• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Could bupropion make MDMA more neurotoxic?

Ghaenrynquau

Greenlighter
So MDMA-s neurotoxicity is due to dopamine and bupropion raises dopamine. Could it be harmful?

Because there is a study (http://jpet.aspetjournals.org/content/353/1/102.long) that says that bupropion raises MDMA-s concentration and inhibits its metabolism to MDA which I've read is somehow a lot more neurotoxic than MDMA I thought it could do the opposite and started taking 300 mg of bupropion 5h before doing MDMA, but now after having closely read about dopamine being toxic I am afraid I might be damaging myself.

What do you think?

Okay, didn't read the whole study, but I have impressions.

In all honesty, bupropion is a really atypical chemical. It's profile doesn't explain its indications well, except as a therapy for tobacco/nicotine dependence.

You've got one study of sixteen white people taking bupropion once (not every day for 8-12 weeks). Not really enough to create a scientific conclusion.

"...no evidence that DA mediates the subjective effects of MDMA." Not plausible.

As both act as substrates for NET/DAT, I could see competition going on.

In all, MDMA is toxic enough. Adding more chemicals to the mix is dangerous.

Buproprion, when taken orally, is actually a prodrug for hydroxybuproprion (Cmax much much higher) which is not anywhere near as strong as a DAT ligand. More of a NE agent.

I was under the impression that buproprion was a reuptake inhibitor and not a releasing agent as well.

If the drug behaves as a "typical" NRI then that's enough to severely decrease the effects of MDMA, making it pretty much pointless to do the two in combination. Can't find the paper right now but I recall reading one where just a selective NRI alone was enough to greatly decrease the stimulant properties of MDx.

Yeah that's what I thought.

That's what I thought too. Aren't NET/DAT names for their respective transmembrane presynaptic (reuptake) transporters? Just trying to be as clear as I can.

I also read that it *decreases* release of nor/epinephrine, idk though. The chemical is a mystery to be.

Yeah that's what I was trying to say. Reverse transport and the reuptake inhibition compete because they work in counter ways on the same substrate (not sure if I used that term right).

Buproprion, when taken orally, is actually a prodrug for hydroxybuproprion (Cmax much much higher) which is not anywhere near as strong as a DAT ligand. More of a NE agent.

I was under the impression that buproprion was a reuptake inhibitor and not a releasing agent as well.

If the drug behaves as a "typical" NRI then that's enough to severely decrease the effects of MDMA, making it pretty much pointless to do the two in combination. Can't find the paper right now but I recall reading one where just a selective NRI alone was enough to greatly decrease the stimulant properties of MDx.
Me and my friends' experience say it enhances MDMA effect just like the study says. Most of MDMAs pleasure comes from serotonin not norepinephrine, no? Bupropion doesn't affect serotonin in any way. We just hope it doesn't also enhance the neurotoxicity.

What bupropion does though is make amphetamine pointless. Bupropion as an NDRI is to amphetamine like SSRI-s to MDMA.