European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

Crohn's Disease

Treacle

Bluelighter
I've just found out that one of my best friends has this. She's going back to her home country of Sweden, so I don't know if I'll even see her, again. I've done some reading, and I'm hoping she's one of the lucky ones. She's got to change her whole lifestyle, and she was a proper drug monkey. She's stopped smoking, as that makes it worse. Does anyone have, or know someone who has, this horrible condition? I'd like to know what sort of life these people lead. I reckon a pill, whilst she's in remission, sounds alright. Crohn's does affect the entire GI tract, however, and MDMA can certainly make that whole area act weird.

I feel helpless, although, she is on morphine - so that's something. ;) She has a two year old daughter, she's very hippy-like, and would never hurt a fly. God doesn't exist.

I've met a few people on my travels who have it and whilst they have to be careful on what they eat and not get too carried away on the booze they live a fairly normal life. One guy I met did get a bit too carried away in South America a few times (too much ching and beer) and ended up in hospital but he was out in no time and on his travels again. I don't think it has to be the end of you having fun, just need to be more careful than someone who doesn't have it.

Yeah, I sensed that, from what I read. It can be mild or fucking awful, though. I'm just hoping it's not the latter.

A bird I worked with last year, her son had it too, and she seemed really worried about and was off work for weeks whilst he was in hospital. Seemed to be freaking out and scared to leave him alone in case something happened to him but not sure if she was being OTT or what.

I know 3 people that have this, oddly 2 of them are a couple and one of them didn't know they had it when they met, the other I worked with for sometime. I don't know a huge amount about it medically I guess you could look that bit up.

One of them had to have an operation to remove part of their intestine ( think that's what was removed ) she works and lives a relatively normal life but is supposed to be very careful what she eats. I have to say that person never seemed to be managing her condition very well. She ate a really poor diet and was very under weight, I think she was developing an eating disorder as food generally made her feel unwell.

The other couple seem to get on well, the bloke is build like a small brick building and does removal for a living, has a drink and you would have no idea he had a health problem at all, although every now and again he has a bad day and takes time off, she doesn't eat all that well but lives a relatively normal life.

Like quite a few conditions it seems a bit like diabetes in that it can be more or less severe in different people but the key seems to be management of the condition, eating the right things and generally keeping healthy.

I have a friend who's had it since he was in his teens, he's 38 now. It took them years to diagnose it, partly cos his GP was of the opinion, 'you're a heroin addict, surely you don't expect to feel well? They also put his weight down to addiction, 6'2" and less than 11st.

When he finally gave up heroin he was in so much pain he could bearly stand upright. He had to give up work (he worked for us for 10 years) and 2 years later they diagnosed Crohns. At this point he was on a HUGE amount of pain killers and was living on a diet of plain rice and chicken. He never left the house and was down to 8st.

About a month ago he had an operation to remove 18 strictures totalling a metre of intestine. He's got some fairly impressive scars. Luckily he didn't have to have a colostomy bag although he didn't know this when he went in. They kept him in for a week and a another week after that he went on holiday with his gf.

He's still on morphine atm but he says he's never felt so well and is looking forward to eating proper food again and getting off ALL drugs for the first time in 25 years!

He's wasted so much of his life :(

An old friend has this, he is in hospital all the time and has a colostomy bag:-(

Still gets on with his life though. Good years and bad years he has

ATM23 pretty well nailed it , it can vary from a slight irritation to having lengths of your small intestine removed and hospital visits. no cure for it but can be managed by diet - i wouldnt have thought drugs, in moderation, wouldnt have to detramental effect.

I'm not being funny Treacle but I think whether she can take MDMA or not will be the last thing on her mind right now.

I'm surprised no one mentioned me, the one, the only, MSB!

Nah, in all seriousness, I have very severe crohns disease. Mine went down a route that has made me quite the medical marvel for the doctors. It began fistulising, and the tracts look like spagetti junction down there, so they will probably never heal. They fill up and become giant abscesses, I think my record was a few huge syringe's worth. I was colostomied to give that part of the colon a rest, but it was all just one big trick because they knew full well it would likely never get reversed. I've been hospitalised at least 10-20 times with this now and i've only been diagnosed for about 5 years. I went undiagnosed and had stomach pain for years, and my wanker doctors kept saying it was IBS goodbye.

When it's not being treated well and i'm in flare my eyes feel very puffy, and I absorb less than 50% of what I eat. At one point I was eating at least 5000 calories a day and I dropped down to 11 stone. The doctors advise is to keep a buffer of extra weight ready for the next time I can't absorb anything, but I obviously don't want to do that. It's a bit confusing as to when I can and can't get away with eating certain foods. Your friend will probably spend most of their life being a lot tider and worn out than most people, and travel to certain countries will be off limits. I'd recommend she gets put straight on infliximab. In the UK they tend to hold it back because it is so expensive, instead prefering to give shitty drugs like azathioprine, 6-mp, and steroids (not the good ones). Also, look into LDN, that's what i'm on and it seems OK. O, and tell her that taking a good multivitimin and lots of fish oil is very helpful.

