• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Could I Have Lung Cancer? And Why Do I Only Feel Vague Relief?

ChemicallyEnhanced

Bluelighter
Background: I am a heavy (25-35 cigarettes most days) smoker. I'm overall in poor health with many chronic health problems. THREE of my grandparents have died of lung cancer.

I've had a chronic cough for many, MANY months that has been gradually getting worse. Sometimes I feel short of breath for no reason (I'm slim, fit and in my early 30s) and it doesn't seem related to how many cigarettes I've had recently (ie whether I've been only having 20 a day recently or 40+) and it's just as common when I'm sitting resting as when I'm doing something active. Mostly, for the last three or four months I have had a constant pain in my back, specifically my (I don't know what counts as left or right lol...the side my heart is on) ribcage to that side, but the pain is in one small area and over the months has become there more and more to the point where it is almost constant now. There's no joints there and I have not hurt or injured the area in any way (I've broken ribs before and it feels nothing like that). It's definitely not muscular, and I both had shingles last year and have diabetic neuropathy in my legs so I am very familiar with nerve pain and it is not that either.
This was the first/main symptom my grandmother had with her lung cancer.

And also...why am I not worried or scared in any way? All I feel is slightly relieved at the idea it could possibly be terminal? I have tried to kill myself many, many times over the years, with the first serious attempt at ending my life being when I was only 11 years old. While I don't feel actively suicidal and haven't for a good few years now, I also do not un general do anything that might prolong my life, either: I make no attempts to quit smoking or smoke less, I don't exercise, I'm a type 1 diabetic and never take my insulin, I abuse my prescription medications, etc.
I just...I dunno. I absolutely do not actively want to die...but at the same time, the idea that I may only live months or a couple years seems a massive relief as opposed to another like 50 years.

Honestly not sure what I'm asking here? I just feel kinda lost and confused. Maybe advise?

Despite the above I do plan to make a doctors appointment on Monday.

The reality is that any of can die at any given moment, nothing is certain except change (and death)

You may have cancer, any of us might have it. A lot of us will suffer from odd pains too.

Sounds like the only thing that is gonna help you here is to get tests and see. Make a pact with yourself to get that sorted, then decide not to pay it any heed until the tests/results, as there's zero possible benefit to you in doing so

I’d definitely bring it up with your physician.

Sounds like you’ve had a pretty rough go of it…I’m curious, what made you stop being actively suicidal?

Background: I am a heavy (25-35 cigarettes most days) smoker. I'm overall in poor health with many chronic health problems. THREE of my grandparents have died of lung cancer.

I've had a chronic cough for many, MANY months that has been gradually getting worse. Sometimes I feel short of breath for no reason (I'm slim, fit and in my early 30s) and it doesn't seem related to how many cigarettes I've had recently (ie whether I've been only having 20 a day recently or 40+) and it's just as common when I'm sitting resting as when I'm doing something active. Mostly, for the last three or four months I have had a constant pain in my back, specifically my (I don't know what counts as left or right lol...the side my heart is on) ribcage to that side, but the pain is in one small area and over the months has become there more and more to the point where it is almost constant now. There's no joints there and I have not hurt or injured the area in any way (I've broken ribs before and it feels nothing like that). It's definitely not muscular, and I both had shingles last year and have diabetic neuropathy in my legs so I am very familiar with nerve pain and it is not that either.

And also...why am I not worried or scared in any way? All I feel is slightly relieved at the idea it could possibly be terminal? I have tried to kill myself many, many times over the years, with the first serious attempt at ending my life being when I was only 11 years old. While I don't feel actively suicidal and haven't for a good few years now, I also do not un general do anything that might prolong my life, either: I make no attempts to quit smoking or smoke less, I don't exercise, I'm a type 1 diabetic and never take my insulin, I abuse my prescription medications, etc.
I just...I dunno. I absolutely do not actively want to die...but at the same time, the idea that I may only live months or a couple years seems a massive relief as opposed to another like 50 years.

Honestly not sure what I'm asking here? I just feel kinda lost and confused. Maybe advise?

So sorry for your troubles. Seems to me this is something you need to get out in front of, and here's how you just might be able to do that. Are you familiar with Rick Simpsons Oil? Please read everything in the following links carefully. RSO could be a game changer for you. I sure hope so.

🙏

When I was a heavy smoker I also had a near constant pain on the left side of my chest, felt like my lung.

