Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Current Drug Studies Happening in Australia

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
Hi,

As some of you may or may not know, Tronica, moderator of the Drug Studies Forum, is continuously hosting studies within that forum; some of which participate in the funding of Bluelight's Hosting Cost! At the time being there are 3 studies pertinent to Australia and we'd all love for your participation in them.

The links can be found in the Header of the Parent Forum Page of AusDD as well as the links in the Drug Studies Forum.

currentstudies.jpg

Click here to be directed to the Drug Studies Forum

Thanks for the plug :) Come on over to Drug Studies, folks!

There's currently a study on the go for people who inject drugs who reside in Australia. It's an online survey and there is a prize draw for an ipod touch for people interested in that (you can opt in or out of the raffle if you prefer not to provide personal details).

See http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?t=573919

I have just posted information about a study on opiate dependence, now recruiting in the Melbourne area, in the drug studies forum. Please check it out if you're interested.

I have been granted permission to participate in the over 40 crowd drug research, even though I am an ugly american. The study rewards my participation with a $40 gift certificate... good in Australia only.

I don't care, I just want to take part in the survey. But they have generously offered to give my compensation gift certificate to a friend in Australia if I have one.

I'll need your mailing address to include at the end of my survey. If you want to be my friend for this, hit me up quick.

thanks.

Hi guys! Just thought I'd post a link to this study if anyone's interested. These studies are a good way to give something back to the community and contribute to scientific research :)

Annual ecstasy user study, now recruiting across Australia!

The EDRS FAQ for participants can be found here

Researchers at the National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre would like to invite people who use ecstasy to participate in a one-hour CONFIDENTIAL and ANONYMOUS interview for the Ecstasy and Related Drugs Reporting System (EDRS). Participants are reimbursed $40 for their time and expenses. Contact the study coordinator in your state.

Queensland NSP survey

The Queensland Needle and Syringe Program is running a survey throughout May 2012 to see how we're doing, what problems clients may be having, and what areas we need to improve.

This survey is open to people aged 18 or over who have injected drugs in the last 12 months and currently live in Queensland.

The survey is anonymous and contains questions about use of Needle and Syringe Programs, Pharmacies and other sources of injecting equipment along with demographic and drug use questions. This data will be used to improve the services in the future.The survey is conducted by the Queensland Drug and Alcohol Research and Education Centre (QADREC) at the University of Queensland.

The survey takes about 10-15 minutes to complete. http://www.uq.edu.au/qadrec/nspsurvey

No money but participants will go into the draw for a chance to win one of three iPads.

(I work for the QLD Needle and Syringe Program Management Unit)

Looking for donations of pee to understand the metabolism of research chemicals

Hi all

I’m a researcher at the University of Tasmania, Australia. In collaboration with people at the University of Queensland (Phong Thai, Wayne Hall, Coral Gartner, Foon Yin Lai & Jochen Mueller), we’re looking for people to contribute to a study aiming to understand the metabolism of ‘research chemicals’. By ‘research chemicals’ we’re referring to any of the new substances on the market, like MDPV, 4-FMC, and methoxetamine, among others.

We know very little about how this broad range drugs affect the body, because they have not undergone any of the traditional tests that you would see in the development of medications for human consumption. One of the key processes to understand is the way that these drugs are metabolised by the body: usually after consumption, drugs will be transformed inside the body and eliminated (excreted), mainly through urine. Understanding how the drug is metabolised is important for many reasons: it can be used to help develop methods to determine what drug a person has consumed by analyzing the chemicals that are excreted in urine or present in blood samples. This has clinical applications such as determining what drugs have been consumed in the event of an adverse reaction. Another particularly important reason is that the metabolites may potentially also be active in the body and have the potential to cause health harms directly or by interacting with other drugs or medications.

We’re looking for people to help us work this out by providing a urine sample after they’ve taken any of these new substances. This can all be done through the post and your confidentiality can be maintained. Sampling containers and reply paid envelopes can be mailed out to you, and there is a very short survey (probably taking 2 minutes or so to do) to complete to describe the drug taken and some general health information. This can be done online, and is submitted separately from the sample.

To find out more about the study and the steps we’ve put in place to maintain confidentiality, please see the following: https://surveys.psychol.utas.edu.au/index.php?sid=46955&lang=en

The study began in April, 2012, and will be open for several months at least. The study has received ethical approval from the University of Queensland Medical Research Ethics Committee, Project 2011001399.

If you have any questions, you can contact me at [email protected] . If you have specific technical questions about the analytical chemistry, Phong Thai ([email protected] ) is the person in charge of the actual fun part of doing the analyses.

Thanks for your time in reading this!

Raimondo Bruno

Would you like to help with Hepatitis C research?