Any way, i'm guessing the main thing you want to know is how drugs will affect your friend. I can only really comment on my experiences with various substances, whether they carry across for anyone else I don't know. I've been meaning to put this write up out there for a while because there isn't much info out there for people with crohns at the minute:
-MDMA = Fine. Doesn't cause flares. If anything just leaves me feeling alright apart from the come down. If, however, i'm already in a flare it's pretty bad news. Make sure you're in good health if you're going to take ecstasy and you have crohn's, and it should treat you well. It is quite a mild amphetamine by all accounts. My come ups are totally unpredictable. Sometimes it can take me twice as long as everyone else, sometimes I can begin feeling it in 10-15 minutes and be fully up in under 30. Usually it lasts well beyond anyone else, I can be up up for upto an extra hour.
-Weed = Good. Makes me feel better, as long as I smoke it straight. If I stop smoking for ages, abscesses form more rapidly and I slide into flare. It's also good for keeping up appetite too (obviously). Smoke too much, and you get the obvious weed user symptoms of being a lazy bastard.
-Tobacco = Terrible. Probably responsible for a lot of the trouble i've had over the years. Since I quit that everything has gotten much better. Tell her to stop this immediately and it will pay off well.
-Nicotine Gum/replacements = Bad. Almost as bad as tobacco. Really really hurt my stomach. If your friend is going to quit then she should just put down the fags and do it. The anger will pass by day 5, and the strong cravings will be almost gone after 3-4 weeks, apart from the cravings that stay.
-Mushrooms = Poor absorbtion, can't really tell. Had the appropriate effect, but made me sick as a dog and hurt my stomach.
-Ketamine = Quite bad. Sometimes I can get away with bashing a little bit, most times it will put me into a flare for a day or two afterward, where I can't really eat while it gets better.
-Opiates = OK in moderation. Don't do too many or you'll get the normal constipation everyone gets, but worse. I once went almost 2 weeks without going to the toilet once. If you're flaring a little bit of opiates will give you a break from running to the bathroom constantly but it's a fine balance. Don't let the doctors get your friend hooked on tramadol either, because that's their first port of call with stronger pain killers. Also, tell her never EVER take NSAIDs (Ibruprofen, diclofenac etc.), they are instant flare territory.
-Benzos = Up and down, weird and unpredictable. They can result in my stomach feeling like shit the day after, they can result in me waking up and doing the biggest dump ever, or I can be normal. They are pretty much like certain bad foods I can eat on somedays and not on others.
-Caffeine = Alright if i'm not in flare. Good to get things going, like normal people. It takes some aclimatisation to get used to. Inititally it will give me belly aches if I haven't been drinking it for ages, but then after a few days it settles down. Coffee is the only thing that gets me up and going.
-Alcohol = Quite bad, to the point that I generally won't drink. The day after my stomach aches and I go to the toilet dozens of times.
-Coke = Never tried.
-Mephedrone and phet = Lots of shitting. Lots and lots of shitting. The day after my bowel feels unsteady and I can't trust farts.
-2CB = Fine. Shitting on come up, but otherwise little to no consequences the day after.

There aren't many negative interactions with recreational drugs and the medicines they give you for crohns. Obviously certain party drugs will keep you up and weaken your immune system, and if your immune system is already weakened by the medicine, then you're almost certain to get a cold after a big night out. Taking drugs with corticosteroids isn't brilliant. Apart from weed I keep almost all drug use down to once or twice a year, so I try not to push my luck. When I was drinking every day my condition just worsened.

Tell your friend it's not the end of the world. When she goes to hospital meetings and clinic appointments she's going to be bombarded with horrible outcomes. In all likelyhood she won't have that bad of an outcome. She might have a major operation or two, and she will probably be medicated for the rest of her life, and have bad years and stuff, but it's fine. I don't bother with support groups because I just get on with it and largely pretend I don't have this disease, but some people find that helpful. Staying fit, healthy, and active is key. Like it is with most people I guess.

The main reason for my post wasn't about whether or not she could take drugs. I don't even know why I slipped that in, because I don't really care, at the moment. I just wondered, for a second, if it was life-long abstinence that was needed, or I could make her feel a bit better - by saying things will sort of get back to normal. I was quite emotional, when I wrote my original post, so my main aim was to read something to make me feel better about it. Like I said, she's returning to Sweden, so her drug use wouldn't involve me.

