• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Could Turmeric and DXM cause Serotonin Syndrome?

Lysergaman

Bluelighter
I’ve been taking 1000mg of Turmeric and 10mg of Piperine (black pepper) almost every day. I was thinking about trying a 2nd Plateu Robotrip, But was concerned about the MAOI properties of Tumermic. Ive heard some people say the MAOI effects are negligible and others have said it’s potentially dangerous. Would it be safe to take the DXM if I didn’t take the Turmeric and Piperine that day? Or would it take longer to leave my system? I’d appreciate any insight on the subject

Tumeric is a kitchen spice, not a drug, and certainly not a MAOI or nobody would be allowed to eat curry while on antidepressants, MDMA, certain painkillers and so on.

I think Serotonin Syndrome is a lot harder to get than most people think.
I take 150mg Sertraline, 150mg Trazodone and 600mg Tramadol every day. And I often use DXM on top of that and I have never had Serotonin Syndrome.

Are tumeric and black pepper even recreational at all?

I think Serotonin Syndrome is a lot harder to get than most people think.
I take 150mg Sertraline, 150mg Trazodone and 600mg Tramadol every day. And I often use DXM on top of that and I have never had Serotonin Syndrome.

Are tumeric and black pepper even recreational at all?
Turmeric isn’t recreational, I use it as a CYP3A4 Inhibitor to potentate Kratom. The Black Pepper is there to increase the bioavailability of the Turmeric by 2000% since it isn’t easily absorbed on its own. I’ve been told in the past that you should wait 2 weeks after stopping an MAOI before taking a serotinergic drug. I just wasn’t sure if Turmeric actually acts like an MAOI or if the effect is negligible

I’ve been taking 1000mg of Turmeric and 10mg of Piperine (black pepper) almost every day. I was thinking about trying a 2nd Plateu Robotrip, But was concerned about the MAOI properties of Tumermic. Ive heard some people say the MAOI effects are negligible and others have said it’s potentially dangerous. Would it be safe to take the DXM if I didn’t take the Turmeric and Piperine that day? Or would it take longer to leave my system? I’d appreciate any insight on the subject

Turmeric is a very weak MAO-A inhibitor in vitro. But something having activity in vitro does not mean that it will have activity in vivo. The oral bioavailability of turmeric is extremely poor, less than 1%. So even if you ate a pound of the stuff, given how weak it is and the fact that almost none of it it absorbed, you would get no significant enzyme inhibition. Taking it with piperine might increase bioavailability, but it still wouldn't make a big difference. It's just really weak. In fact, given that it is so weak, even if all of it were absorbed you would not get any enzyme inhibition from it from the amounts used for seasoning. Assuming 100% oral bioavailability, the IC50 would be over 100 grams. And you need to inhibit at least 80% of MAO to get neurotransmitter accumulation in the synapse. So the actual dose needed would be twice that much. So you would need 200 grams of the stuff. But since almost no turmeric gets absorbed, even if you eat 200 grams you'll be fine. You would have to inject 200 grams of pure turmeric to risk any serotonin syndrome when combined to a SRI. Conclusion: eat as much turmeric as you want.

If you want a better MAO-A inhibitor, try corgyline. Moclobemide works as well, but it requires constant dosing because it is a reversible inhibitor and has a realtively short half-life.