• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Harm Reduction Could Chlorpheniramine (an CYP2DA inhibitor) ruin a Codeine or Hydrocodone high?

supersonic89

Bluelighter
Hey buddies,

The last week I was quite congested (it is winter where I live) and I was taking some chlorpheniramine. I know that chlorpheniramine is almost a kind of SSRI and apparently it is an inhibitor of the CY2PDA enzyme. The same that most opioids use to metabolize into more potent metabolites.

I was planning to take some Codeine today but am I afraid that this chlorpheniramine crap will inhibit the metabolization of Codeine? I'm right? Or low doses are not very worrisome (2 mg x 6 days) and I know this stuff has a long ass half-life.

The antihistamines are generally weak inhibitors there shouldn't be an issue. Promethazine inhibits CYP2D6 and it seems to behave well with codeine.

Ok thank you very much @negrogesic you are a person with extensive knowledge so I totally believe you.

One last question, if I want to mix the Codeine with tramadol should I take the Codeine first or the tramadol? Maybe the tramadol first until it metabolize into odsmt?

Codeine and tramadol are metabolized by the same enzyme so it doesn't really make a big difference.

Codeine and tramadol are metabolized by the same enzyme so it doesn't really make a big difference.

So taking both would there be no problem? Or would it cause a kind of saturation of the drugs in the enzyme that metabolizes them?

So taking both would there be no problem? Or would it cause a kind of saturation of the drugs in the enzyme that metabolizes them?
Well it wouldn't be a problem insofar as it doesn't matter in which order you take them, and yes, there is a sort of "cap" at how powerful these drugs can be as they first need to be metabolized before they are active compounds