Criminal Record and employment

ah, sorry, must be getting acronyms I know nothing about mixed up. this is off topic anyway, but I was pretty shocked myself, I'm sure many other people will be surprised some day by it - whether indirectly through an officer making a decision based on the info that they recieve, or through a direct confrontation in a job interview which did a more thorough background than anticipated by the unlucky subject.

Only law enforcement agencies have access to these databases. A person seeking employment in the private sector or a non-law enforcement government position would not be subject to a search of NCIC/CII records as these employers do not have access to this information.

In California, it's a crime for any person to willfully receive any information on any person from these databases except for criminal investigatory purposes. Every year in CA a bunch of cops (mostly rookies) get fired from their agencies for looking up celebrities, ex-girlfriends (etc) on NCIC, CII and/or DMV.

X

Last edited:
K Adam...related question. I got a deferred judgement, so the main point of the post is kinda moot anyway. However...will the arrest, deferred judgement, active probation, or any of that show up on NCIC if I get pulled over while driving, or if a cop runs my name for any other reason?

Thanks for all the help man!

This is the situation in California, other states may vary:

Prior arrests can only be disclosed to an officer during a formal criminal investigation. When you're pulled over by a police officer, only a check for warrants and previous felony (or certain specified misdemeanors related to sex crimes or domestic violence) convictions can be made through NCIC.

I'm not sure if probation/parole status would appear, but my instinct says no. In 1998, when I was trained on NCIC these had not yet been incorporated into the system.

X

^^^
Are you sure officer's can't see probation status? My boyfriend got pulled over a few years ago when he was on probation and had just come home from the bars, upon which the officerers made a comment about him drinking. I would suspect highly that probation status would be something available to officers during a routine traffic stop.

Edit, ok...I see you said your opinion was about California only. I guess Nebraska must be different....but still, I would think it a necessary tool for any officer in any state. *shrug*

The new NCIC 2000 system includes probation/parole information. I don't think misdemeanor probation would be included though.

Edit, ok...I see you said your opinion was about California only. I guess Nebraska must be different....but still, I would think it a necessary tool for any officer in any state. *shrug*

Well, I was referring to information in NCIC regarding probation/parole, but as stated above, this has been incorporated into NCIC.

Information on parole/probation for persons convicted in California has been available for many years to peace officers in California through CLETS/CII, a much quicker and more reliable system than NCIC.

X