• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Curious About Humbling IV Methamphetamine Experience

Asdadream

Greenlighter
So my lovely kitten Cupcake has done methamphetamine here and there without any dependence issues, only her body telling her it needs sleep and food, etc. She has had IV'd once before but didn't get the full-on effects she did recently. On her birthday I had a friend of hers surprise her with a quarter gram dose. She was slightly anxious about the dose but decided to accept the gift and be prepared for whatever was to happen the following 3-4 days. She was expecting to be cracked out, panicky, or at the very least, have a racing heart or some kind of anxiety. The dose and RoA together have not only opened her eyes to an entirely new side to this drug, but have her yearning for understanding some of her experience even more so than yearning to repeat the experience. So here it goes, a quick rundown of what she experienced, I'll just keep to the aspects that I don't fully understand:

So nearly immediately the first effect she had during the "rush" was a sensation that she had did a shot of vodka. I am guessing that there is an enzyme in your bloodstream that rapidly metabolizes something in the meth to generate this feeling. This effect is not isolated to Cupcake, as her friends colloquially refer to this as "Fire breath" or "Dragon breath". It's not all unpleasant, though it seems as if Cupcake's friends are a little more acutely anxious when this happens. The next thing that happened was that Cupcake felt a sense of transcendent peace wash over her, accompanied by a narrowing of her visual field. It was also accompanied by tracers that sustained for some time, and were not very far at all from the tracers you get from LSD, etc. This effect lasted perhaps 30 minutes. The next observation was that the peace subsided into a more familiar amphetamine-like sense of contentment/confidence, focus, and energy. Upon experiencing this, Cupcake seems to have "gushed" a little despite an absence of arousal or even a single sexual thought. Lastly, the day after the crash, Cupcake notices less negative side effects that usually come with other RoA. Jaw grinding, sores, skin irritation, nasty mouth/teeth, lethargy, and irritability/anxiety were significantly reduced, if not entirely absent.

So my questions are:
1. Why do you get the "Fire Breath", what makes that happen?
2. What's responsible for the LSD-like tracers and sense of peace, is this something to do with serotonin?
3. Cupcake is not a significantly sexually-oriented individual, yet she has a "physiological orgasm" pretty much automatically without a sexual thought whatsoever. Why does this happen? She's only had it happen with IV.
4. Why does IVing cause significantly less negative side-effects than other RoA? I don't think all IV users have the same opinion, as Cupcake has heard and seen others feel worse from IV than other RoA.

For about 3 days after Cupcakes experience, she was almost convinced that the substance could not have been entirely MA, if there was anything else in the substance, what might it have been based on the effects? At first Cupcake suspected MDPV or some kind of Phenethylamine to account for tracers. The other possibility that was considered was that those specific effects were possibly due to an NDE from a near OD, and Cupcake literally was very prepared for that little endogenous release of spirit molecules? I am wondering what is caused due to Cupcake's own body/brain chemistry, what effects are attributed to RoA, and what might actually be something to do with the substance itself! Cupcake wants to know!

yes the visual phenomena as well as warm breath effect are both very real effects. I used to experience this often when I would shoot methamphetamine.

I haven't done the drug in a long time, however

Not really neuro-science section thread material, subjective experience; regardless of what causes it, usually is not.

With IV use it causes a very rapid and enormous dopamine release, which in turn probably inhibits norepinephrine before metabolism begins and NE levels increase. Abolished side effects could be due to either higher DA:NE ratio (causing less anxiety etc. during the experience) and/or NE depletion after the comedown.

As meth does release some serotonin, this could of course attribute to the experience. Regarding the inner peace, at least for me (with diagnosed ADD) dopamine increase often calms me and feels anxiolytic, peaceful and positive with lack of dopamine causing the opposite (very real on antipsychotics).

Fire breath <-- could you explain this further? The feeling of hot air in the lungs? Then it could be sudden vasoconstriction..or dilation, adrenaline tends to increase blood and oxygen flow in the lungs if I remember it correctly (would make sense of course).

Last edited:
The fumes that present in your throat after a good sized shot are a combination of the excess amounts of harmful chemicals you just injected that the body doesn't know what to do with, and the rush of blood to all the extremities of your body from the amphetamines. Well that's what my father says happens and he's a cardiovascular surgeon. You experience the same thing on a smaller scale when they put contrast dye in you for a CT scan and you get that metallic taste when it hits your heart. I shot meth for 8yrs and I have had some instances of the cough or the fumes where I thought I was gonna die. Yet after a while if I didn't get that fume rush I would be pissed off and think it was a crap shot.
The LSD like tracers you talk of are highly likely to be the tiny veins at the rear of your eyes being violently constricted and overfilled by the foreign matter because depending on where you inject, and how you prepared the shot can really play nasty with the delicate infrastructure that is back there. I have severe damage to both eyes from IV use and it was all the crap that was mixed in that did it, not the meth.
I dunno about the other q's but once someone becomes comfortable injecting their drugs they tend to lose their grasp on their own reality and tend to find a way to justify anything.
Note that I did not say "everyone" then, as some people continue for decades with total control of their habits and their lives. Unfortunately that is not often the case.

250mg is a huge IV shot for someone who uses meth sporadically.. I can't explain this to people who smoke/snort meth.. but .. IV'n even 100mg of meth with little tolerance is an insanely intense experience.. IVn 250mg with little tolerance.. I've never heard of that being pleasant.