• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Cocaine Crack More Neurotoxic Than Sniffed Cocaine

G_Chem

Moderator: OD
Staff member
Well for a long time I spoke of methylecgonidine having some effect on the crack high as it is a pyrolysis product when smoked. I theorized that this impurity gave crack the extra tweaky edge and subsequent comedown. As is usual with many of my theories, I’ve now got some evidence.

Here we see methylecgonidine (aka anhydroecgonine methyl ester) causes much increased neurotoxicity via M1 and M3 muscarinic receptors.

Here’s some quotes..

“Along with cocaine, anhydroecgonine methyl ester (AEME), a cocaine pyrolysis product, is also absorbed by the lungs. Up to 80% of cocaine can be converted to AEME, depending on the temperature, the purity of the crack cocaine and the smoking devices.”

“AEME seems to be a neurotoxic agent with greater neurotoxic potential than cocaine, showing an additive effect when combined.”

Antagonists of M1 create delirium and apparently agonism causes anxiety and effects on memory. And neurotoxicity is often associated with increased depression and other symptoms which we see with crack.

I’ve also experimented with vaporizing purified cocaine freebase with zero flame touching, and experienced none of the usual problems associated with typical smoking.

Interesting stuff..

-GC

That's quite interesting. It makes me wonder what other drugs have unique effects from products of combustion.

Now you see where my head is on the daily ;)

Well I guess THCA to THC but the effects aren’t super dramatically different. Just more bioavailability?

But I too wonder… ROA’s can have all sorts of fascinating effects. Back to cocaine, orally consuming leads to alot of benzoylecgonine which doesn’t have much psychoactivity compared to cocaine and AEME.

-GC

So how neurotoxic is oral and sniffed cocaine powder? I am asking for a friend. 😏

Seriously, and truthfully I only used it once that I remember orally decades ago-I hate snorting anything, and I am certain 1-2 more times snorting it in bars and clubs when blacked out drunk. I would straight up fiend for it and easily would have became a lifelong addict had I used it the way friends did starting on weekends at parties occasionally, and then daily. Cocaine was and is always easy to get from dealers, people had it or would easily get it for parties, or dealers would ask if you wanted it. Free base cooked coke and then crack was available but I never used either as the powder cocaine was strong enough.