• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Could it be dangerous to take drugs sublingually?

glab

Bluelighter
i like to take benzos, stims and z-drugs sublingually.
Especially z-drugs work better this way cause if you have a full stomach then it takes an awful long time to kick in.

However what worries me is what if there are substances in the pills which are harmful when they are directly exposed to mucous membranes
without being diluted by taking the pills with water?

I remember one time I took lexapro under the tongue and it attacked the mucous membrane.
Exactly at the spot where the lexapro was lying under the tongue the upper layer of the tissue peeled off.

Xanax is the only drug I've ever used sublingually. I hated the taste so I try to have an empty stomach for this reason. I imagine lots of pills have ingredients in them that can cause irritation when used this way. Unless you absolutely need the pill to kick in really fast, I don't see the advantage in doing this.

Only lexapro really attacked the mucous membrane. I have no issues with benzos and z-drugs. Only zopiclone takes awful. The problem is when I go to bed and dont have an empty stomach then it takes very long for the z-drug to kick in. That's why I put them under the tongue. I was just worrying what if there's stuff in the pills which could attack the tissue. For example alcohol can cause throat cancer. Then I thought what if pills could do this as well if they get direct skin contact. Aspirin can also damage the stomach if you take it as a pill and then it lies in the stomach and attacks it. But then again I thought if there was something aggressive in the pills which is unhealthy to the mouth then wouldn't you first of all get something like an ulcer so that you'd notice that this causes damage? Or can you basically not notice anything at all and it's still dangerous?

Noticed pretty much zero difference with taking Xanax sublingually or by just swallowing the dose. Maybe a small difference in the speed of onset, but nothing more really. This is coming from a guy who uses Xanax whenever he can find it.