View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Ethnobotanicals Cubensis induced headache—seared cerebellum

Keeloverandfly

Bluelighter
The last two times I have taken cubensis at 3-3.5 gram doses, the end of my trip dovetailed with a massive headache, lasting over a day and pretty resistant to Tylenol. I don’t really ever get headaches, so I couldn’t say if it is a migraine for lack of basis of comparison, but they were accompanied by nausea and sensitivity to sound/light, etc.

I have taken plenty of shrooms in the past without accompanying headaches, and my past doses were 1.5-3.5 grams cubensis in the oughts, and occasional unknown quantities of liberty caps between 2010-2018. The only trips followed by headaches were my most recent two, which happened with a two year interval between them, so it doesn’t seem like a fluke or a phase. I have taken several tryptamines, a fair amount of acid (maybe 15 trips?) and a bit of mdma in the two years between these two mushroom trips, with no headache or other noticeable adverse effects, so it seems to be related to mushrooms…

Any advice on how to tame these headaches? Any ideas on what could cause be the cause (other than… mushrooms)? I love mushrooms, but will probably stop taking them if the price to pay for them is 24+ hours of misery. Plus there are so many other nice psychedelics so I am not too worried. But if it’s an easy fix…

Same batch and/or coming from the same grower supplier? My first thought is contaminated mushrooms.

-GC

The last two times I have taken cubensis at 3-3.5 gram doses, the end of my trip dovetailed with a massive headache, lasting over a day and pretty resistant to Tylenol. I don’t really ever get headaches, so I couldn’t say if it is a migraine for lack of basis of comparison, but they were accompanied by nausea and sensitivity to sound/light, etc.

I have taken plenty of shrooms in the past without accompanying headaches, and my past doses were 1.5-3.5 grams cubensis in the oughts, and occasional unknown quantities of liberty caps between 2010-2018. The only trips followed by headaches were my most recent two, which happened with a two year interval between them, so it doesn’t seem like a fluke or a phase. I have taken several tryptamines, a fair amount of acid (maybe 15 trips?) and a bit of mdma in the two years between these two mushroom trips, with no headache or other noticeable adverse effects, so it seems to be related to mushrooms…

Any advice on how to tame these headaches? Any ideas on what could cause be the cause (other than… mushrooms)? I love mushrooms, but will probably stop taking them if the price to pay for them is 24+ hours of misery. Plus there are so many other nice psychedelics so I am not too worried. But if it’s an easy fix…
Are buy your shrooms or cultivate your own?If mushrooms are not dry and stored properly they could be pretty dangerous.Talking about aflatoxins,which destroyed your liver and even lungs,if they are inhaled somehow.Good to have microscope and check your shrooms very carefully before ingested.Sometime poisoning is coming with headaches....just like hangovers from drugs or alcohol.

Thanks you for the feedback!

Each time was with a different grower/batch, both times dried by the grower, one time it was a “professional” grow but that means nothing without regulation requiring testing on products.

I was fully unaware of possible contamination. However, the person I tripped with the second time had no headache, and the first time I tripped alone.

I’ll wait and see if anyone else relates to my experience, in case there is an easy fix that doesn’t require a microscope!

Yea it’s weird cuz typically mushrooms are known for curing migraines not causing them. The only psychedelic which occasionally gives me headaches is mescaline containing cacti, likely from the hordenine and tyramine related substances.

Maybe someone else has your experience though, I’m curious to see.

-GC

Yea it’s weird cuz typically mushrooms are known for curing migraines not causing them. The only psychedelic which occasionally gives me headaches is mescaline containing cacti, likely from the hordenine and tyramine related substances.

Maybe someone else has your experience though, I’m curious to see.

-GC
Yeah, it is ironic. But I am pretty sure people cute cluster headaches with smaller doses. I should try a lower dose, but then I wouldn’t be off my face, would I?

Do you get headaches every time with mescaline cacti? Edit: saw you said “occasionally”

Last edited:
Higher doses can work too, I also fight treatment resistant migraines with tryptamines sometimes. Usually DMT, but mushrooms sometimes as well.

Yea pretty rarely, maybe 3-4 times total but memorable cuz it really sucked to have a headache during an experience like that.

-GC

Oh your headaches are during… both headaches crept in around hour 6, as the effects waned.

I haven’t had any body load problems or post trip problems with my several recent 4sub tryptamine experiences, but I haven’t tried psilocin, which as I understand, is chemical shroom booms. Just gotta find me summa that. I will try lemon tekking next time to see if that helps.

Oh maybe it isn’t too uncommon. This study shows dose dependent headaches arriving at the end of trips and lasting for ~24 hours.

I had 2 blood panels done between the two most recent mushroom experiences, so I don’t think so. Perhaps it is dehydration, as I don’t feel compelled to drink water while tripping on any psychedelics, but then again I have tripped on so many others without incident. I should try mushrooms again in the next few months. I will hydrate well and report back.

I had 2 blood panels done between the two most recent mushroom experiences, so I don’t think so. Perhaps it is dehydration, as I don’t feel compelled to drink water while tripping on any psychedelics, but then again I have tripped on so many others without incident. I should try mushrooms again in the next few months. I will hydrate well and report back.
I have had a headache while tripping on acid, and it was not due to the LSD, but was from dehydration and being tired.