• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Councilman Credits Marijuana For Helping Put His Cancer In Remission

LogicSoDeveloped

Bluelighter
Los Angeles Councilman Bill Rosendahl announced Thursday his cancer is in remission.

The 67-year-old Rosendahl gave major credit to medical marijuana for his recovery.

Rosendahl told reporters last July he was diagnosed with Stage 4 cancer of the ureter, located between his kidney and bladder.

“Frankly I was given a death sentence,” he said. Doctors told him he would not live to see last November’s election and prompted his decision not to seek a third term.

“I went though five months of hell,” Rosendahl said.

Marijuana allowed him to get a full and painless night’s sleep and he said he started feeling stronger about two months ago.

“I hope to live another 30 years,” Rosehdahl said, “I’m very optimistic.”

Rosendahl is returning to the private sector now that his district is set to transfer to his chief of staff, Mike Bonin, who won in the March 5 primary election.

Rosendahl supports Proposition D, one of three medical marijuana measures on the May 21 ballot that would keep about 130 existing pot dispensaries open in Los Angeles, while restricting others from opening.

source: http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2013...uana-for-helping-put-his-cancer-in-remission/

I am a total and complete supporter of medical marijuana but to claim that cannabis put your cancer into remission with no proof seems very propagandist to me. I am fully aware certain cannabinoids have been shown to have anticarcinogen actions but this is still very, very, far from proof.

One day cannabis may be used to cure certain types of cancers, but as of now it is much more useful in the treatment of symptoms of the disease itself as well as the side effects of chemotherapy. It is also much more likely that individual cannabinoids will be used rather then the plethora of chemicals found in the cannabis flower.

Oxycontin and midazolam would also have allowed him to get a good night's sleep, if he used those drugs I wonder if he would credit them for the remission of his cancer?

By what mechanism does cannabis inhibit tumor growth?

Also, is the epithelial tissue of the ureter permeable to cannabis metabolites in the urine?

I expect detailed answers to these questions within the half hour.

By what mechanism does cannabis inhibit tumor growth?

Cannabinoids may cause antitumor effects by various mechanisms, including induction of cell death, inhibition of cell growth, and inhibition of tumor angiogenesis invasion and metastasis.[9-12] One review summarizes the molecular mechanisms of action of cannabinoids as antitumor agents.[13] Cannabinoids appear to kill tumor cells but do not affect their nontransformed counterparts and may even protect them from cell death. These compounds have been shown to induce apoptosis in glioma cells in culture and induce regression of glioma tumors in mice and rats. Cannabinoids protect normal glial cells of astroglial and oligodendroglial lineages from apoptosis mediated by the CB1 receptor.[14]

The effects of delta-9-THC and a synthetic agonist of the CB2 receptor were investigated in hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC).[15] Both agents reduced the viability of hepatocellular carcinoma cells in vitro and demonstrated antitumor effects in hepatocellular carcinoma subcutaneous xenografts in nude mice. The investigations documented that the anti-HCC effects are mediated by way of the CB2 receptor. Similar to findings in glioma cells, the cannabinoids were shown to trigger cell death through stimulation of an endoplasmic reticulum stress pathway that activates autophagy and promotes apoptosis.

There is a lot more at my source: http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/cam/cannabis/healthprofessional/page4

Also, is the epithelial tissue of the ureter permeable to cannabis metabolites in the urine?
No idea.

I expect detailed answers to these questions within the half hour.
Sorry to be both incomplete and late! ;)

Of the type of cancer this guy had (transitional cell carcinoma), Wikipedia says:

By far the important cause is cigarette smoking, which contributes to approximately half of the disease burden.

This doesn't need to be said here, but it's so ironic that the legal one kills you and the illegal one saves you.

Also of interest, from Wikipedia:

Interestingly, risk is lowered by increased liquid consumption, presumably as a consequence of increased urine production and thus less "dwell time" on the urothelial surface. Conversely, risk is increased among long-haul truck drivers and others in whom long urine dwell-times are encountered.

It seems then that substances in the urine do diffuse into the cells of the ureters. This is probably the main way that the carcinogens and cannabinoids get to them as well.

Don't hold your piss in people. Piss often, like your life depended on it. Even if you're in public, piss at will!

I love to piss. I live to piss. I'm pissing right now!