Below is a study that I am about to begin participating in. Unfortunately, unlike the blood test that I had on 01/06/11 which was negative for HIV & Hep C, the blood taken a year later on 06/06/12 came back with a positive result for HCV antibodies. :(

I found this study in 'User's News Issue No. 69 - Winter 2012', published by NUAA (NSW Users & Aids Association Inc). As far as I know, most (if not all) needle exchanges in New South Wales have it on hand and give it away for free. You can read previous issues online in the User's News section on the NUAA website.

The study is a national study to find the best treatment strategy for people with recently acquired Hepatitis C infection. The study is taking place at a few different hospitals around Sydney; Nepean Hospital, Royal Price Alfred Hospital and St. Vincent's Hospital. I'm pretty sure that the study might also be available in Melbourne, Adelaide and Brisbane. Here is a link to the PDF containing the information as per the advertisement in User's News:

http://www.med.unsw.edu.au/NCHECRweb.nsf/resources/Vstudies_4/$file/ATAHC+II_advertisement_version+2_28-4-2011_clean.pdf

HAVE YOU BEEN INFECTED WITH HEP C IN THE LAST 2 YEARS?

The Australian Trial in Acute Hepatitis C (ATAHC II) is a research study in people with recently acquired Hep C and is seeking volunteers to take part.

The study is examining individualized treatment for people with recent HCV, however you can also take part and help even if you don't want treatment.

To take part in this study you must be aged 16 years or more AND have acquired Hep C in the last 2 years.

Note: current or recent drug use does not exclude you from taking part in the study.

INTERESTED
Contact Barbara Yeung at The Kirby Institute
Phone: (02) 9385 0879 Email: [email protected]

I'll quote the first page of the booklet that they sent out to me detailing the study quite a bit more:

WHAT IS ATAHC II?

ATAHC II is an Australian study following and treating people who have recently acquired hepatitis C virus (HCV) infection. The study is run by a team of doctors, nurses and researches who are experieneced in working with people with or at risk of HCV infection.

To take part in this study, you must have been recently infected with Hep C.

This means that:

• You have had your first positive antibody test for hep C or first positive hepatitis C virus test within the last 6 months
  • And before receiving that test had a anegative antibody test for hep C within the last 2 years
  • Or have had acute hepatitis symptoms (jaundice - yellow eyes and skin and raised liver function tests) within the last 12 months

The study plans to:
  • enrol and follow up a group of patients with recently acquired HCV to learn more about the disease and outcomes.
  • identify the best treatment strategy for patients with recently acquired HCV infection.
  • find ouf how common it is to be infected with more than one strain of the virus at a time.
  • find out how common it is to be infected with a strain of virus that is resistant to the new types of drugs that are being developed to treat HCV.
  • find out whether specific genes exist that may influence how an individual's immune system reacts to hepatitis C, either with or without treatment.
  • examine how common reinfection with hepatitis C is after either natural clearance or successful treatment.

There are also other aims of the study which will be explained to you by the study doctor.

If your doctor thinks you are suitable you will be offered treatment with pegylated interferon with or without ribavirin, depending on your HIV status and how long you have been infected with Hep C for. The length of treatment will be determined by your genotype and your response to treatment and will range from 8 weeks to 48 weeks. You do not have to receive treatment to participate in this study. You will find out more information on treatment in the following sections.

Cannabis growers questionnaire - Australians wanted!

Hi Australian Bluelighters

Have you ever grown cannabis? We are conducting a survey of cannabis growers as part of an international collaboration and we'd love it if you could spare 15 minutes of your time to complete our anonymous online survey.

I want to thank the Oz Stoners moderating group for working with me to pilot the questionnaire. The survey is much improved thanks to the input of the moderating team.

Survey link: http://ndri.curtin.edu.au/research/grow/

And here is the participant information:

Monica Barratt and Simon Lenton invite you to participate in a study on small-scale cannabis cultivation, conducted by the National Drug Research Institute (NDRI) at Curtin University. This study is part of an international collaboration researching cannabis cultivation across Europe, North America and Australasia called the Global Cannabis Cultivation Research Consortium.

The general community typically has unrealistic views about people who grow cannabis. We want you to help set the record straight by completing this anonymous questionnaire.

To participate in this research project, you must:
  • have grown cannabis at least once,
  • be living in Australia, and
  • be at least 18 years old.
Participation involves the completion of an online questionnaire that asks about your experiences with growing cannabis, as well as your reasons for growing cannabis, your personal use of cannabis and other drugs, your views on alternative cannabis growing policies, your drug market participation, your experiences with cannabis laws, your participation in other illegal activities and standard demographic information.

The questionnaire contains 43 questions and typically takes 15-20 minutes to complete. We recommend you complete the survey in one sitting as the session is set to expire after 4 hours.

After the project is complete, we will post a summary of the results here. You can also follow the progress of the international project and ask us questions through our Twitter account.

Your participation is completely voluntary. Once eligibility has been confirmed, you are free to skip any question or choose 'I don't want to answer'. You can withdraw from the study at any time by simply closing your browser. Consent will be assumed upon the submission of data from the questionnaire. After this point it will be impossible to identify your results therefore making it impossible to remove them from the data pool.