It went away when I switched to vaping.

Cough and shortness of breath should be expected from years of smoking.

I’d definitely bring it up with your physician.

Sounds like you’ve had a pretty rough go of it…I’m curious, what made you stop being actively suicidal?

People don't like this answer most of the time, but medications. Before any meds I have psychotic depression (Severe Major Depressive DIsorder, with Psychosis) and when I finally saw a doctor, I was put on Sertraline (Zoloft) which literally saved my life. People like to shit on anti-depressants, especially SSRI's but it made an incredible difference for me, almost miraculous. I remained suicidal on and off (this was in 2010 I was prescribed it) mostly just to a long serious of trauma during that time. The additions of Thorazine and Trazodone helped. Gabapentin also helps as do opioids.

I'm 75 and at my age I'm not concerned with when I die I'm more concerned with how I'll die. I was diagnosed with lung cancer at the end of April. I had a terrible cough that wouldn't quit and that's when they discovered it. I'm treating myself using the Fenbendazole protocol. The doctors have done nothing, they're morons. I'm trying now to get to a better cancer center for a second opinion, I need to know if it's growing or if the protocol is working. Good luck to you.

The breathlessness and I unexplained back pain sounds more indicative of a heart condition to me.

Possibly something like that, I highly doubt it's cancer. 25-35 ciggies a day isn't as heavy as you'd think. I believe they consider one pack, 20 ciggies a day to be a "light smoker." How many packs a day did your grandparents smoke?

I know a friend of mine's grandfather used to smoke 4 packs a day, lots of people in his family would smoke 3-4 packs a day. He's had a chronic cough for a long time and is always clearing his throat and I believe he did have some not major lung cancer of some sort where he needed some tumors removed but he's been in remission for years. He stopped smoking them a long time ago but apparently he smokes a lot of weed now.

When you say you abuse your medications what are those exactly? I'm sure it isn't the SSRI and would assume it's a benzo or something. At any rate I wouldn't worry much about cancer, you max out at not even 2 packs a day and are still pretty young. Like the person above me said maybe it's something related to the heart. Would definitely bring all this up to your doctors if you haven't already. Get some X-rays and whatnot, and do your best to cut back or quit.

There are lots of ways to make it easier from the gum to patches and such, even a good psychedelic experience has been known to treat addictions, particularly DMT but any could really. I remember reading a story about The Beatles partying on acid when their Sgt. Peppers album came out and George Harrison kept taking ciggs from people and throwing them out saying they're no good, and he was probably the heaviest cigarette smoker, at least it appeared that way to me in the Get Back film. I've also heard of people using kava to kill nicotine cravings. There isn't much on it online but there are some testimonies and I do know a few people who once they started taking kava felt less like smoking. In some cases smoking killed their kava buzz which made them want them even less.

Good luck.

I'm 75 and at my age I'm not concerned with when I die I'm more concerned with how I'll die. I was diagnosed with lung cancer at the end of April. I had a terrible cough that wouldn't quit and that's when they discovered it. I'm treating myself using the Fenbendazole protocol. The doctors have done nothing, they're morons. I'm trying now to get to a better cancer center for a second opinion, I need to know if it's growing or if the protocol is working. Good luck to you.

Good luck to you, too!

The breathlessness and I unexplained back pain sounds more indicative of a heart condition to me.

Yikes! My mum actually has a rare heart condition (oddly, it mostly only occurs in Asian men and my mum is a white lady) and it's genetic. I've filled out a form for a scan thing to see if I have it too but I keep forgetting to send it off.
The pain isn't coming from my heart, though.

I'm 75 and at my age I'm not concerned with when I die I'm more concerned with how I'll die.
This is exactly how I feel and I've felt that way for many years. I've lived a full life. If I were to get a terminal diagnosis right now, my only concerns would be about the quality of my remaining life-- Will I be in severe pain? Will I be bedridden? Will I lose control of bladder/bowels? Will I lose my mind? Depending on the answers to these questions I may schedule an early departure.

Yeah I somewhat agree...
Chronic smoker, uncontrolled diabetes, long list of neuroleptics/antidepressants medication which cause QT prolongation, poor nutrition, heart conditions in your family, etc... Unfortunately the odds aren't exactly in your favor, except for the fact that you're still young. But yeah you should get yourself checked. It could be something cardiovascular that's also affecting your lungs.