of APAP in 200ml of cold water, which is safe enough although in future I'll be doing it right to get far less than that.

Hi. I apologise, it's super late at night here and im barely awake so my reply won't be super coherent.

Firstly, if you're ever worried about poisoning you should contact a poisons line or hospital. I personally think you're fine but I wouldnt take medical advice from a random on an Internet forum.

Secondly, cats don't generally use codeine or other drugs and im positive they don't know how to CWE ;)

Why did you use warm water? To increase the opiate solubility? I don't think its worth the small difference (especially with something as cheap as easily available as codeine) as it also means the APAP will dissolve more. How much liquid was left after the process? You said you consumed 50ml and started with 200ml....thinking back to my codeine days (and I went for a long long time without extracting and taking way too much, very stupid but I just didn't care enough, I was lucky but told my levels were way too high when I landed in detox) I didn't lose a massive amount of volume but I never measured, I was a very lazy CWE'er, so you've easily consumed less than half of the initial dose? The reasons I believe you are fine are :

- The water was a lot clearer meaning you've successfully removed at least some/the majority of, the APAP
- The 'sludge' would be not just APAP, but non water soluble fillers as well.
- You didn't consume the sludge therefore leaving more APAP behind.
- You started with 200ml and consumed 50ml - so even if you extracted NONE of the APAP, you're not over the very rough/conservative daily 'limit' of 4000mg anyway.

But still, if you're worried, of course seek help.

Lol, I started replying ages ago when there were no other replies, fell asleep, woke up and posted. Glad to see you changed it from your friends cat ;)

I honestly think it's fine - I didn't measure how much liquid I had left but not too far off from what I started with mark from the looks of it. I went with warm water because 2 different forums recommended doing it that way and it was only when I hit bluelight that it was a mistake but it was already done. I also realised that I'd made a 2nd mistake here when I saw That I should have used 2ml per pill, roughly, not the 200ml total volume of water I did use, hence allowing more APAP to get in. Moral of the story I won't be doing it wrong a second time and really have not enjoyed the last hour or so wondering how badly I screwed up. I am a bit calmer now and think it's fine.

Yep, less water is definitely better. But consuming even roughly 1/4 of what you started with is right on the 4g a day limit anuway, even if you had consumed all of the APAP so I wouldn't be concerned at all. I was taking a lot more than that daily until I decided to start being less stupid, I had some liver damage after doing this long term but im ok now. Just relax and remember why you took it in the first place :)

believe it or not I took it for back pain. Wrecked my back at the weekend and the old co-codamol is just no longer cutting it.

it takes more than one time for there to be liver damage from too much apap.

That's not really the case mate ...

I've seen people end up in a really shit state from too much paracetamol from a single dose....

It depends entirely on the amount consumed. As little as 5g in a single dose has proved fatal in those more predisposed to hepatic issues from APAP.

That's not really the case mate ...

I've seen people end up in a really shit state from too much paracetamol from a single dose....

It depends entirely on the amount consumed. As little as 5g in a single dose has proved fatal in those more predisposed to hepatic issues from APAP.

I was speaking strictly to the poster's situation. Obviously apap/paracetamol will do serious liver damage especially in individuals attempting to get high or people trying to kill themselves. Also in extended use. But if OP used warm water, he still filtered a very large amount of apap out of the final product. But thank you for making me clarify my statement so a beginner does not come in and think a single massive dose of apap is okay.

200mL water is way too much.

My usual recipe is this:

Hot or cold water doesn't matter.

- Take the desired amount of codeine/acetaminophen tablets
- Crush them thoroughly in a cup
- Ad 10mL of water using a syringe and make the solution homogeneous
- Stir
- Let the solution drip through a proper filter
- Ad 5mL of water to the residue that remains in the cup, homogenise, pour in the filter
- Ad another 5mL of water to the residue that remains in the cup, homogenise, pour in the filter
- Wait until there is no more liquid left in the filter
- Pour 5mL clean water through the filter

End product:
22mL of clear water with approximately 90% of the codeine and only 244mg acetaminophen. If it tastes VERY bitter similar to DXM then you know that the extraction was probably successful.

Using this method I can filter out up to 10 grams of acetaminophen without losing significant amounts of the codeine.

(ofcourse I do not want to encourage the use of opioids as it is addictive and it can be dangerous. I merely want to decrease the risk of acetaminophen toxicity. Do not overdose on codeine or take it in dangerous combinations with other depressants)

Last edited:
200mL water is way too much.

My usual recipe is this:

Hot or cold water doesn't matter.

- Take the desired amount of codeine/acetaminophen tablets
- Crush them thoroughly in a cup
- Ad 10mL of water using a syringe and make the solution homogeneous
- Stir
- Let the solution drip through a proper filter
- Ad 5mL of water to the residue that remains in the cup, homogenise, pour in the filter
- Ad another 5mL of water to the residue that remains in the cup, homogenise, pour in the filter
- Wait until there is no more liquid left in the filter
- Pour 5mL clean water through the filter

End product:
22mL of clear water with approximately 90% of the codeine and only 244mg acetaminophen. If it tastes VERY bitter similar to DXM then you know that the extraction was probably successful.

Using this method I can filter out up to 10 grams of acetaminophen without losing significant amounts of the codeine.

(ofcourse I do not want to encourage the use of opioids as it is addictive and it can be dangerous. I merely want to decrease the risk of acetaminophen toxicity. Do not overdose on codeine or take it in dangerous combinations with other depressants)

Its not recomended to use hot water. The solubility of APAP increases substantially if the water is hot. Its fine to dissolve in hot/warm water but the solution should be chilled BEFORE filtering.

Filtering a hot water solution dramatically increases the quantity of APAP in the final mixture ....

Well I never used hot water because it serves no purpose. Codeine solubility increases as the temperature drops.

But for the 22mL water it wouldn't even matter if it was hot because the concentration of acetaminophen stays within the therapeutic range of 0.5-1 gram. But it's just a useless thing to do.

That's true regarding solubity but using such a small amount of water as 22ml would be really efficient due to the amount of water lost to the filter paper and still stuck in the APAP & binder crap. Since the concentration of codeine in that amount of water is so high the loss of even a small amount of water means the loss of a lot of the codeine.

I'm positive this is already been covered, but the C in CWE, stands for COLD water extraction? Why one would decide to use warm water instead? Is merely beyond me, since it is defeating the entire purpose of the CWE, at least if the filtration was performed warm.... Honestly there is no reason to use anything but cold water the entire proceedure, it takes a minute or two tops...

That is why I first saturate the filter with plain water. And because I do 3 wash steps after the first extraction the loss decreases significantly.

Only 3mL stays in the filter/acetaminophen residue and I do one last wash step with 5mL plain water.

It must take a long time to drain sufficiently to only leave 3ml in the residue....do you leave it overnight? Also do you use lab or coffee filter papers?

This is done to increase yield, expecially with some pills that have a strong binder.
Then you cool the solution , the apap solubility drops and it falls down out of solution.

Codeine tablets do not have strong binders though... The things practically fall apart just when you look at them... 3mL of water eh? That's quite a lot of work just for codeine...

$0.02