• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Crazy dreams / cannabis withdrawal

time traveler said:
THE BEST PART OF QUITING SMOKING FOR ME, WAS THE LUCID DREAMS

When i smoke i dont dream. When i quit the dreams were so lucid and magicall

but then i built up a dream tollerance. Just like everything else dammit.

same here. i never remembered my dreams when i was smoking every night, and when i quit smoking 3 weeks ago, i started remembering my dreams within 4 days.

before i smoked id always remembered my dreams and had a couple lucid ones. i haven't built up a tolerance to my dreams though haha. tokin tonight might not help that..

you cant ever build up a tolerance for dreams. Your consciousness has to do something to atone for its boredom. Dreams happen every nite, you just don't remember them every nite.

ezbakeoven said:
youre dreams arent more vivid themselves, its just that because youre not sleeping as deeply as you would when youve been smoking, you are more awake for your dreams, and you can remember them better. you always have vivid dreams, its just that now youre awake enough to know about them

Studies have shown that habitual marijuana usage suppresses rem (rapid eye movement) sleep, which is perhaps the deepest stage of sleep where both dreaming and growth and repair occur. As such, when you stop smoking it follows that you will begin dreaming again. As for why the dreams are most lucid and intense for the first few days after abstaining, I do not know but I could speculate that it's because of some sort of cumulative effect.

I have never had any sort of dream (that I could remember having when I woke up) when I've smoked in the past week or so. Whenever I don't smoke, the dreams return. It almost makes it seem worthwhile to not smoke, because I get to have dreams again.

when i go about 3 days solid without smoking i get the vivd dreams too but never when im high what the hell is this about?

beegurl said:
I know a few people who smoked weed every day, then when they tried to give up they got nightmares so vivid that they would wake up feeling exhausted and hardly got any proper sleep for a few weeks.

I'm curious to know if this a common symptom of giving up weed?

I used to be into testing theories and such whenever I'd smoke, and dreaming was one of them. I, as well, tested out the theory about giving up smoking for however long and then seeing what happened to my dreams.

They were the most vivd dreams I'd ever had.

I can remember every single detail to this day. And not only were they vivid, but they were night terrors.
No, not nightmares. Night fucking terrors. I woke up terrified every day/night, and a few times I'd wake up in sweats or crying. One dream I remember I felt what it was like to die and I felt every second of it, and even worse, when I woke up I still had the feeling and I couldn't move.

One dream actually resulted in hair loss on the back of my head, which didn't regrow back in until four months later or so. The doctor told me it was stress related.
yeah no shit.

Aha. So yeah, to sum that up, yes, it happens to me every time I quit.

I haven't dreamed in months. :)

it is different 4 evry 1 some may have weird dreams 4 a couple days others a couple weeks....i have quit for abwt 9 days now and i have had weird dreams every night since.....i am able 2 remember them better & better every night.....i see people i havent seen 4 years, i dream about smoking weed, buying weed, and finding weed in my house, i even dream about driving around in my car alot!!! but at least once per nite i dream about smoking its really weird....they dont really bother me and i dont really enjoy them so my feelings 2wards them r kind of neutral. all i can say is it is defin8ly really really WEIRD!!!!

i suffer from intence dreams aswell.. they are like nightmares but at the same time i really enjoy them. i always dream about my old girlfriends but we are always in very odd situations

Your brain is always going to come up with drinking/drugging dreams when you have been on a substance for a long time and then abruptly quit. Best thing to do is quit in rehab or controlled environment. Cheers

I Get this EXACTLY. I toss and turn and wake up sweating, not being able to find a comfortable position or stay at a normal temperature. It goes away after 2-3 days like cire said, never ever weeks.

This is not the case. I stopped smoking weed and started eating heavy doses of Klonopin, during which I had intense dreams & nightmares (although not always bad). It was from stopping the marijuana even though I was still under the influence of an even more powerful sedative and I was therefore sleeping "harder".

To the OP: Yes vivid dreaming/nightmares is a VERY common side-effect when discontinuing marijuana. I like to say dreaming as opposed to nightmares because in my experience, the dreams are not always bad- just always very vivid & intense.

- Rob ;)

Try taking 5+mg of melatonin, then talk to me about crazy dreams :eek:

Sometimes I'll stop smoking pot for a few days just so I can get those crazy vivid dreams! I usually only get a couple nights worth of good dreams though, so I generally go back to smoking after that.

I wouldn't call them nightmares for me, but they're always very intense, with an epic feel and scope to them, usually some quest or a mission.

The last two times I smoked I actually had some pretty weird dreams, I usually don't when I smoke, and it usually occurs when I'm not smoking.

I don't know i would say i had cannabis withdraws but....

When i was stupid and i first started smoking weed i loved the high i got and i always wanted more and i wanted i high like no other, so someone introduced me to oxycotin and i loved it so imagine a 8th grader fucked up on oxy's 24/7.. I kinda used cannabis to i guess help me quit so when i was withdrawing from oxy's i would smoke and when i didnt have weed shit got nasty. I got sick throwing up.

But weed has helped me through plenty so i love it for that! It saved me :)

back when i smoked every day i would have difficulties sleeping if i didn't smoke that day but i never had nightmares. whenever i would try to go to sleep my thoughts would just start going and going and going and never let up to the point that i couldn't fall asleep.