The information gathered is strictly confidential. The data will be stored securely at Curtin University for at least 7 years. No identifying information will be collected that could be used to match you to your questionnaire results. IP addresses will not be logged and cookies are not used. For added protection, you are welcome to use an anonymising service (e.g. Tor).

We will present results from this study at conferences and in academic papers. Quantitative data will only be presented in aggregate form. There will be no way to identify individual responses from results presented. Your participation will remain anonymous. Any unsolicited identifying information that you may inadvertently provide in text boxes, such as names of individuals, groups, places or events, will be removed from the data by us in order to maintain your anonymity.

No external funding was sought for this project.

Discussion and feedback are welcome - I'd love to hear what you think of the project. Any feedback will help us to interpret the data and to design better questionnaires next time.

Ecstasy/MDMA use, Sleep, Mood and Cognition Study. Melbourne, Australia

I am Vanessa Smithies, a Doctor of Psychology (Clinical Neuropsychology) candidate from the School of Psychology and Psychiatry at Monash University, Australia.

I am looking for people aged 18 – 40 to participate in a study that aims to examine differences in memory, sleep, and mood among people who use recreational drugs and those who do not. Recruitment will be conducted from June 2012 – June 2013.

Where: Melbourne, Australia. Monash University, Clayton or Caulfield campus

Time: Main session (approx.1.5 hours), follow up session 12 hours later (approx. 45 mins)

Incentive: You will be provided with a $40 Coles-Myer voucher for your participation

What: You will be asked to complete some questionnaires and thinking skill tasks. You will be asked to wear a wireless headband during sleep for a week prior to the study

Who: Ecstasy/MDMA users and non-drug using controls aged 18 – 40 with no history of neurological or psychiatric illness, no history of major head injury, and no current sleep disorder diagnosis. Night shift workers and people with irregular sleep/wake schedule are also not eligible to participate

If you would like to participate, or you would like more information, please contact me via PM, or visit the study facebook page.

(This study has approval from the Monash University Human Research Ethics Committee – Project Number CF12/0073 - 2012000014)

Youth Drug Policy Survey (16-25 yrs)

Got ideas about alcohol and other drug issues? What do you think should be done?

If you are aged 16 to 25 years and live in Australia, we want to know what YOU think!

We are doing this survey for the Australian National Council on Drugs (ANCD) - the Council appointed by the Prime Minister to give advice to to government on drug and alcohol issues.

The survey takes about 15 minutes to complete. What you say is completely confidential.

You do not have to have tried drugs to participate.

Complete the survey and you could go in the draw to WIN one of 2 NEW iPads!

Link to survey: http://www.surveys.unsw.edu.au/survey/156777/136a/

Long version:
You are invited to participate in a study to find out what young people think about responses to alcohol and other drug use in Australia. We want to learn more about young people’s opinions and ideas about policies and initiatives/programs aimed at reducing the harms caused by alcohol and other drugs. You were selected as a possible participant in this study because you are aged 16 to 25 years and live in Australia.

Our team (the Drug Policy Modelling Program (DPMP) at UNSW in collaboration with the Youth Support and Advocacy Service (YSAS) are doing this survey for the Australian National Council on Drugs (ANCD). This is the Council appointed by the Prime Minister to give advice to government on drug and alcohol issues. We hope young people will benefit because the survey results could be given to government, and they will then have a better idea of what young Australians think about alcohol and other drugs and what should be done about them. We cannot and do not guarantee or promise that you will receive any benefits from this study.

If you would like to participate, after reading this page you will move onto an online survey, which will take you 15 to 20 minutes. By clicking ‘I accept’ below, you are agreeing that we can use the answers you provide in the survey.

Any information that you provide to us and that can be identified with you will remain confidential and will be disclosed only with your permission, except as required by law. We plan to discuss the results with colleagues and disseminate the results through publication in scientific journals, conference and seminar presentations, on the DPMP/NDARC (UNSW) websites, and through the ANCD including via websites, publications, forums and meetings. All data from the survey will be de-identified (so that what you say will remain private and anonymous) prior to analysis and publication.

If you would like to receive a summary of the final results, you may provide your email address at the end of the survey and we will email you a two-page summary of the results.You may also provide your email address or mobile number at the end of the survey if you would like to go in the prize draw to win one of 2 new iPads.

Your decision whether or not to participate will not affect your future relations with the University of New South Wales, the ANCD, YSAS or any affiliated services. If you decide to participate, you are free to withdraw your consent and to discontinue participation at any time, prior to submitting the completed survey.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask us. If you have any additional questions later, Francis Matthew-Simmons at DPMP (phone 02 9385 0188; email [email protected]) will be happy to answer them. Complaints may be directed to the Ethics Secretariat, The University of New South Wales, SYDNEY 2052 AUSTRALIA (phone 9385 4234, fax 9385 6648, email [email protected]). Any complaint you make will be investigated promptly and you will be informed out the outcome.