• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Coughing up flem and holding hits in....

Wonka

Bluelighter
So before i smoke i usually have to clear my lungs for a nice hit...ive been smoking since i was 12 so its been a while no ciggs neither....either way ive noticed alot of people hit the good and cough it up immedtialy or even worse blow it out immeditaly.....as for me i hold it in by exhaling threw my nose beforehand and then holding it in and breathing down my nose if i need cool air....works for me....but this coughing from the smoke is pissing me off im always coughing just on the normal. How many of yall suffer from the smokers cough like me and does hitting and holding it in make a difference for you? Keep it burning yall

Have you concidered switching to a vaporizer? I found that it has helped immensely with lung irritation.

I believe cannabis is bronchiodialator, so maybe the smoke is opening up your airways and making it easier for your body to clear out mucus thats built up. I generally only have the problem if I'm smoking cigarettes and weed though.

I cough shit up every morning, then sporadically through the day.

Brown as fuck.

Tastes like shit.

Feels good to spit up.

It's not healthy. It's actually a sign that you should probably stop doing whatever it is that's turning your lungs brown.

We're only human, though........

Strangely, when I do my cardio every day the phlegm turns completely clear. You'd think it'd be the opposite but nope, takes like an hour or two after exercise and then all of a sudden it's like my lungs are caving in with resin-y phlegm.

Ya the color does switch like you said Jibult....exercise seems to help but i also have asthma and hot showers seems to clear my lungs up....yes ChipTrippyFox ive tried vap and it dident effect me much.....dont know why....and your right bigfondue i suffer from asthma which is bascily unatural bronhcial tubes in the lungs...but weed doesnt hurt me ive smoked my self healthy once....the only alternative that worked like a charm and hit harder then dabs was pure concentrate thc edibles ...mixed with a brownie....felt like multiple blunts hit me at once and i never been so high....but my tolerance was fucked for a month....ive ben cutting back on the smoke to about every other few hours. Keep it burning yall

Stop holding hits in, it's unnecessary.

I could go looking but in the University instructions they give research subjects it specifies less than 3 seconds. Basically just breathe in deep and then breathe out. None of this holding it in til you're red nonsense.

Ya i know the lungs absorb the thc rather fast but wasnt clear if the holding in was neccesssary funny you say 3 seconds thats generally my time limit but others i know swear by this holding it in or they cant feel it...maybe its a placebo effect for them?

Also i would like to add I dont think some people know how to smoke proper....ive seen people throw up immedtialy after smoking or say the effects last 5 minutes only? its a strange world

You're correct. Many (probably most) people are stupid.

If they're holding in the hit that long the "effect" that they're going for is oxygen deprivation. Certainly a favorite of many. But also the reason that a vaporizer feels different than smoking a joint--no carbon monoxide inhalation, so no oxygen deprivation high (at least that's my understanding).

Makes sense...vaps might get a second chance in my book but its different takes some getting used to as does everything in life

Sound like you are inhaling too much tar? Better filtering, or maybe a water pipe filled with vodka? To beat the immediate problem, try having a few lugs from a Ventolin inhaler (Salbutamol?) before you smoke, then a good cough first. Or, if you want a less safe and satisfactory route, a couple of Do Do's (Ephedrine) half an hour or so before, then a good, long, healthy hacking cough... then light up once clear! I get asthma, so I appreciate the problem!

Sound like you are inhaling too much tar? Better filtering, or maybe a water pipe filled with vodka?

My god, that sounds like it would taste horrible.

I could be wrong but my imagination's running wild with gag reflexes, stomach bubbles, vodka and idk why but stale cigarette smoke.

ugh

Cut back on smoking if you do it daily, or maybe take a long break and get checked out by a doctor? Get a bong, or vaporizer, and don't hold the smoke or vapor in.

I know people who when they smoke herb hold in the smoke until they exhale and nothing comes out at all, and it's not good to do this.

Don't hold your hits in for more than 5 seconds an that's already overkill. Don't smoke too often. Bongs are really good at tarring up the lungs.

I know 2 bong smokers that cough black.

I don't have any sort of cough but I've only been smoking for almost 4 years.

I could be wrong but my imagination's running wild with gag reflexes, stomach bubbles, vodka and idk why but stale cigarette smoke.

ugh

Sorry if I put you off there... vodka would of course be the 'economy' choice. Absinthe would me my ideal choice I suppose... never tried it though? A nice, smooth 10 year old malt whisky I have however, and most pleasant it was too. Of course the combination with cannabis smoke has (to me) not only a delicious taste, but a rather good extra 'hit' - which may not be to everyone's tastes, I do realised. I used to smoke a pipe, and rather like 'whisky flake' tobacco, especially nice with a few extra drops added. Still, each to their own as I always say...

Perhaps water might be preferable, with perhaps a drop or two of Olbas Oil? Not of course for conniseurs of fine weed - butt maybe better for anyone with breathing problems. It always amused me how dope loving 'puritans' seem to think that it is harmless, and even beneficial. Psychologically, I tend to agree (if not overdone), but lung wise I have serious doubts. Whist rolling big, fat spliffs, using 'light' cigarettes (usually ponced from me!), they merrily slip in a tine cardboard roach, then deeply inhale with great gusto... unaware that 'light cigarettes' often have just the same tobacco, but finer, more obstructive filters.

And then there are those I have known who 'give up smoking', lecture everyone tediously on their weakness and carelessness with their health, ending with ".... I only some dope these days!". THey then proceed to smoke twenty or thirty weak spliffs a day... oh well, who wants to live forever?

Sorry if I put you off there... vodka would of course be the 'economy' choice. Absinthe would me my ideal choice I suppose... never tried it though? A nice, smooth 10 year old malt whisky I have however, and most pleasant it was too. Of course the combination with cannabis smoke has (to me) not only a delicious taste, but a rather good extra 'hit' - which may not be to everyone's tastes, I do realised. I used to smoke a pipe, and rather like 'whisky flake' tobacco, especially nice with a few extra drops added. Still, each to their own as I always say...

Perhaps water might be preferable, with perhaps a drop or two of Olbas Oil? Not of course for conniseurs of fine weed - butt maybe better for anyone with breathing problems. It always amused me how dope loving 'puritans' seem to think that it is harmless, and even beneficial. Psychologically, I tend to agree (if not overdone), but lung wise I have serious doubts. Whist rolling big, fat spliffs, using 'light' cigarettes (usually ponced from me!), they merrily slip in a tine cardboard roach, then deeply inhale with great gusto... unaware that 'light cigarettes' often have just the same tobacco, but finer, more obstructive filters.

And then there are those I have known who 'give up smoking', lecture everyone tediously on their weakness and carelessness with their health, ending with ".... I only some dope these days!". THey then proceed to smoke twenty or thirty weak spliffs a day... oh well, who wants to live forever?

It's just.... you know that feeling in your nose you get when you open a bottle and take a big whiff of the stuff?

I was just imagining that times infinity in my lungs. Seemed awfully unpleasant, lol.

ugh

Accidentally put tequila in a bubbler once. The smoke was much smoother, and the alcohol made it taste better, to me. The resulting high felt somewhat cleaner as well. Almost tasted like candy.

Edit: I never knew holding in hits was unnecessary. So many years of doing it wrong... goes to show how misinformation can spread.

Last edited:
I am of course a time served booze hound, so I love the taste and smell - I know others don't! Each to their own...

Switch to a vaporizer for sure! It's so smooth and gets you baked. The only thing is some of them are very expensive...