Sorry to hear that you have the same condition, but you've made me feel a bit better about the whole thing. I'm hoping she'll be one of the luckier ones, who can just get on with her life. She's a pretty determined person.

atm: I have already read up on the disease, and found out quite a lot about it. I didn't even know what it really was, until yesterday, and it's pretty shit. It was more the personal experience stuff I wanted to hear - and you, MSB, and others have done that for me. :)

The progression can pretty much go either way. How old is she may I ask? The age at which it rears it's head seems to have quite a big bearing in how the disease will progress. A lot of people don't even find out they have it until they are 30 or even 40, but most are diagnosed late teens early twenties. I would put her mind at rest about the 'can't have children' thing (that seems to be the main thing that worries women), because i've met loads of women who have had children despite having crohn's just fine :)

I thought of you the minute i saw the thread actually .

I thought of you the minute i saw the thread actually .

Cheers mate :)

Treacle. One thing I did think of, that your friend could be contending with, is that it forces you to realise that you are human and that bad things can happen to you. It sounds stupid but up until that point I felt pretty much invincible. And it wasn't until I began getting hospitalised that I would even acknowledge there was a real problem there. The sooner your friend just accepts that she has a disease and gets on with managing it the better the outcome she will have. I've heard the drug situation in Sweden is shit, so she won't really be able to hide away in a druggy haze like I did for a few years, so that will help. She might also be relieved that she finally has an answer as to why her stomach had been giving her so much grief her whole life, so there's that as a positive. Now she knows what's wrong she can sort it out and get better.

She's 28. She stopped smoking, instantly. Yeah, I've heard all about how fucking boring Sweden is. That's why she's going there, so she can stay straight. Aside from the morphine, she's certainly not planning on taking anything. She's got a two year old daughter (as said in first post), so she probably isn't worrying about having another, right now. More like worrying about if she's going to be able to look after the daughter she does have. I don't really know anyone with any sort of illness, except my nan. I've only been to two funerals, so I'm not really experienced with losing people, and this does make me think about how we treat ourselves. I know she's not likely to die, but it's still thought provoking. I can't even imagine one of my mates dying. Rockstar's story was horiffic. It was pretty upsetting, just to read it. Anyway..... positive thoughts.

She's 28. She stopped smoking, instantly. Yeah, I've heard all about how fucking boring Sweden is. That's why she's going there, so she can stay straight. Aside from the morphine, she's certainly not planning on taking anything. She's got a two year old daughter (as said in first post), so she probably isn't worrying about having another, right now. More like worrying about if she's going to be able to look after the daughter she does have. I don't really know anyone with any sort of illness, except my nan. I've only been to two funerals, so I'm not really experienced with losing people, and this does make me think about how we treat ourselves. I know she's not likely to die, but it's still thought provoking. I can't even imagine one of my mates dying. Rockstar's story was horiffic. It was pretty upsetting, just to read it. Anyway..... positive thoughts.

That's good to hear. Sorry, I glossed over the second paragraph! It's something that only affects quality of life, rather than longevity in any real way. Don't let it worry you to the point that you could lose her to it at any time. It just fucks you over to varying degrees really. It comes as a shock, but it just becomes normal after a little while. She might want to make sure she has good emergency back up plans in place for rapid hospitalisation if she has a 2 year old though. I can end up in hospital at the drop of a hat for days or weeks at a time. Hopefully it won't come to that, and probably it will only happen once or twice if it does. But it's worth the back up. A lot of people with crohns go their whole life without a major hospitalisation, and many just feel annoying discomfort, so let's hope she falls into that group :)

Hi I have crohns and am injecting humira every 2 weeks would I be able to take 2cb or other recreational party drugs the odd time thank you

Welcome to Bluelight Mick.

I cannot comment on 2C - B, but I have (had....) 2 close friends who both had the condition and they continued to use standard party drugs on weekends (primarily MDMA, amphetamine sulphate, cocaine hydrochloride and cannabis) without it seeming to cause any directly relatable problems.

They did still continue to have episodes typical of others with the condition, occasionally leaving them extremely poorly for periods but they did not seem to be any relationship between them and their 'recreational' drug use.

As such I cannot provide a back or white answer - just be careful and make sure that your Crohn's is well controlled and that you are well within a symptom free period before using any drugs or alcohol for recreational purposes.

I don't know how that would interact with your medication mick and I'd be very wary.

I only have IBS and I cannot take anything really with out being in agony for hours. Not worth it for me. Any 2c would have me doubled over in pain for hours.

I don't know how that would interact with your medication mick and I'd be very wary.

I only have IBS and I cannot take anything really with out being in agony for hours. Not worth it for me. Any 2c would have me doubled over in pain for hours.

Have you isolated your IBS to any particular allergens/foods Sadie? Just interested, I know you seem to have it pretty heavy.

I was diagnosed with IBS but it was kind of irritating because it just meant that I had an ambiguous name for my symptoms and little else (other than offers of medication). Gluten/lactose/eggs seem to cause me the problems though, and they happened in that order. I'm always intrigued to know what actually caused the problems. I'm fine if I avoid them.

Again, I understand you have it pretty heavy so I'm not indicating you just need to cut cheese out your diet or something patronising. I'm sure you've been through all that.